Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
In just 3 hours we'll be picking up our new baby girl. She has the same Mom & Dad as Odie so we know she's got good genes. I hardly slept all night thinking about cuddling the new baby & the puppy kisses & puppy breath. We've gone thru so much these last few months with both Patty & Daisy dying & Odie being a bit at loose ends suddenly being an only child. He'll be happy to have a sibling again.
Our new baby was born on St Patrick's Day so we thought an Irish name was appropriate -- Molly McDoodle. We were first thinking of Iris as a name - I'm an eye doc so it seemed fitting, but then thinking about it, Iris seemed like it might be too sophisticated for such a scruffy Disney-dog breed. Odie's name is actually "OD" which is the Latin medical abbreviation for Oculus Dexter which means "right eye." In the beginning when I'd write about him as OD folks either thought it was pronounced "odd" or they thought we meant "over-dose" so I started to type it as Odie so the correct pronounciation was understood.
Anyway -- I'm so excited I can hardly sit still typing this! I'll take photos & post them soon.
Gabriele, Odie & coming soon, Molly
(ps - I guess I'm finally ready to update my signature without having Patty & Daisy's names attached - they're forever in our hearts)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Pattydaisy,

Congratulations! I know how excited you are. We picked up our little girl in February after suddenly loosing our 5 year old chocolate lab, K.C. in January. Noelani, "Lani" was born on Christmas day. We gave her a Hawaiian name that means beautiful girl from heaven. Lani has been such a joy! Post pictures soon! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm so excited for you!
I love hearing how people came up with names for their dogs. I looked at Chester and saw him running around with those floppy too big ears and with his tounge hanging out of the side of his mouth like it wouldn't fit inside his mouth and he just looked like a Chester.

Lani IS a beautiful girl from heaven---she was one of my daughter's favorites at the CHI Doodle Romp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
How exciting! Congratulations on your new puppy girl! Can't wait to see pictures.

I like to hear about the origins of names of pets (and people!) OD sounds so much brainier now that you've explained it. Do you ever call him "Oculus Dexter!" when you want to be stern with him? Kind of like when moms use full birth names, middle names and all!

My kids and I are book worms so we named Sawyer after one of our favorite literary characters, Tom. But my 15 year old son is into classic rock 'n roll music, like the band Rush who have the song titled "Tom Sawyer." Our previous dog, Ollie, we named after Oliver Twist because he was an orphan.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Gabriele!!!! I am sooooooooo happy for you!!! Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures and hear how the welcoming goes!

You are so right when you say that Patty and Daisy are attached to your hearts...and it will always be that way...but hearts are big...and capable of so much growth in order to hold all of the love we have been given and I KNOW that your new baby will give so much love to you and to OD!

I love the history of OD's name! I laughed at your thought process...when we got our girls, we went through Black's Law Dictionary to find a law-related name! LOL (Bayley...an old English name for Bailiff...and Lexie, means the Law... :D ) So, when Chase came along, we were searching the dictionary again for his name...but he kept chasing our girls. All day long, every where they went...so, Chase he is! (Acutally, we could fudge with it and say we got it from the movie, "The Paper Chase". hahaha)

Next we got little Rosie...our Goldendoodle...is Rosie a legal name? Nosiree! We decided that, since we moved from Santa Rosa...we'd name our new baby girl Rosie...but as time went on, we started calling her "Rosarita Bean" and now she answers to "Beanie"...or just plain "Bean." :lol:

I love the way that Ollie and Lani got their names too...it's so much fun to see the name "evolve"...and to hear the stories. I hope that others share their naming games with us!

I am certain that your new baby will come up with the perfect name...and you will laugh at how you arrived at that one too.

Wow, I am so happy for you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Congrats Gabriele!
I can't wait to see pics. What does your little Molly look like?

I too love hearing how people came up with the names for their dogs. All of your posts made me smile. Of course you guys know that I gave Coal his name due to his color and because he was a Christmas gift for my kids (they got COAL for Xmas). I also totally understand how your dogs names morph into something totally strange and unique! Who would have thought Jac would name her pup Rosie and have her answer to Bean? Hahah. We call our doggy Coal-meister or Coal-y..... almost never a straight up COAL unless maybe I am being stern with him. My mom's dog Frenchy has become French-fry to my siblings. POOR GIRL! Anyway, everyone should post their naming stories. They are fun!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby!! I'm sooo jealous; I'd love a sibling for Dakota! We named him Dakota because it is the Sioux Indian name for "friend" and I thought that was so sweet because they really are our best friends! Usually, though, we call him Kotaroo after we discovered he loved to jump around like a kangaroo! His "downs" are just as expressive as his "jumps"--in obedience, when I give him a down command, he does't just lie down, he does a total body flop which cracks his trainer up :lol: !

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Everyone is right, it is so interesting how people come up with names for their animals. Our chocolate lab K.C. was named by my sister (who originally owned). K.C. stands for Kaluah Creme Ale who would have guessed?!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Everyone is right, it is so interesting how people come up with names for their animals. Our chocolate lab K.C. was named by my sister (who originally owned). K.C. stands for Kaluah Creme Ale who would have guessed?!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think I would have called her the gaffa which is glasses in Spanish, and it is a fun name, but congrats, we also got our doodle last night, he is a little monster, we should have called him the hulk, but otto it was, and he is a bundle of fun

·
Registered
689 Posts
At the dog park I listen to all the other dog names. There are a lot of names that just seem common to dogs regardless of the type.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Well we got our little Molly & she's the sweetest little, black wavy, bundle of puppiness at its best! She weighs 7 lbs & is totally at ease around her big brother Odie who weighs 90 lbs. She marches right up to him & snifs him & tries to grab his chin hairs. He is so gentle with her & so patient & just turns his head the other way, both their tails wagging the whole time - so far! That may change as she gets bigger & more rambunctous. On the way home, Molly was sleeping on my Mom's lap in the back seat with Odie's big head right next to her sharing the same lap. Oh, I'm just so happy, happy -- I'm convinced that heaven must be full to the brim with cuddly little puppies to love & play with!!
Well, gotta get back to loving her up! Photos will be posted tomorrow.
Gabriele

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm so excited for Gabriele and Angie and your new babies! Can't wait to see photos!!! I think back on the day we brought Jorja home and it was such an exciting day! She is 4 months old now and can be such a well bahaved young lady but then she has her full out craziness.

I searched and searched for a name for our puppy. Of course, we weren't going to actually meet her until she came to the airport. I had a list a mile long of names. Nothing really stuck but then one night I was watching CSI Las Vegas and saw that Sarah's real name was Jorja Fox. I loved that name! Then I looked it up on a name website and it said it meant "Farmer" which is our last name. All of our dogs' middle name is Rue so she became Jorja Rue.

My oldest son who was in Iraq at the time decided he wanted to name her Ragnar which is after some person in an animated movie. Well, if she were a boy I might consider that name. She acts like a rag doll sometimes when she runs then just flops but she is a sweet little girl so she will always be Jorja except maybe when she is hyper. :lol:

Enjoy that puppy breath!! Wish they could have that forever!

Marty

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats and good luck with the new pup. My Dora is almost 5 months and I remember how bad I had puppy fever too. I couldn't think of anything but having her here with me.
We named her Dora because my baby who was 11 months at the time, loves Dora the explorer. At the time Kaitie could say only a few words like mama, dada, and bye-bye. She started to say Dora the day we found her in the pet shop. And making a joke to my hubby I said we should name her Dora so the baby can call her too. Now the baby says it really fast like Doradoradora and the puppy loves it! And believe me she does some exploring!!
Can't wait to see the pictures!
Beth and Dora
http://community.webshots.com/user/beminder

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats on Molly! Our dood is also a "little, black wavy, bundle of puppiness!" We named him Quinault becuase we wanted a Pacific Northwest name so he can be our memento when we move away from Seattle. We had a whole list of Northwesty names when we went to pick him up. We decided on Quinault ("Quin") after a few hours with him. It just seemed right. Another finalist was Chinook - but I realized we'd have ended up calling him "Nookie" ... :wink:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I bet Patty and Daisy are smiling down watching the new pup and are as happy as could be for Odie. Congratulations on your new baby!

I love the stories about the names. It makes my "he just looked like a Chester" seem pretty lame! Especially when someone asks what Chester looks like and I can't explain it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Nookie!!! hahahahaha!!! That is tooo funny!

Congratulations to Gabriele and Angie! I am so happy for you both!

I love this thread...and hearing about names and how they are evolving. Very funny.

I'll be watching for those pics!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
oh Gabriele!! I think I missed the news that you lost your Patty and Daisy. First, I'm so sorry about that. You gave those girls the best life they every could have had.

CONGRATS on adopting MOLLY!! Are there pictures posted yet?
We have bold, silky, loving black babies right now so I'm picturing these as I read of your bringing Molly to meet OD (Odie).

Nice to see your posts and your news......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats, from one **** to another, what a great name. We picked up our Muphy close to St. Pats day so we went with the Irish name as well. But with the last name of Daugherty he had to have something that went along.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
This is a fun thread. Of course, being a breeder, I have several Labradoodles and most names I chose because I just liked the name. I won't go thru all my doodles' names but Niki was my very first Labradoodle and she was born on Christmas Day so I named her after St. Nick. The newest addition to our family will be coming home in 2 more weeks and I can hardly wait. He is a bit special so he needed a special name, therefore I have named him Archie James and believe it or not that was my Granny's name (they must have wanted a boy) :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts