Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bogie went to Day care last Saturday and today.

When my husband took him there this morning, he went to get Bogie out of his crate in the back of the Tahoe and he had this white drool hanging. Never had THAT before!
He took him in and he was just fine and played.

We picked him up at 6PM this evening. When he got home, he was tired and fell asleep in hubby's lap......for about an hour.
I was on the phone and hubby came running in the kitchen with Bogie in his arms and was holding him over the sink. He said he was making that sound before they throw up. He didn't. Then he put him down and he sat there hanging his head and had the dry heaves and a small amount of white foam.

I called the Center and the manager said sounds like kennel cough!!!
We fed him, he's playing and doing well right now.

-What do you think could be going on?
-What is the incubation period for kennel cough? (the manager said his bulldog, who he has at the center everyday, had kennel cough a month ago.)
-Could he have a mild dose of it? How serious is kennel cough of he has it? What do they do for it?
-Should we see the vet?....like tonight if he does this foamy thing again?

..........argh..........Is my baby sick?

G

·
Not sure about the symptoms but I would call the vet or the 24 hr vet. Kennel cough is common and there is a vaccine that Bogie should have had prior to being able to go to daycare. If they get kennel cough usu a short course of antibiotics help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It doesn't sound like Kennel cough to me. I'd be worried and call the vet. I'm sorry I don't have better advice.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Heather and Vicky...........I am worried..........but the good news is it hasn't happened again. Just the 2 times we're aware of.
I'm wondering if they forgot to feed him??? ...and his stomach was empty and sickly feeling? But that doesn't answer why he did it after eating this morning.. :roll:
I hate to call the 24 hour vet because they just rush you in. I mean if I have to I will............but when my Springer was dying of cancer and he had some mild tremors one night, I called and they were like bring him in immediately! I told them that if I did it would be to put him down as he was terminal. He made it for 2 more days and didn't have any more tremors.
I just don't know what to think.........I'm just going to watch him closely and call the vet in the morning and at least tell him of the experience.......see what he says.
I hope this is OVER!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Has Bogie been eating and drinking since his last episode? Not lethargic? If so, I would wait and see. He may just have a little tummy upset. I think Kennel cough presents with respratory(sp) symptoms, coughing etc., not dry heaves and foamy mouth. I hope he is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Drooling is a sign of car sickness. Do you think that could be it? The timing sounds right. I hope its nothing serious.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I sure hope Bogie feels better. I have never seen these symptoms, but if it hasn't happened again I would feel a bit more comfortable waiting till the morning. Why do these things always happen at night or on the weekend???

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i'd call the vet in the morning Linda to be on safe side and please give us an update
kennel cough vs respiratory virus like a cold coming on?

and here are 2 links with info
http://www.animed.org/dogs_kennel_cough.htm

http://www.chathamanimalrescue.org/kennelcough.shtml

and
SYMPTOMS of kennel cough

Normally, symptoms of kennel cough will develop within a week after a dog has been exposed. The most common symptoms are a dry, hacking cough followed by retching, and coughing up a white foamy discharge.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far so good. He's played, he's been chewing on a bully stick........seems normal!! No more episodes!
I thought of that as maybe being a car sick thingie Deb. Maybe hubby grabbed him out of the crate in time.
.....and yes Leslie! It always happens after hours! :roll:
Right now he's sleeping.........God! I hope this is nothing! I can't stand the thought o something wrong! We just went through this 3 months ago with my Springer and it was all BAD! I'm so paranoid after that! I'll call the vet in the morning.
THANKS ALL!!

G

·
It sounds like kennel cough according to what Annmarie found. Don't be alrmed if he starts with a strangled cough, it is VERY scary and pitiful but that is kennel cough...Hopefully, since he has been vaccinated, it will be a mild course..Keep us posted.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re the Kennel Cough. I wonder if there is a difference between retching up white foam and coughing up white foamy discharge? Plus, I don't think we have the dry hacking cough with Bogie which preceeds the foamy discharge. Just thinking here.

Car sickness came to mind to me too Deb, but what threw me off was Lindamarie saying he was laying on her husbands lap for an hour before the second instance came on.

In any event, I hope Bogie is feeling his usual self this morning.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda how's Bogie doing today???

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bogie is fine!!! :D ....so far.
After reading annmarie's articles, it sounds just like what the manager said.......kennel cough. Because the white foamy stuff was present. BUT, he has not had an episode since last night!!!
I'll be calling the vet at 2:30..........he gets in then and he's my favorite.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Bogart.............so far it looks like some freaky episode of SOMETHING!! If it was kennel cough, I would think he's have more then 2 strange incidences and I think that the drooling really may have been car sickness starting up.. :roll:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I too think it might be car sickness. Went through this with Tanner when he was small and went to daycare. Fortunately, he outgrew it :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea annie........I think the drool was the start of car sickness.............but what the second one was God only knows.
I keep thinking they didn't feed him.............forgot to and he may have been hungry and also maybe dehydrated from playing? Of course, if I ask if they fed him they'll say YES! :roll: We bring in his own food...maybe they forgot?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just taked to the vet.
He said it more than likely was motion sickness and doesn't sound like kennel cough..........whew!!
He said he'd be sneezing and wheezing more....and a cough.
He said even if he did get it, it would be extremely mild.
YES!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts