Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have mentioned the Kong toys and I'm wondering if your doodle just likes them plain or if you stuff them with treats.

Ours came with little cookies and the big one came with a Ziggie which is a bar that wedges in the big whole. Charlie likes them somewhat but there is no way he can get those fat cookies out the little whole. I feel it is just frustrating for him.

This morning I was thinking about putting a baby carrot or apple slices in one. Those could actually come out the hole at the right angle.

What's your experience?

Deb

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I agree about the Ziggy...Tanner loves them but I don't put them in the Kong, way to frustrating.

I have mixed plain yogurt and tuna and then frozen them. He liked them for a while. Tanner likes string cheese broken into small pieces and also the Dick Van Patten rolls broken into small pieces. A little peanut butter just inside the rim.

I am sure others are more creative than I have been but apples and carrots are good too!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Deb,

We are on our third Kong (they got bigger as Ebbe did) and have used it exclusively for lengthly crate time.

I break up about three treats ... some pieces larger than others .... fill to the top, then fill the very top with peanut butter mounding it up! It then goes into the freezer over night and is given to her the next morning.

If she can't get a treat out she'll toss the Kong until it emerges! This has worked out very well for all of us and is more economical than the brand fillers they provide.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Kirby and Dex both love Kongs. We just wedge a treat into the Kong (we use these Duck/Potato treats that are the same brand as their food - they are large enough so that there is some work involved to get them out). Sometimes we put some peanut butter in there too.

Dex is very fast and will push down the Kong w/a paw and pull out the treat with his mouth :lol: Kirby will take his time and enjoy chewing and working to get the treat out. We give both of them their Kongs when we leave for work - maybe I'll squeeze some carrots in there next week to surprise them :wink:

They also enjoy playing with the empty Kongs (mostly Dex will steal Kirby's and try to entice him to chase him to get it back).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas! I see that I am going to have to be creative. Funny how it never occurred to me before to try different treats. :roll:

Leslie, it's funny how your dogs have different styles. I don't think Charlie is the slow and methodical type. :lol:

I also like the way you guys are freezing the treats overnight. The tuna mix sounds pretty tasty.

Deb

G

·
Maya loves her Ziggie and I put that in there. When I come home if there is still a little Ziggie left I take a screwdriver and pop it out.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I put freeze dried liver pieces in the kong (before we switched to RAW i put kibble) and seal it with peanut butter. Its one of Hersheys favs.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I haven't' tried this yet but thought it was a good idea. The lady at the pet store said to take canned dog food (she suggested I use the same brand as the dry I feed but only use the canned for the kong). Stuff the kong and freeze for a day or two and he has a healthy treat!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a Kong shaped like a bone where you can stuff goodies on each end. I stuff it with peanut butter and freeze overnight. It is clean as a whistle once Abby gets a hold of it :p

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
A recipe I think I got off the Kong website mixes yogurt, smashed banana and 1 T. wheat germ, sealing the small hole with peanut butter and then freeze. Cali likes this, but often waits until we get home to eat it and wants to drag it out, melting on to the carpet! :shock:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Does anyone remember that Linda won that Kong contest with her recipe. It had a can of tuna, 2 tbs plain yogurt, and 1/4 cup shredded carrots mixed and frozen in the Kong. My Sofie loves that as a special treat!! :p

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the recipes! I'm impressed that there was a contest winner from the doodle parents. :)

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
what do we put in our doodles Kongs?

nuttin honey :wink:
they like to bounce them around , then chew them :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Because I didn't see the content we use most often, I'm reviving this post and answering.

We slice off a hunk of cheese from an 8 oz block and cram it in our Classic Kong. The piece will stick out of the end of our Kong, but not by much. This is by far Cody's FAVORITE Kong treat. We've done liver snaps too, but he LOVES his cheese! 2% Sharp Cheddar or 2% Mild Cheddar - he's not too picky.

I like all the frozen ideas, but that requires us to remember the night before to make it up and then remember to take it out of the freezer when we're leaving for the day. We're lucky to get out the door with everyone and their stuff most days. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts