Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to switch my cats and dogs to Canidae pet food. I heard good things about them and they don't use by product. Is it safe to feed them this food? I currently feed Nutra all my animals and am very concerned with all this going on. I have seen some posts here that some of you feed this food. Please any advice on what's best to feed my little Doodle and the rest of my animals.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi....we've been using Canidae with is the only the food Max has been able to tolerate and digest ever!!! this was our 7th food to try.
Additionally, do a search and once you find the Canidae site...you'll see they are NOT involved in any way with the recall as their dog food is ALL US made.

many here do us Canidae....it's good on digestive issues, healthiness, and also for coat and/or skin problems too.

I do know both Max and Peanut gained back the weight they lost and put more on too. They love this food but i do still mix in 1/3 of bland diet with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to find food that is not involved in this recall and most likely won't be. I am terrified to buy anything else and when my kitten through up last night and refused to eat I started to do research on other foods available. Also our new Doodle puppy is not fund of Nutro he keeps stealing the other dog's food. I am going to find a store that has Canidae and return Nutro to PetsMart. They said they will take everything back. We already have a big bag of stuff we need to return as they were part of recall. Do you guys recommend any other food besides Canidae?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also had been feeding my dogs Nutro and had gotten to the last of the bag last week. I was worried about the recall and decided to switch to Canidea. I had to pick it up about 90 miles away so I may order online in the future. The dogs have been on it for about a week and love it. No problems in switching over.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
lovemytb

I have been using Canidae for quite a while now and it is great.
You can feed your cats Felidae which is the equivalent of Canidae
same company. Sometimes cats take longer to adjust to new food than dogs so go slow. With Denver it is put food in a bowl and it is gone.
Unless it is rice and he will pick out everything and leave the rice behind, go figure :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Love it,love it,love it!!!!! Molly has been on it over a year now, and her coat is sooo shiney! No more ear infections or itchy paws either...Raleigh has been on it for 4 months, and his coat is beautiful too.....I highly reccomend it for your Doodle and other animals!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for your responses. I am now the new customer of Canidae feed. I also bought this food for my puppy www.naturapet.com. The lady that owns the store (she only sells natural and holistic dog and cat food) said it's the best holistic/natural feed for a puppy. I bought Canidae for the 8 year old Hope and cans for puppy and Hope but I put puppy on the food above only because I liked the ingredients in it and it should be better for a little one. The lady at the store said this is a step up to Canidae and it's probably better to feed him that until he gets a little bigger. However he is now stealing Hope food which is Canidae. :roll:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi, our breeder feeds the canidae to all her dogs and puppies. Lani and Toby both came to us eating it, we tried switching to another quality food but ended up back on it. They love it and no more troubles with allergies and gas :shock: . Good luck. Any photos? We aould love to see some. :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I just found out that Natura makes their wet food at Menu factory. Although they say it is not affected by this recall and they don't use wheat and corn I am taking all the canned food I bought for my kittens back to the store to exchange it for Felidae canned food. They do say that their dry food made here in the US and they don't use wheat and corn in the dry food. I am thinking to keep the puppy on the dry food for right now and see how he does but I will NOT feed my animals anything that is made by Menu and has wheat and corn in it. So here I go again exchanging food. When I went to the store I was determined to have everyone on Canidae and Felidae ONLY yet I get talked into another holistic feed. I need to stick to my guns or I am going to go crazy with this recall ordeal. :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lovemytb said:
Ok I just found out that Natura makes their wet food at Menu factory. Although they say it is not affected by this recall and they don't use wheat and corn I am taking all the canned food I bought for my kittens back to the store to exchange it for Felidae canned food. They do say that their dry food made here in the US and they don't use wheat and corn in the dry food. I am thinking to keep the puppy on the dry food for right now and see how he does but I will NOT feed my animals anything that is made by Menu and has wheat and corn in it. So here I go again exchanging food. When I went to the store I was determined to have everyone on Canidae and Felidae ONLY yet I get talked into another holistic feed. I need to stick to my guns or I am going to go crazy with this recall ordeal. :roll:
don't be so hard on yourself...i had a tough time in past and tried numerous healthyfooods got the stores from the natura site too.

Canidae is working out so well i wish i had known about it when max was younger but so be it as they are Max and peanut are on it now doing very well on it, they LOVE this food!!! and istill mix in a 1/3 of oatmeal, chicken and vary yogurt or pumpkin etc

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All I have to say is I hope the GOD US companies learned something from this. Why do we buy all these products from other countries when we have our own? We are giving away our money to countries that don't care about our pets or US alone. We could be putting that money into our own products here in the US and boost the economy.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have a question on the canidae. I noticed that we have more poop. Should I cut down on the amount they're eating? They are getting between 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups, twice a day. Jonah's 71# at 1yo, Miko 42# at 7 1/2 mo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the extra poops. Canidae has a lot of fiber in it and I really feel that more poop is not necessary bad as fiber and moving things through the digestive system is a good thing. A lot of the foods that don't produce many poops are not because the food has such great ingredients that the dog is utilizing it - the lack of poop is often from not enough fiber.

Heather

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sessa...reason being is they just changed the whole look of their website
I just found it again

http://www.naturapet.com/ BUT here is the california natural food section on that site

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/california-natural.asp

HOwever i am really suprised they don't have some info on the pet food recall and if they are involved or not!!!!
You'll have to click the contact us button and email them.

i know i was going to try what you feed IF candiae didnt' work but it does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since I have had my kittens on Felidae for two days I have noticed their poop doesn't small at all. It used to small terrible and now I can't smell it. Is that normal? I guess it's a good thing.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Felidae is great and yes it is normal for the less odour :wink: :wink:
trust me with nine cats in the house I love Felidae

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sue ..i also noticed lessened odor from poop with Canidae with max and peanut. now THAT i can handle :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts