Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have pretty much decided to neuter Bogie over Easter break.
We had him at the vet yesterday and were discussing this. The vet said he'll need about 10 days of CALM.
He said after the first 2 days we'll hardly know it's been done, but he has to be pretty much confined for 10 days.........
What were your experiences? Bogie is use to doing something everyday like walks or his puppy play at Day Care. I can't imagine what we'll do with him to keep him safe, confined and yet happy!
In fact, I know we'll have to take him out in the yard on a leash. He hardly does his business when leashed! :roll: Even on walks, he pretty much waits until we're home to go off leash in his own yard.
Can you imagine the doodle 500 at a time like that?? :shock:
ANy suggestions for activities..............or lack there of would be appreciated and put my mind at ease. I'm more frightened of post surgery then the actual surgery itself! :?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
The vet said he'll need about 10 days of CALM.
He said after the first 2 days we'll hardly know it's been done, but he has to be pretty much confined for 10 days.........
this TOTALLY did not work for either of our dogs. We managed to keep Dex somewhat quiet for 4 days...Kirby was worse...we lasted 3 and him and Dex were back to wrestling. I'm not telling you to not listen to your vet, but just that I think personally 10 days sounds like an overly conservative estimate :)

We were careful around stairs...we only let them up and down on a leash. We used an x-pen to gate off the stairs so they wouldn't sneak off and go up them.

We'll be back to all of this recovery with Dex shortly so I'll let you know our tricks :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner's had his surgery done with a laser so there was less tissue damage and that helped.

We took him out to do his business on a 16ft pull out leash. We took him on walks...on the same leash. We tried to keep him calm and didn't let him run or jump the first few days. He didn't lick or bother his surgery site. We gave him some bully sticks and other things to chew on to try to keep him calm. We were still using an X pen during the day when we went to work and sometimes when he would get to rowdy in the evening we had to put him in the X pen....he would always pout and get very quiet when in it at night.

I can't say we kept him quiet for 10 days but probably more like 5 or 6 days.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad to hear you think that sounds like way too long, Leslie. It sounds long to me too!
I can't see him going any longer than 3 days either..... :roll: if that!

Yes! For sure keep me posted on any new tricks! How are things with Dexter??

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow annie! I wonder if I can find someone who does laser? Hmmmmm....
The 16ft lead sounds like a good idea and yes.........I thought lots and lots of bully sticks and bones!
Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky kept himself so quiet for 4 or 5 days after he was neutered that I thought something was wrong! Then he was back to his old self and all was well. Of course I didn't have him running around playing with other dogs for a couple of weeks and we didn't go to the dog park.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bailey was just done a few weeks ago and did great. We were also told to keep Bailey calm but not necessarily restrained. The first night he was still a bit groggy from the surgery and also on painkillers so that was a breeze. By day 2 he was pretty restless. I did take him on walks and was told I could as long as he was on a short leash and away from dog parks until day 10. I took him on several walks up and down the street during the day. I did try to keep him from jumping too much but that was tough. I also crated him for longer then usual periods during the first few days We were also told not to give him a bath for 10 days as the dissolvable stitches would dissolve too fast if they got wet. It went by fast. I think just use common sense and don't let him go crazy with doodle 500s or anything and he will do fine!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
"Teutering"

Cooper had the laser surgery as well and it was really easy. He was groggy the first night, but otherwise back to his old self. We did take him for short walks, but tried to keep him from running and jumping. He did not lick his incision at all, so no issue there. We did use the blow-up donut at night in his kennel when we could not watch him, much easier than the "cone".

Good luck. It will be a breeze!

·
Registered
659 Posts
We kept Ozzie "quiet" for about 5 days. Quiet meant no outside walks and backyard walks on the leash to do his duty. By one week he was going vertical again and he was able to jump even higher without the extra ballast. I don't think he even realized he had surgery, just kept looking suspiciously between his legs. "I knew I had something there but I can't seem to recall what! Oh, well probably didn't need it anyway!"

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We kept Gustopher on a short leash with us for 2 days, and then we let him go and he was fine, wrestling and zooming about. We occasionally checked his area to make sure everything was still zipped up tight.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda i don't know why VETS say that....
Max was moving slowly for 3 days and then he sprung into action
peanut last 2 days till she went racing around and was fine

Beau is still intact :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver did not even know that he had something done
We tried to our best to keep him quiet. Short walks and no jumping.

Chas P505

I love your Avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're making me less nervous.....THANK YOU!!!
I was almost at the point of not wanting to do it!!
I'm thinking I might schedule this for around March 20th. Hubby won't be teaching with Easter Break, and he'll be around to help!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts