Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I saw the picture of Lisa's Toby...I could no longer resist. We're getting Toby's brother. Right now his name in the picture is Sampson. As soon as I saw him I melted. I sent the link to my husband and I think he had the same reaction. We're going to make the trek down there Saturday and get him. We are all so excited. So now we'll have 2 year old Chester and 11 week old ? (we're still tossing names around. I think we have to meet him in person first.) I hope Chester is a good role model. He's been so wonderful and easy to train.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any one have a suggestion on whether or not we should bring Chester with us when we get our new pup. Its about a 7 hour drive and I don't know if it would be too much togetherness for them.

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I went to the airport to pick up Fozzie, I did not bring any dogs with me. They all took to him fine. I guess that would be your choice. If you want Chester in the car for that long, and he does not mind; it may be okay, but the breeder might be cautious about an outside dog in their area.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I personally think that your new puppy would do best alone. That way, when you get home, Chester and the puppy can bond in their own way, in their own time. Putting them together in such close quarters, under uncomfortable conditions may not be the best thing...and besides, you will have lots of time to bond with your new puppy along the way!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I thought about bringing Lani when we picked up Toby so Julie could see her. I decided not to knowing how active she is with other dogs. Chester is older so there may not be the same issues. We felt he needed to get use to us before he met Lani, the wild woman. He ended up sleeping next to Jess a good part of the way home. Have a safe trip. Can't wait to see pictures of Toby's brother! It has taken me 45 minutes to write this, I've been keeping and eye on Big Time Puppy Wrestling!:lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As of right now...Chester will stay home with the "welcoming committee"...who knows what we'll decide tomorrow.
My daughter spent last night getting the puppy room ready. When we finished our basement we moved our washer and dryer down there leaving us with a little room. It was perfect for Chester's crate and everything else. She was cleaning it and setting up the crate.
Just before bedtime Chester had wandered into the crate and sat down. It was funny. It reminded me of moving the crib from the older kid's room to the baby's room.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For what its worth . I did hear the dog whisperer suggest when introducing a new puppy meet on neutral ground....So even if your dog stays home maybe you could take the puppy to a park and bring your dog there to meet for the first time ...Either way it will probably go fine...
I also remember hearing that when you introduce a dog to a pack the poodle will be the most likely to welcome the stranger...I think that goes double for doodles......
Congratulations to you ...life will never be the same ....again ...two doodles are a lot of fun....sometimes like a barrell of monkeys I suspect....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I've heard that too, Jackie....nice to have you posting again, you've been missed!

I've never done the neutral thing and we've been ok, but yeah, it's a great idea if you want to or can work it out.

Sometimes I have had someone bring their first dog here to my house, when picking up the 2nd dog or doodle. That works out GREAT! I thought it was really smart the first time we saw that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts