Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Cooper for 3 weeks - he's 12 weeks old - and he's been either crated or watched diligently in the kitchen (gated from other areas of the house). He's been doing fairly well potty training - only rarely pees on the hard floor inside when he is caught off guard and gets excited. So we though we could open up the living room to him - hard wood as well, with only an area rug. Puppy-proofed the room (removed Legos, magazines, remotes up high, Nintendo Wii put away, etc.). OR so we thought we puppy-proofed the room!!

Within the first 10 minutes of being in the LR, he had tried to poop on the area rug (I scooted him outside to complete his duties), pulled out the lamp plug and chewed on it, and got his HEAD caught in one of the baby gates - scaring my kids to death! (This is a story for another time.)

Is it reasonable to think I can allow him in this room with supervision? Or should I move the gates back? I felt like I should teach him right from wrong sooner rather than later, but perhaps this was wrong.

Shana & Cooper

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
puppy 101
never ever leave a puppy unattended
i recommend a EXPEN (u probably want to get a tall size 32-36"and CRATE set up

Gating off a area is not safe, i have had 2 clients pup chew tile or baseboards and have to have emergency surgery, another got electricuted ,he thankfully survived
the expen and crate set up gives your pup his own place to be, it aids in housetraining, he can be in his area (say in family room) and still feel like part of the family, but in a safe place, you can get a piece of tile to go under this set up if carpeting is in the area you want him to be in
hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
play pen

So you don't think it's possible to start teaching him right from wrong so early? I just feel that the pen (we have a puppy play pen) is not really teaching him anything. And he is not really unattended...I just had one eye on the TV!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The pen is not in place of housetraining it is in aide of
In any case when a pup has to go ,,he has to go ,,just like a baby, dont expect to much to soon ,,its not fair to the pup or to you ,housebreaking is consistancy ,thats all pup or adult

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I would keep him confined (crated or an x-pen like Nancy suggested are excellent) but, yes, he is too young to know much.
Imagine yourself going to a foreign land, where you don't speak the language and all of their customs go against every instinct you have and you will get an idea of what your pup is going through. Potty time to them is not a bad thing. They are not doing it for spite or for any reason except that they need to. (I know, it seems like they are taunting us... :wink: )
I think that tethering a puppy to you is an excellent way to give him freedom to make choices and yet you are right there to give praise or correction as needed.
You will be surprised how quickly he will learn if you are constantly supervising him. When you can't, even for a minute...he should be confined.
Seems mean, but it isn't...believe me, I learned the hard way!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
The other option is Annmarie's favorite of keeping them tethered to you (on a leash). That way they can be in the room with you, but can't get into trouble.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know about your doodles, but at 12 weeks old my Uma could soar over a pin like the one pictured above. SuperDoodle, flying through the air!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We used the Xpen for Tanner but bought the 48" high one. He never tried to get out but he is pretty layed back. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
In my opinion, he's old enough to start telling him right from wrong. 12 weeks is old enough to start. He won't get it right away, but chewing on a light cord is a no-no in any book. They're a lot like 2 yr olds. They might not understand a lot of things, but NO isn't one of them. Why do you think it's one of the first words kids say?

Cinnamon learned "sit" the first week we had her. We got her at 11 weeks, so he's about the same age as Cinnamon was when she learned it. She didn't get it right off the bat, but it was one of those things we would spend time with after we got home from work. She loved the extra attention and wanted to please us so bad. We were surprised she picked it up so young, but she did. Dogs usually don't get that stuff until 5 or 6 months. Doodles are the smartest dogs on the planet!

As for potty training, that's a whole other book! Tethering worked better for me than anything. It's a little cumbersome, but it keeps tabs on them!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we got max at 13 weeks old and within a week he caught on to alot but
peanut at 9 weeks was clueless hhahaha climbed out of a xpen both 2.5 ft and 4 ft tall the 3rd day we had her

I found Tethering was great and sometimes i used 2 leashes so she had 12 ft to move from me but i had my eye on her.

at 12 weeks old i'd say it depends on the doodle;s personality.
for me Max matured alot faster than peanut

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
At that age if Denver was moving, one of us was following him.
If he was asleep we relaxed until he moved and then we were
in his face, watching for signs and taking him out to potty just in case
he needed to go. If he sniffed something in the house we assumed he would try to eat it and removed him with a distraction. He went nowhere without a human being attached to him period :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm of the mind that the sooner you start training the sooner they can learn. My litter of pups is now 4 weeks old and already they know when I come out and call them to come running. Sometimes I have food for them, sometimes just a pat on the head and praise, but they're learning very quickly.

What I find interesting is that if I just go out and talk to them they look at me rather uninterested and go back to what they were doing. If I make the effort to CALL them they come to me. I really think they're capable of much more than we give them credit for and will learn much younger if we start training young.

Kind of like kids... they're learning things at a much younger age now than say 30 yrs ago... and the biggest difference is that the training starts earlier. You don't know what they can do until you ask.

I sure wouldn't punish them, but with praise and encouragement, it's fun to see what they'll do.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nancy knows best! :) When we picked Boyd up she recommended the crate/expen combo so that's what we used and he loved it. Sure, we had messes in the expen area but that was to be expected since he was such a little tyke.

What we did was make the area small at first and then gradually expanded it to the point at which he could have the kitchen to himself.

I felt good being at work knowing that my little puppy had room to move about but was safe from all the things Nancy mentioned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts