Labradoodle Forums banner

Weird food question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sheila 
#1 ·
I've been feeding Pixie Wellness almost since I got her in September, she always enthusiastically eats. I'm giving her about 1/2 a can and 1/4-1/3 a cup of the kibble (moistened), twice a day.

Last night I noticed that she didn't eat much of the canned stuff. Even though she'd eaten the first half of the same can that morning, I thought maybe it just smelled off to her for some reason, so I tossed it and gave her a little more kibble. This morning, after I fed her I walked her for an hour, and then when we came back I noticed a big lump of the canned food in her dish again. It looked like she'd eaten a bit of it, not much. I was thinking I should throw it out, but she trotted over to her dish and started eating. Then she went into the living room, and I noticed she'd taken the big lump of canned food with her and plopped it on the rug (great). She walked away from it, and of course I picked it up and tossed it out. Then she sniffed and licked around where it had been for a few seconds.

This is all such weird behavior for her. She ALWAYS cleans her bowl right away, first of all. And is not picky in the slightest. I haven't changed the amount of food, or frequency of feeding. She's eating the kibble, and eliminating normally, so I don't think she's sick. I don't mush up the canned food, if it happens to plop out in one big chunk I leave it that way, so I don't think that's why she wasn't eating. I just can't figure it out.

Any guesses?

See less See more
#2 ·
That seems to be typical of doodles. Tyke is going through another "I hate my food phase" right now. There was a recent forum thread about this, and some of the other doodle parents suggested adding yogurt, a little broth, or something else to tempt them. Unlike a cat, as long as a dog is healthy, she won't starve herself to death. Tyke finally ate her breakfast at lunch today, after I threatened and then pretended to eat it! I think the siege may be over for now!

#3 ·
Update - Pixie ate all of her dinner quickly tonight. I would have thought that it was just a bad can, except that it involved two cans, and she ate the other half of one of the cans happily (the other half of the second is still in the fridge). I dunno...I guess I will try adding something tempting if it happens again.

#4 ·
Try a spoonfull of yogurt, or chicken broth, or Kong treat spread (in a cheese whiz type container for filling Kong treats with). I dont know if everyone will aprove of the Kong treat spread but it has worked for Samantha a time or two.

#5 ·
You know, I have some of that Kong spread. I gave it to Pixie for a treat when she was younger, and it disagreed with her - but she had the most sensitive stomach then. Every time I would pick her up, she would burp in my face. I had her on Pepcid for her first few months with us, in fact. Thanks for reminding me - I will try any and all of your suggestions the next time she gets picky. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.