Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've not shipped any pups thus far, but have been asked to, so did at one point check into it. I live in a rural area, so have a small airport an hr away in 2 different directions. NorthWest Airlines flies out of both and ships pups, so IF I decided to ship, it would be with them simply because they're what's available to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
AIR CANADA WARNING!

The Air Canada "Airbus" does not have a heated cargo area that is safe for pups! Air Canada studies have shown that their cargo temperature can drop as low as +2 Celcius (colder than most fridges). But as long as the shipper signs a cold weather waiver, Air Canada will fly pups on these aircraft but is not responsible if the pup dies! THIS IS TRAGIC AND MUST BE STOPPED!!! A waiver should not determine if a pup can fly on an aircraft - the safety of the aircraft should speak for itself!

In fairness to Air Canada, their 767's have cargo compartments that are heated to safe puppy temperatures.

Before shipping a puppy on any airline - don't take the airline's word that their cargo area is "heated". Heated to +2C could still mean frigid for a young pup! ASK what temperature your pup will be exposed to!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Re: AIR CANADA WARNING!

CJ said:
Before shipping a puppy on any airline - don't take the airline's word that their cargo area is "heated". Heated to +2C could still mean frigid for a young pup! ASK what temperature your pup will be exposed to!
Excellant Advise, not only for breeders who choose to ship, but especially for those who are buying a puppy that will be shipped

I find it sad that airlines would accept a puppy for shipment when their cargo on plane or in airports are not at an acceptable tempurature for a puppy - there should not be waiver, they just shouldnt ship if they don't have the appropriate temps :evil: JMO

G

·
Maya flew Northwest and even had an overnite stay in Minneapolis and she was fine. It was August when I go ther so being to cold wasn't the problem. The heat was and Northwest would not let a pup fly in cargo if the temp at the departing or landing city was over 85 degrees F

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
my experience with American was terrific..for that reason ..anyone shipping to san francisco or norcal..use SFO

in some airports the live cargo comes in at a different terminal..which in many cases we have no idea where it s at..American sends it s live cargo to a area right behind their normal luggage carrosels..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shipping dogs by air

Hello All,
We use Northwest Airlines because they have a V.I.P. cargo service which costs more but is worth it.Northwest has a hub here in our area(Detroit)so we have many destination choices available with direct flights.
:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry, just saw this post and thought I'd add to it quickly.

Re: the temperature. I have found, at least in the last 2 yrs, that the airlines are very strict re: the temperatures the puppies (or any animal) are allowed to fly in. If it is going to be very cold or very warm (85 deg), then a veterinarian has to write a letter to the airline letting them know it is safe for the animal to fly and what the lowest/highest temperature is acceptable. If the temperature is STILL under/above what the vet says, the airline will refuse the animal. The details as to what is acceptable or not are quite lengthy, but if there is a problem flying a dog at too high or cold of temperatures, then you may want to rethink your vet!

With that being said, many people have had different experiences with airlines, but I have found Continental to be AMAZING! Their Customer Service was exceptional, they have temp controlled area for the animals and they have a kennel at their hub with boarding and grooming options. I'd definitely use them anytime I could!

:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Napa just flew Continental. I was also with him during the flight. They appeared to handle him well. I watched him be loaded originally, taken off the plane, missed the reload, and then witnessed the off load. It was even raining in Cleveland, but they took him right off the plane and into a parked cargo van. So, everything went well. I highly recommend him.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey everyone,
I want to say I've used several airlines, and a couple of comments: the heat/cold restrictions are for the ground, when the puppy is potentially out on the tarmac. But what CJ was talking about is the temp in the air, at 35000ft. above sea level the plane cargo hold is potentially cold. I've never asked - that's a good question! I send our puppies with a blanket, not just newspaper, so I hope they're ok.

As for which ones I prefer, it really depends, to me, on where a pup is going. LOTS of places are non-stop flts from here (Denver) to other cities so if we can work that out, with United or Frontier, I like to use them. Air Canada doesn't ship in or out of Denver :cry: In the same way Detroit (DTW) is a hub for Michigan breeders or MN breeders, United and Frontier are easy to use here. If a puppy is going someplace that is a non-stop flt then I use whomever I can with the shortest flight. Fares/costs are too similar to let that stand in the way. BUT DELTA IS A HASSLE no matter what! Anymore with Sky West sending me to Delta, and Delta sending me to Skywest, I hate it! Just had to get that out. :roll:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Out of curiosity, how does a breeder "vet" the new owners if they have to fly the puppy to them?

Do the new owners come and meet the puppies or is there other ways of meeting. It's something I've always been curious about but living in the UK shipping isn't something I've ever come across.
What's the minimum distance they have to live before you consider shipping?

Forgive me noseyness but being on a US site has brought up so many more questions for me. It's all quite an education :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Bello in the U.S. puppies have to be min of 8 weeks old to ship on airlines
now depending on their weight, small puppies can be flown w/a person on the plance otherwise they charge by the weight and have specific size regulations on the crate and shipped in cargo area under plane.

there are temperature limits as to how HOT and how COLD so depending on tiem of year, if it's say 65degrees in NY and I were shipping a puppy to Texas or Florida and it's 85 degrees there or hotter
i can't ship the puppy to them

Northwest however has a VIP shipping that charges anywhere from $100-$200 more for that service

you need shot record and clean bill of health visit from vet,etc

Owners are expected to meet puppies at the airport.

Other than this info.........i don't know much more in regards to international shipping regulations

1 - 14 of 14 Posts