Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. I got a question for ya. I guess dogs are like people. Come in all shapes and sizes and all have their unique personalities and idiosyncrasies. Marley has his share. In the heat we have been experiencing here in Wisconsin, high temps and high humidity, Marley just hates the heat. Understandable. But even when it is cooler out he will tug for life to get out of the sun and into the shade. When we go outside he just simply makes a beeline to the shady spot. The other day there was only about an area maybe 5 feet long and a foot wide that was shaded under a raised deck and that is where he dashed to. I guess that is ok, but ya cannot do a whole lot in that space. I definitely do not over do it with him when it's this hot and he is not a fanatic about it but the last couple of days, walks are much easier after the sun goes down or early before it comes up. And he is starting to head to the door frequently, later at night just to go out in the cooler temps and lie in the cool grass, faking the call "to do his business".

Is this common behavior? Do doodles normally despise the sun or is Marley ready for the loony bin? Or should I just chalk it up to high humidity and temps in the high 80's and just wait it out? Have not had and appreciable amount or rain in six weeks(2 days short of how long we have had him), and I see no end in sight yet. Mini kid pool works to varying degrees at times, but I'd rather not do that every time he is out which is quite a bit. Marley is definitely going to be a fall-winter dog. Which is ok with me, I am looking forward to cooler weather to. This photo shows his reaction to the steamy weather.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would say that puppies in general arent real keen on super hot or super cold. They are learning to regulate their tempatures :)

Also as evidenced by my 100 pound lab - labs hate hot! My guy wouldnt come in when its -20 below in Montana. He would just lay there looking at me going soooooo you gonna make me or just look at me! When it gets up to 60 degrees you would think the polar cap was melting! He is panting and drooling :) We moved to southern illinois and I wasnt sure he would survive! Well he did and now we are in Michigan with probably the same weather as you and he is doing fine, he does like a/c and shade but he has adjusted. I am sure he will love winter when it comes in a few months!

So just a little insight into my experiences. Oh on the other hand, my poodle hates cold! And rain and wet feet! So I guess it does depend on your pup! They are all different :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That is exactly what Tanner does. When we go for walks, he dashes from shade to shade. When it is hot ourside, he is happy to just veg...but really comes to life in the evening :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
when it's real hot out...max and peanut get down to business quickly and then lay under the shade of a crabapple tree. Heck i join them under there too .

inside the house Peanut and max hog the floor fan and also lay under the ceiling fans sprawled out. :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
oh yeah! my labradoodle (and my moms) hog up floor vents when the a/c is on!!! I have to push them off to keep the house cool!!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Marley is adorable !

Annabelle hates the Hot Sun ! we dont have much shade in backyard so when it's hot out she runs for the one tree we have and if she sees John (neighbor) she runs over says hi then hits the 1ftx4ft piece of shade by the porch and wags her tail at him. She has hated sun since we got her, she is always warm to the touch.
Now in the winter and once the sun has gone down she will stay outside for hours.

We had 2 choc labs before Annabelle and Molly loved the sun -she'd lay on the deck for hours - Heidi would run out do what she needed then back in the A/C in winter it was the opposite - if we had snow , H would lay in it, you'd have t drag her in - M would go out for a bit but then come in and lay on the heat

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette was so lethargic in the heat a few weeks ago that I ended up taking her to the vet's. She wasn't eating and was totally wiped out. Even when we had the airconditioning running, she was a mere shadow of her former self - although that's not a difficult trick for her since she's black. Our last five dogs were Great Danes and they loved the heat. We practically had to pull our last one away from the wood stove or she'd crawl under it. So a dog who began panting desperately when it hit 70 was hard to fathom.

Now that she's fifteen weeks old Chouette is getting a bit more savvy and may be able to regulate her temperature a bit better. Heat still wipes her out but she's eating better and has figured out the a/c ducts. I suspect she's worked out a map of them all in her head, although she does have favorites. She's also figured out which floors are coolest, and has preferences depending on time of day or some more arcane standard that I haven't worked out yet. We have different sorts of tile in the kitchen and in the entryway, our floors are hardwood, and the porch is concrete, so she has quite a range of choices. Obviously she does not like anything as soft or cuddly as a dog bed. Still likes laps, though.

Can't wait to see what she does with winter and snow. I'm a warm weather person, myself, so we're going to be out of sync there. I do not enjoy standing outside in 10 degree weather waiting for a dog to finish her business, but I have a feeling she'll not want to come back in under those circumstances.

All this is to say that Marley is by no means alone. You didn't say how old he is; could just be puppyhood exacerbating a natural tendency to prefer cool to warm.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie...just curious but what did you vet say and/or suggest?

Peanut here is a SNOW lover!! i swear she'd build and live in an igloo hahhahaa The heat does make her appetite wane a bit ...max he seems to eat no matter what the weather is. Though i will say they eat more during cooler months.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Maddjaxx
Nice to meet another Wisconsonite on the site!
T'was another warm one today wasn't it? At one point the heat index was 100... I was panting right along with the dogs.

Seriously, I brought them all in and kept them cool with the AC 'cause I was worried about how that kind of heat would affect them. I know I don't enjoy it, so assume they probably don't either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Matey is 12 weeks old and he too wants to sit in the shade when the temp rises. How old is Marley? He and Matey have the same kind of look. Where did you get him?

·
Registered
985 Posts
MaxandMe said:
Leslie...just curious but what did you vet say and/or suggest?
Annmarie, it was a young vet whom I'd never dealt with before, and he was quite an alarmist. He thought it might be meningitis, because she was a bit tender around the spine, and he commented that she was obviously a sick critter because puppies don't normallly lie as quietly on the table as she was. I explained that that was just Chouette; she's a mellow little girl. He advised me to wait for further tests until Wednesday (this was a Monday) and see if she perked up; if not he'd do blood work and check out some other things. He kept asking me whether she were vomiting or having diarrhea, and at that point she wasn't, but after I got her home she upchucked her breakfast and then had some very loose stools, so I was really worried. But I kept her quiet, inside where it was cool, for a couple of days instead of taking her with me to the lake and to my granddaughter's usual round of activities, which includes riding lessons at a stable and swimming lessons at a friend's pool, and after that she was fine. She does tend to eat less and have looser stools when it's hot.

A friend who's a retired vet advised, when she wasn't eating much, that I give her Gatorade. She didn't like it but finally ended up drinking it, and that seemed to help perk her up. Replenished the electrolytes and all that good stuff.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow you had quite the scare.

for me, whether is my kids or doodles i tend to observe and also listen to my gut feeling for calling the vet. lukily i get the older vet :D who uses both medicianal and Common Sense Approach.

When it's hot out my HUMONGOUS goes down quickly and i too can barely eat much until nighttime. Thus my doodles seem to do the same. they're in good spirits just a bit lazier and just nibble on their food. They've gotten softer stools too.

anyway, i also go When i am hot what makes me feel better: a cool shower....soooooooo i hose down the doodles then too.

NOW if they aren't acting right I do call a vet

·
Registered
985 Posts
The main reason I took her to the vet is that we were at sailing camp and my friend whose husband is the retired vet was concerned about Chouette and wondered whether her symptoms were due to the Lyme vaccine she was given several weeks prior to that. They don't believe in that particular vaccine and feel it can do more harm than good. So I figured I'd better get her checked out. My dad was a doctor (died last year at 92, still the administrator of a health center!) and always preached "intelligent neglect." In other words, don't go nuts, just watch carefully. As you say, you'll know when it's time to consult further. But most things resolve themselves without intervention.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
We're having a heat wave

It gets really hot here in the Houston area and we have discovered that Cali loves to eat ice cubes when she's hot. It also satisfies her insatiable urge to chew. Does anybody else's labradoodle love to chew on ice?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Re: We're having a heat wave

Calimom said:
It gets really hot here in the Houston area and we have discovered that Cali loves to eat ice cubes when she's hot. It also satisfies her insatiable urge to chew. Does anybody else's labradoodle love to chew on ice?
It's always funny to put the ice cubes in Chouette's water and watch her create a small flood on the kitchen floor while she tries to dig them out with her paws. She ends up cooler and happy and we think it's a hoot. Yes, she loves to chew on 'em!

Leslie

G

·
Welcome Cali'sMom! Cali is beautiful! I love that color. Has she always been silver or did she change? Would love to see puppy photos! And Bella loves ice cubes. She will play with them and chew them. The cheapest toy I have found! :lol:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi Cali's mom.....Cali is really a good looking doogle..love her color. Yep...our Tanner runs to the fridge everytime we go for ice cubes...also when he comes in from the heat he likes to munch on a few..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another ice cube lover here! As soon as he's tall enough, I swear Bigsby is going to try to press the ice dispenser in the door of the refrigerator - he tries to do it now! One of his most favorite things is to sit in front of me with big, pleading eyes and "ask" me for the ice from whatever drink I'm drinking. I always give him pieces of crushed ice because I worry about him choking on larger chunks - but is that much of a danger?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
max plays bobbing for the cube hahahahaha and gets one for peanut who then prances around holding it in her mouth eventaully they eat their cube but not till they slide them across the whole floor first :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts