Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone. I don't know if anyone has had this come up but I thought I would see. We have been using a metal prong collar for about 3 weeks. It works great and I love it. But, yesterday, I added a link. I put the collar on this morning and left it on for about 4 hours. By the time I took it off there was a silver ring around my puppy's neck. And, I just noticed that he has lost fur around his neck in places. I gave him a bath and put neosporin on the sore spots. His neck still has the metal stain on the fur. Any ideas? I am thinking he is allergic to metal. Now, I am looking for a non metal collar that's as good as a prong.

·
Registered
128 Posts
hmmm

I wonder if he's allergic to nickle? I know I can't wear earrings that are 10k or less gold because it has nickle in it and I get an infection every time. It's a very common allergy so maybe dogs have it too. Poor baby. Give him some Benedryl. If you don't know the dosage I can look at one of my kid's bottles and see what mgs you should give.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I left all collars off my puppy through the night and his neck looks better already. Poor baby. He never even made a squeak about the problem.

I ordered a Curogan Prong from K/9 Toolbox. It was about $30.00 so I hope it works. I also heard that you can sew a cloth cover for a prong too. So, we have several solutions. There is such a difference with our puppy, he's such a struggle without the prong. So, I am hoping to get our new prong ASAP!

Thanks to everyone.

Susan

·
Registered
215 Posts
Susan-
Poor puppy! He must have had some sort of reaction. The previous suggestions are really good ones. I also remember seeing rubber tips for the prong collar- but I can't remember where... it may have been www.dog.com I hope he gets better- and good luck finding something that works!

Bridget and Summer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts