Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there. as with anything, there are so many schools of thought out there on what food is the best for your dog. we were using a high priced food but our puppy had the loosest stools while on it. i spoke with a few vets, who all said "don't feed her that food! it is not properly balanced and is too rich for most puppies". SO at my vet's advice, we switched to Iams large breed puppy after having to have the pup on eukanuba low residue to calm her insides. she seems to be doing well on the Iams, but sometimes I read awful things about Iams or other similar pet foods you can buy at PetSmart or Wal-Mart. I don't want to have to special order my dog food, nor go through a specific animal hospital to get it (there is only one nearby that sells it).

just out of curiosity, what brand of food do you feed your doodle?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bandit does well with Canidae...

Although we tried Blue Buffalo this time, and he REALLY likes it. Then again something about Salmon the he digs.

Blue Buffalo is bought retail @ PetSmart unfortunately...

Omaha Vaccine>>Petco>>Petsmart

I will post some links after a search...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here is the grading scheme:

Dog Food - Scoring Guide and Scores
Prepared by HausMommy

Here is a list of ingredients and definitions you'll find in your dog's food: http://www.redbandannapetfood.com/ingredient.htm

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
<70 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't see your dog's food here, ask and someone will score it for you.
Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A
Thanks Kelly (KMO20057) for the original post!

http://bluebuff.com/products/dogs.shtml

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
canidae is what we had our dog on before. our breeder sells it so she was very insistent that we continue using it. my hubby did not want to keep the apron string tied so much, with the breeder delivering it to our home every month or so, and since the dog was having stomach problems on it the vets I talked to said to take her off of it.

i feed her the lamb roll by Dick Van Patten (I forget the brand name) for training and sometimes just throw some into her food for a treat. she loves it but at the rate she is growing I could not afford to feed her ONLY that stuff!

i also don't want to feed her human food (we had to do rice when she was really having problems) because she is a dog, not a human, and we feel that she should eat dog food, plus I have little kids so the raw diet is out. my vet seriously warned against using that diet.

If she isn't having problems on Iams, (no itching etc, and she seems to like it) should I look around to find a more "natural" type of dog food? i am feeling guilty because of some things the breeder said early on when we didn't know what the heck we were doing

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's why we use Blue Buffalo now.

Bandit has allergies to corn/wheat.
The rice he seems to do fine with.
His palette doesnt seem to care for the chicken.
He seems to enjoy the fish & sweet potatoe.
His coat is healthy.
Less fillers means less poop, and less frequent feedings/qty per feeding.
Higher quality food means just that. It goes further as they have better nutritional value and they process it better meaning less poop to clean, and my 12 year old appreciates that! >;-)~

Iams seems to have quite a bit of filler. Check into it and go from there.

IIRC Blue Buffalo was ~$43/bag for 35# so, <$1.50/# is worth it. YMMV.
I just dont care for Petsmart and thats the place ya gotta go to get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We feed Sage the Kirkland brand (from Costco) Chicken and Rice Puppy formula. It rated very highly on that dog food rating scale. Our breeder feeds it to all her pups. She does very well on it, she loves it, and it is very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We have been using the Iams Puppy Food for Large Dogs as well and have been pretty happy with the results. However now I see that it only gets a D :(. I think I will check into something different. I don't care for the large chain pet stores either. Fortunately we have a great place here near Indy called Specks. Great Place!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sammy has (we think) allergies and so we switched her to Natural Balance Duck and Potato to see how she does. The purpose of this food and the other Natural Balance alergy foods is to limit their intake to only two foods, a meat and a starch/veggie that they have probably not yet been exposed to in order to minimize their allergic reaction. Then once you know they are okay on that food with only those two ingredients, you can start adding in other things if you want to or feel the need.... but this food is totally balanced on its own and I know of several people who feed it even though their dogs DONT have allergies because it has such premium ingredients and results in such a beautiful coat... not to mention the fact that the dogs LOVE it! I have never seen Sammy eat so fast!!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi cmives! I saw that your pup is on Eukanuba low residue for tummy problems. Our Summer has a very sensitive stomach, and after trying MANY different brands, the only food she didn't have diarrhea on was low residue. It has chicken in it, so I assumed that Summer could tolerate chicken. So I started to look for a chicken based food with similar ingredients. I found Eagle Pack Holisitic Select Chicken and Rice. We started her on the eagle pack and it worked like a miracle. After having chronic diarrhea for months, she finally had normal poops. I recommend it to anyone who has poop problems. Hope this helps!
www.eaglepack.com

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've tried several super premium foods for my boys in an attempt to avoid HORRENDOUS gas and this is what I've found so far. California Natural and Wellness must taste like cardboard because my boys will not eat it. Period. Chicken Soup and Merrick were so-so - they would leave it sit for a while before eating it. Timberwolf Organics gave them the runs. They LOVED Pet Promise but the gas was absolutely the worst. I'm not a fan of most foods sold at Petsmart, but, Nutro NC Ultra and Authority Harvest Baked got two paws up from my boys with Harvest Baked edging out Nutro NC Ultra in the end. I order it online when they have free shipping. I know that as parents it is our job to make sure that they eat what is best for them, but, I'm okay with a premium food that they like versus a super premium food that they tolerate.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Boy, I've seen lots of discussions on what to feed Doodles, but I've NEVER seen one stay this civil, for this long! you guys are AMAZING! :shock:

Jac, Di...other breeders do you want to verify this? :D

I have seen the volume difference between foods with fillers and foods without, in my own back yard and there is NOTHING that could take me away from the "premium" foods... yet, KIRKLAND is an amazing food in its quality, considering its price! It is made by an old commercial feed company, which is probably why they could make such a good one and sell it so cheaply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to take my boys to the Walmart of veterinarians (long hours, large client base, supposedly reasonable prices) and actually had a vet tell me that I should feed my boys Science Diet or Iams because they are better foods than Merrick or Chicken Soup. I'm not a vet, but, I've done a little reading on this topic and one look at the ingredients list tells me that neither Science Diet or Iams is better than Merrick or Chicken Soup. I have a friend at Purina who is a brand manager for Pet Promise. She admits that Pet Promise isn't the top of the line in super premium foods, but, it has a pretty good ingredients list and supposedly it has some of the best palatability on the market, which does matter. If my boys could tolerate corn and soy I'd probably still be feeding them Pet Promise.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think we've all talked about mixing the new food with the old food to transition when changing brands...I just wanted to mention it again and because one of the funniest Chester things was when we did this and he would pick out the new food and eat it then spit out the old brand.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes I have heard of dogs doing that. When we switched Sammy from the breeders food to Nutro we mixed it and also added some "prophelactic" pumpkin (1-2 tbs of pure canned pumpkin can solve loose stool problems) and she was switched over in a matter of 4 days without a hitch.

When we switched her from Nutro to the Natural Balance we did it all at once because it was an allergy concern and we didnt want to feed her something she might be allergic to any longer than we had to.... but she still did just fine- maybe she has an iron stomach!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to chime in here, not to sound snobbish or anything but Ive heard a lot of not-so-good stuff about IAMS actually from www.peta.org Apparently, there is abuse at the companies. There was a video on the site of someone working for PETA[people for the ethical treatment of animals] who went into an IAMS factory..or some place where they were doing experiments..and all I see to remember is lots of beagles or bloodhounds or some breed similar looking to those lying down in rows, fat and dying and people in white lab coats injecting things into them and there being HUGE dishes of food and i dont really know you'd have to go to the site to see for yourself, but what I do know is IAMS was said to abuse animals and experiment on them.

I don't know..just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Boone was eating Science Diet when we first got him. Then I went onto a different forum and learned about ingredients and all that stuff and now he's on Canidea. He loves it, he poops alot less, and he eats alot less of it because he gets the nutrition he needs from alot less food. So really if you compare prices it works out the same.
Worse foods, you have to feed alot.
Premiuim, you have to feed less therefore the bag lasts alot longer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
don't believe everything you read

i have also read things stating how horrible Iams is. the thing is you can't believe everything you read especially from extreme groups such as peta. my vet has been feeding his dogs iams and science diet for 20 years now and they are the best dogs ever. they are in his animal hospital every day and do school visits, etc. They are really healthy great dogs.

I also know the family who used to privately own Iams before P&G bought the company and I highly doubt that they'd let horrible abuses go on there. you can do a google search about any of the major dog food chains and you will find websites claiming how abusive they are. i just find it very hard to believe that a large company would even try to get away with things. they can be too easily busted.

on a side note, i have talked to 3 different vets who have all said that some of the smaller "natural" dog food companies do not have the proper balance of nutrients in their dog food but rely on people wanting to give their dogs "human grade" meats, etc. in their food. that too, can be very damaging to a dog. in the example of Canidae (which all of the vets i talked to told me to get my dog off of), they use human grade meats, but it is not properly balanced for a dog. it is too rich for many dogs and therefore causes stomach problems.

i can say that after switching our dog off of canidae and onto iams, her stools are firmer and less volume than when she was on canidae. she also eats the food; the canidae would sit uneaten for quite a while. i think she didn't like it and didn't like how it made her feel.

so I would definitely take what you read with a grain of salt and figure out what works best for your dog. i can't believe my dog growing up ate GAINES BURGERS (remember those?) and lived to be 17 years old. by the way, that dog was a "mutt" but now that I see pictures of him, he looks like he very well could have been some sort of labradoodle! it is uncanny the resemblance between him and our current dog...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Even though I feed my boys a premium food, on some level I do agree. I had two childhood dogs who lived to be 16 and 17. We fed them Alpo dry and canned and Purina Dog Chow, with an occasional Gainesburger. I lost a Belgian Shepherd to hemangiosarcoma (less than a week after getting a kennel cough vaccination) in Oct 2005 at the age of 10 who ate Natural Balance for over half of his life. This can be likened to people as well. I had one grandfather who received good nutrition and health care and who didn't smoke or drink and he died 3 days before his 60th birthday of colon cancer. My other grandfather grew up really, really poor with inadequate nutrition and no medical care to speak of, was an alcoholic and a 2-3 pack-a-day smoker who died at the age of 78. Not to toss nutritional guidelines to the wind, but, sometimes there are other factors at play besides nutrition and medical care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HI

the BARF diet is an acronym for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food and also stands for Bones And Raw Food.

for full details please look at www.barfworld.com.

In short though it is feeding dogs & cats naturally with raw food as they would do in the wild.

I have been feeding my 2 since they were 4 months ( now 11months) and what a difference !! less agressive when playing (were hyper and agressive on dry food, and very nasty smelly poos) very healthy coats etc.

I started out blending all veg myself until I discovered Anglian foods who produce food based on BARF - very cheap and they deliver!!

there is a website on it with helpful tips and advice - well worth it and isnt as much hassle as you may think.

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

good luck xx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts