Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we're at work? I have wondered this...our new computer has a webcam. Today we set it to tape them the entire day. It was by far the most boring video I have ever seen. We never saw Dex on the tape. We realize he lays down in this one small (2x2 foot) area the entire day. He never once went over near where Kirby's crate is. Now how about Kirby? He lays down in his crate all day...not a peep out of him. He stood up a few times and moved around in the crate, but then just layed back down.

Of course we didn't watch the whole thing, but you can pan through it quickly. I feel better they aren't barking or crying all day :) They literally do nothing but sleep.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow, and then they sleep all night? I'm here all day with Sadie and she's following us around most of the day. She does sleep off and on though.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Aha! I was pretty sure that was the case. Charlie NEVER goes in his crate voluntarily when I am home except at night. But many times, I've come to the back door and seen him come out of his crate. I suspect if there is no one to follow around, they just sleep. :D

Now, Leslie, if you left Kirby out for the day, it might be a very different video.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now, Leslie, if you left Kirby out for the day, it might be a very different video.
haha...so that is our next plan. we want to not have to crate Kirby all day, but we are afraid they would get on each other's nerves. We plan to go out for an hour on Sunday and leave them alone together in the basement and tape it :) Then eventually we want to try it for 1/2 a work day.

Watching the video seriously makes me wonder though - Kirby in no way appeared upset about being crated. However in the morning he clearly does not want to go into the crate. It's possible that being separated from us is what upsets him and not the crate...who knows how dogs think :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Once you leave, Kirby is probably resigned to his fate. At least he's smart enough not to complain all day. It will be interesting to hear if they rest while you are gone or play together, instigate, insight trouble when they are both loose.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be interesting to hear if they rest while you are gone or play together, instigate, insight trouble when they are both loose.
I know :) we will certainly take baby steps. We leave them loose in the house together for up to 3 hrs and they are fine. However 8-9 hrs is another story. We would start w/just the basement, but I seriously want to make sure they are ok for that long together. They hardly ever fight/play too rough, but I am a worry wart :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have live webcam software that allows me to view my webcam remotely from any PC. I once set it to watch my Lab... yeah, it was boring. He liked to sleep in the warm sunlight coming in through my home office window and he would move a few inches at a time to stay in the sunlight. Not exactly Oscar winning material.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Maybe you could set up an x-pen so that Kirby has some space outside of his crate, but can't bug Dex? :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We tried the next step...tonight we went out to dinner and left Dex and Kirby together in the basement (no crating) and we taped them. Kirby was definitely upset...he barked much of the time we were gone. Funny part is that Dex was just laying on the rug chewing his Kong. They did not interact with each other. I think Kirby feels safer in the crate. Makes me sad to have to crate him, but it seems to be the better way to go.

Oh yeah - we had to run an errand yesterday and we taped them alone in the house (free run of the house). HAHA...so both of them spent almost the entire time up on our living room sofa that we try to keep them off of. The video was hilarious...both of them were laying on the one arm...then Kirby would stand over Dex...they were quite happy :) Kirby jumped off the sofa when he saw us coming home :) I still don't see it being a good option for a full work day (yet) though...

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Leslie - try putting kirby in his crate but not closing the door and see what he does.

We did that with Heidi & Molly (our choc labs) first time we let them have free roam and taped them, took the about 45 minutes then Molly edged out of her crate and slowly made her way down the hall, Heidi followed a few minutes later, it was so funny to watch, they were looking around like they weren't suppose to be there.

Anyhow, we started doing that and Mollyann would stay out of her kennel most of the time, Heidipooh would come and go - maybe Kirby would feel better if he was in kennel when you left and could come out of the kennel at his own pace, then he might realize he could go back in there and lay down. It is their safe haven, Heidi napped in her kennel until she was about 5 yrs old, I think she went there to get away from Mollyann :wink:

When we left we just said kennel, they went and laid down got their snacks then were free to stay in kennel or roam around, it worked well for us

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They literally do nothing but sleep.
And then when we come home exhausted from a long day at work they want to doodle 500, play catch, steal and chew valuables and make perfect pests of themselves! :shock:

I can't wait until it is light and dry enough to take Ebbe to the dog park after work!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver and all nine cats, clean the house from top
to bottom, including all the laundry and then go ahead and set the table
and serve Hubby and I dinner when we get home...........................

BAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I WISH I WISH I WISH

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
blueteal said:
Denver and all nine cats, clean the house from top
to bottom, including all the laundry and then go ahead and set the table
and serve Hubby and I dinner when we get home...........................

BAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I WISH I WISH I WISH
Make sure you get Denver his Butler uniform and the kitties their maid uniforms :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
BUT SUE does yours also make the bed and mop the floors like mine do? :shock: 8)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Doodling the day away

Even from the doodle pics posted, looks like our doods are in the horizontal position a lot!! Bocker played at the park today and came home and got into his bed and snored away.

When he has a job...he usually likes to get home and if it's still light out..he likes to go sit under a tree in the yard and just take in the "calm". Guess he could say to me..hey, I WORKED ALL DAY...
No matter what, they are so easy to love.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Echo likes to take a flying leap on it from 5-6 feet away and he must have taken a good one. The bottom back support was snapped in half and pushed back past the middle seat support! He had to push it back about 10 inches! I guess 97#s flying 5 feet generates a lot of force!
oh no!! (I am giggling though). Dex mostly only uses the den sofa as his springboard...

I still can't believe Kirby goes on the living room sofa when we leave and then gets back off when he knows we're home...he's a little :twisted: in disguise...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts