Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! I'm in a debate about what to line my whelping box with and before I bought anything, thought I'd get y'alls opinion! :)

I have a great wooden whelping box my hubby built and it's lined with linoleum (sp?). I had an old piece of carpet in it (only fits in half the box), as well as blankets and towels. I changed them every other day or so, depending on how yucky they were. Momma cleaned up after the kids a lot, if you know what I mean. (ew!) The puppies will be 3 weeks old tomorrow (doing great by the way!), but now they are going pee-pee much more and I can't seem to keep up with them in keeping it clean! The towels get pushed out of the way and so I tried newspaper, but that got soaked right away, unless I just didn't use enough. I bought some wee-wee pads, but didn't know if it was bad to use them in their "home." I was thinking about shavings, but didn't know if that was a healt risk. Any ideas my friends?!! :D :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
What size is your whelping box? I ordered the large Dura Whelp box, which is 4'x4', and got their standard rug liners, which are rubber backed and have velcro tabs under the corners to fasten them into place. They're working pretty well, and seem to come clean in every wash. (I soak Everything of this nature in the machine by leaving the lid open for a while, then wash it a second time to get it nice and fresh.)

I started with the pads, too, but since they are white they were a bit tougher to keep really White, and have stuck with the rug. Also the neonatal pups had better traction on the rugs. I got three of them and cycle them through the wash. Now that they are three weeks old, I've set up an ex-pen outside by the whelping box and leave the door open. They've gotten really adept at clambering in and out of the whelping box, and into Deva's crate, which is at the other end of the enclosure (Crate training....!). So far they piddle Everywhere, so I need to set up a container of pine bark as a litter box for them. They are at the age where they will begin to select a spot away from home as a potty. This gives them a head start on house training. I've also suspended a toy from a corner of the whelping box, in the hopes it will help them learn to look Up. They found it last night!!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I use shredded paper until the pups are about 3-4 wks old. Then I introduce them to the litterbox which is the tray from a wire crate lined with wee pads and then pine bark nuggets on top of that. Most times, they automatically start using it. If they don't, I just will pick them up and put them in there everytime I see one getting ready to potty. After just a day, they are all using the litterbox. It keeps the puppies clean and their toys clean.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This sounds silly, but do you buy shredded paper or shred it yourself? I just realized that it would take a while to have a fair amoun of shredded paper!

And when you do the litterbox, is that still in their whelping pen or a larger area?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have an industrial size shredder that I use to shred my papers, no way could I keep up if I didn't. When I first introduce the litterbox, I put it right in the whelping box, you want a small space. When the pups start getting bigger and need a bigger space to play, I will attach the x-pen to the whelping box so they have a bigger area to play in but leave the litterbox in the same spot. Then when they are weaned and on their own, I put two x-pens together and put the litterbox in there and they have lots of room to play and to use the potty. Sometimes you will have a rowdy pup that likes to dig for the wee pads and then you have a mess, he will get ahold of the wee pad and pull it out of the tray, bark and all. I don't know what to do about those pups but you will inevitably have a rowdy one in the bunch but they are usually about ready to go home by the time this happens :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've heard of several people using the pine bark nuggets, but what is their purpose if you already have the wee wee pads?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Julie, the pine bark nuggets has the scent of outdoors which is where you want your puppy to potty. Which makes it easier for housetraining when they go to their new homes. They will want to potty where it smells like tree bark and dirt :) not pine sol and pledge :wink: It really does make a difference. I also will make up a smaller litterbox for my buyers that are traveling to pick up their puppies, that way they have a place for the puppy to potty on the trip home without having to worry about him pottying and picking up parvo somewhere.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Diane,

I have to laugh at the pine bark idea. It sounded so good I had to try it. Well... every time I see one in action, I've just sat down with a pup in my lap, and I'd never get up and through the gate in time to make a difference by getting them while they're still going.

In true doodle fashion, it only took Deva about 30 seconds after I put the bark in there to have a piece selected for a chew toy. Her kids are a quick study. Within another minute, they had dragged the box all the way across their pen, and pulled the wee pad out of the bottom, dragging the pine bark right onto the floor with it. The wee pad is toast, in shreds all over the ex pen, pine bark chips are the toys of choice. Needless to say, no progress on the potty idea, but boy is that thing ever fun! Any other ideas? I really like the concept! I even stood in there as they poured out of the whelping box after nursing the other night, thinking a catch was inevitable. Next thing I knew I was surrounded by little lakes, and I hadn't caught a single one of them in the act. And I was Standing there. Only odd thing I noticed was one of the boys lifting his leg already at the age of four weeks! I was so astounded that I didn't accept that he could be doing that, so missed the opportunity. I was probably still shaking my head in disbelief when the rest of them struck! Oh, but they're so cute! (I did learn not to walk in there with shoe laces!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts