Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it was ok to play tug o' war with your pup/dog if they don't win and you always make them let go of the rope after a while so you can throw it? Is is only bad if they consistently get it away from you?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kim...basically, the tug of war games are not really good to play because it teaches your dog aggression. Many people do play these games though and have no problem...but if you have small children around I would say to stay away from any games that promote aggression.
Most dogs would have no real problem with the game, but some dogs may have more of a tendency toward aggressive behavior and playing like that could enhance it.
Years ago, people treated dogs differently than they do now, including this type of game...and rubbing a dog's nose in it's messes...things like that...now, it is frowned upon...changing times...but I think that both changes are for the better.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Jac is right about tug of war my trainer says it is ok as long as you always win at the end and then put the rope up so the dog can't get it but you do have to be careful in the beginning my trainer says to use treats as the trade off to get the rope back so that the dog learns when he/she gives it up they get something in return.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I can see what you mean about encouraging aggressive behavior. Fortunately, Doc does not act aggressive at all but if I had young kids I would not want to play tug with him. Did you hear about the tragic incident where the golden retriever was used to playing tug o'war and accidently choked the little girl in the family by tugging on her scarf? That was so tragic. I'm not sure if I will continue to play it with him to a limited extent or not.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, my...no I had not hear of that...although I can imagine it happening. Dogs can't know the difference...and if you will EVER have small children around (neighbors, friends, family) I'd be very careful about the training of a puppy, and always consider how children will be treated in a similar situation. Thanks for sharing this story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts