Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am new to having 2 doodles (am new to having 2 dogs at one time period), and want to make sure I am doing this right... when do I interfere? Lucas is 9 months and the new one Della is almost 4 months. Lucas is SUPER LAID BACK, and Della is a little SASSY, but not mean or agressive, or pushy... They play extremely well together, doesn't seem to get too rough one way or another... but when there is a kong or bone involved (there's always 2, one for each of them) Della feels the need to have them both! Yesterday, she stole Lucas' knuckle bone, laid on top of hers and ate his! He just whines and barks at her...

But I can't tell if this is all for fun? Because if I give him his bone back, Lucas will run with it in his mouth in front of Della, almost asking her to steal it...

It's really kinda cute and comical, is this ok? Should I just let them fend for themselves, and do whatever they are doing? Will this become a problem as the get older? Or is this just cute puppy play stuff?

Sorry if this question seems rediculous? I just want to have 2 happy well adjust doggies...

G

·
Maya does this too to my BFs dog Tucker. She will take things from him just because she can I think. My feeling is that if he lets her and isn't going to try to get it back it's his loss. If it ever got out of hand I would stop it but tucker is more laid back and Maya the more dominant dog. Am I doing something wrong by not correcting My?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm cracking up here because you have described our 2 doodles perfectly. Kirby tries to take both of the treats or toys and keeps them near him. Dex sits and cries and cries but won't go take his back. It depends on what the item is. If we give them both a knuckle bone to chew on and Kirby steals Dexter's, we will often tell him "no" and give Dex the bone back. If it's a toy I let them work it out. The only reason we take the bone from Kirby is that some of his behavior like this is just rude and we want to try to teach him it's not nice to do that...then again they are dogs right? haha...

Dex does the same thing - if he gets his "item" back he runs away and hides with it...or uses it to try to get Kirby to chase him :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dogs are exactly the same way. Except our 50 pound Doodle is the wimp, and our 15 pound Westie is the bully. She will steal whatever Oliver has and sneak under the ottoman where he can't fit. Oliver will give his annoying high pitched bark until I get annoyed get his toy back for him.

But more on topic, they do get really physical, but they have yet to hurt each other at all. I have only felt the need to break them up once or twice. Otherwise, I just let them work it out.

Adam

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess, I just won't worry about it! I find that I do have to remind myself they they ARE dogs... Glad to hear you guys have the same thing going on...

Thanks for the compliments... Libbyt & Jofi, you guys are gonna love having Tenzin around, it is alot of fun!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts