Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard on the radio that now dry dog foods may also be potentially contaminated. I just bought a large bag of Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed dog food. The pet store (Petsmart) assured me it was not on the recalled list. However, I am now getting concerned / confused as to what to feed my dog. Just wondered what you were feeding your dogs. I think the RAW diet, or home made food would be best, but I know that I wouldn't have the time to keep up with it.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We had been feeding Dexter Nutro Large Breed (Lamb and Rice), however the vet said he had food allergies and we switched him to Canidae. It's not the easiest to find, but it does not contain wheat gluten. We kinda rushed the switch a bit because I got concerned about the food recall. He seems to like it.

G

·
I personally would not feed ANYTHING with wheat gluten in it. (not sure if nuto has wheat gluten)
I personally would not feed Nutro.
I do believe Canidae will be safe from the latest round of recalls coming. I would return the Nutro and try Canidae. I am also considering Life's Abundance. Wellness dry also does not contain wheat gluten. I just hate that they used menu Foods for their wet food.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I feed a combination of bland diet w/chicken and CANIDAE

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver gets hamburger or chicken or turkey with
green beans a little sweet potato and oatmeal mixed in with some
Canidae. He loves it and all poops are fine and energy level is very good

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
"Denver gets hamburger or chicken or turkey with
green beans a little sweet potato and oatmeal mixed in with some
Canidae."

That sounds better than what I eat! Hershey eats Royal Canin but doesnt really like it. I havent paid attention to the food recall too much, i thought it was just wet food. Now dry is bad too, I have some reading to do.

·
Registered
260 Posts
we were feeding kumo "royal canin large breed adult" dry food until a couple of weeks ago when the recall stuff started coming out. my reasons for switching at that time were: a) royal canin's website was somewhat evasive about whether they used menu foods as a contract producer, and b) what if the wheat gluten was supplied to other manufacturers than menu foods and we just don't know about it?

turns out that royal canin does business with menu foods, but wheat gluten is not listed among the ingredients of the large breed adult dry food. "corn gluten" is, though. and as we're finding out, lots of manufacturers got wheat gluten from the same supplier.

so, we switched to canidae. no wheat gluten, according to their website all ingredients are of US origin, and kumo LOVES it. as in, scarfs it down all at once loves it. he would eat the royal canin, but he used to pick at it all day until it was gone.

just my 2 cents -- ymmv.
-em

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
With many people switching over to Canidae i wonder if it will end up being carried by more stores in the future??? it's availability is limited in certain areas. I find the price for a 40lb bag to be almost same as other brands in my area.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, so here's my (cynical) opinion.
They SAY it is wheat gluten causing the problem.
They SAY some of it has rat poison.
They SAY now it has plastics.
They SAY that it MAY have found its way to human foods.
They SAY it doesn't affect dry foods.
They SAY now they have found it in SOME dry, but won't list brands.
They SAY it is a source from China.

I SAY...they don't know! When you research as I have been doing constantly (and Linda too, thanks Linda) what you find out is that every day they SAY something new.

So, if you are to believe that the problem is from a wheat source from China, the best foods are the ones that only use US ingrediends...but how do you know? Contact the company and ask pointed questions...like, "Do you use ANY ingredient that is not completely grown/produced/manufactured in the United States? If so...what, when where and what is that ingredient used for?"

Become an informed consumer...then you can decide on a healthy food.

Canidae is one of the trusted ones. So is Innova (also makers of California Natural) and Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance...and Merrick.

The problem I have is that my dogs hate them all...I found out why too, though all of this...Science Diet (the only food they'd eat) uses molasses...sweetner! They are hooked and nothing tastes good without it.

Nutro used to have a good reputation, but many dogs have become very sick eating it. I would either toss the bag or take it back to the store and demand a refund or credit for new food.

Read labels...on the lable of the Eukanuba that made my dog sick, it said that it was packaged in the US and CHINA! And it was dry...(Weaning diet.)

So, don't trust what they SAY...they are guessing. The last thing I read is that they are still stumped as to the cause of this and whether or not it is in human food...of course, they are swearing that it is nearly impossible that humans will be affected...but not 100% positive.

If you can, use home cooking. It doesn't take much...boil chicken, ground beef, or other meats, mix in some veggies (canned pumpkin, carrots or green beans) and add rice. Cook it all until it is mushy...believe me your dogs will thirve and they will be sooooooo happy!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
So we have officially started the switched to raw food. My wife and I have been reading about it for weeks, but were waiting for I dont know what before we started. with all the bad news out there we are taking things into our own hands.

Hershey has always been considered a picky eater, in so much as she would take all day to eat her 3 cups of food. We decided to mix her food with a RAW meal, 50/50. kinda to ease her in, and to not waste the big bag we have of the dry. She has been staring at a bowl of dry all day witout tasting it. its not unusual for her not to eat anything untill late in the afternoon. I guess that should have been our first clue she didnt like it. I mixed it with a raw meal and she just wolfed the hole thing down and now has the most contented look on her face, like its about time.

We are using "Raw food for dogs" by Mogens Eliasen and www.pet-grub.com. Any other suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to switch Sadie over to a non commercial dog food diet, but I am reluctant to start if I know I will not be committed to keeping it up. Seems like somedays I can barely get dinner cooked and served to the humans in the family. Cooking Sadie's dinner would add to the workload. Not that I don't think she is worth it, I am just being realistic!

Is it possible to cook up a big batch and freeze it? Is it better to feed her raw meat or cooked? Can you grind up the raw meat and freeze it in serving sized portions?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed has corn gluten, but no wheat gluten listed on the ingredients.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Canidae Food

What Canidae food do you use? Just switched Max over to the lamb and rice formula. I believe it also comes in chicken and rice.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I feed Tanner the all life stages.

He is not a big eater, would rather play than eat, so I mix his first cup with a little canned dog food either Canidae or Eagle Pack, chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese or ground beef. Then he can free feed on a couple of cups of dry throughout the day.

I am planning to begin to make my own meat mixture to add to his kibble.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After reading this message board I think I will try the Canidae - I found it right here in town too - that will make it convenient. That will be easier than driving the hour to State College for what I use now.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts