Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am a newer member researching if a labradoodle pup will make a good choice for our family.

Does anyone know if there is a reasonably reliable way to predict adult weight and coat for a young pup?

Has anyone introduced a new doodle pup to the family cat? How did it go?

Thanks

Maddie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome, there is some info about doodles and cats in the "considering a labradoodle" on the post "info required" hope it helps

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hello Maddie, welcome :) In the early generations, there really is no way of predicting the adult coat or the mature weight of the puppy. There is more predictability in several generations of Labradoodle to Labradoodle.

My puppies are raised with "Libby", the whelping house cat so they are use to having a cat around. I believe any Labradoodle will get along with a cat if introduced to them as a puppy, as long as the cat will tolerate the puppy, that would be the big question :wink:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Di

Thanks for you input. You have hit the nail right on the head. It's not the puppy's temperment I'm worried about. My main concern is the cat.

We decided to look for a puppy rather than a dog, as our cat is not a sweet and affetionate lap cat. We were hoping the innocence of a puppy would be our best bet for the possibility of harmony.

My cat loves to be in the room with me, and will follow me from room to room. But he tolerates only minimal petting, and often bites if he is picked up and held. Its a rare occasion that he will stay on my lap for more than a few minutes.

Is there any hope, or am I heading for disaster?

Any advice would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maddie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi Maddie, Welcome :)

I have a stuck up cat too! My cat is several years older than my doodle, so yes my cat came first and then the doodle. I had no problem whatsoever. They are not best friends but they tolerate. My cat like yours wasnt really loving to start with so when she finally gets in the mood she will come around the dogs to get to me :)

Our kitty like dixiedi's is the puppys introduction to cats :) She actually shows a little interest in the pups from time to time and when they are of walking and bouncing age she actually teases them a little :) Its great for socialization and hilarious to watch.

M~

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have three cats, one is 14 years old, and the others are 4 years old. The older cat really dislikes the younger cats (always has), but all the cats tolerate Kenai, our 4 month old puppy. Even the old grumpy cat will stand her ground, pawing back at Kenai when she tries to play.

It took a couple of weeks, though, for the cats to get used to having another animal in the house. For some reason they all did get used to her, unlike the way they haven't gotten used to each other, even after 4 years!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

It is my hope that cat (Rascal) and the pup will come to be friends, but I would be satisfied if they would peacefully co-exhist. It is my fear that they will be constantly fighting, due to my Rascal's personality. I'm hoping that it will help a little that Rascal has been declawed.

Does anyone have advice as to the best way to introduce them?

Maddie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts