Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I'm new to the forum and to doodle ownership. I've been the proud parent of a Dan, a 4.5 month old goldendoodle, for about 2 months now, and I'm so thrilled that I found this discussion board -- what a wealth of advice!!

My question is related to doodle eye care. Dan's eyes weep pretty regularly -- I always feel like I'm wiping away eye boogers. He doesn't seem to have any irritation/redness, and he doesn't paw at his eyes or anything, so I don't think they bother him too much, but they just worry me! I'm wondering if maybe the weeping is related to the hair around his eyes... do most of you trim around your doodles' eyes? If so, do you do it yourself or take your dog to the groomer? Any advice related to eye grooming, or possible causes of the weepy eyes would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Linn

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Linn
Welcome to Dooleland!!!
Congrats on your puppy.
You know how we like pictures, so as soon as you can. :wink: :wink:
As far as the eyes, I wipe Denver's eyes at least twice a day
they are just large gooey drops of whatever in the corner of his
eyes and my vet has told me they are harmless and so i just
clean them up each morning and night. Just like wiping a kids
nose. Bahahaahhhahaaaaa!!!!
But you know you should always check with your own vet if you have concerns.
Once again Welcome!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Welcome Linn and Dan!! My Jonah and Miko also get their little crusty eye boogers removed once or twice a day. It never hurts to ask a vet, but if it's not excessive, I wouldn't be concerned.

And as Sue said....pictures are all we ask in return for advice! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi Linn...nice to meet you and congrats on DAN!!!!

i'd ask my vet about the weeping. Peanut gets what we call Eye Boogers daily and our vet said it's nothing. So i clean her little morning gunk daily but wiping it out.
Max on the other hand only had it for a month or two and it went away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys!! It sounds like Dan's eye boogers are on par w/ everyone else's, so I guess I just have to get used to wiping them off. I'll ask the vet next time we're in, but I feel much better after hearing from you all.

I'm trying to figure out the whole picture thing, so hopefully I'll have one up soon!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Welcome Linn & Dan :D I'll join the chorus above ... Ebbe has had eye crusty's since day one. And like the others, her Vet said "Some dogs just get them!" So morning and night, I wipe them out.

P.S. This is a greata site for info and smiles.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I clean out the eye boogers daily here too. When he was groomed the time before last, she cut his eyelashes....big mistake. When they started to grow back in, he got an eye infection...had to wash his eyes each AM with warm wash cloth and make sure that the eyelashes were not going back into his eyes. This last groomer trimmed around his eyes very well but left lashes alone...eye infection and weeping has cleared up. :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Annie ... Why would a groomer trim eyelashes? Do they have to be told everything, or shouldn't they ask the owner? I recently had Ebbe groomed using a picture of Jacque's Nitos as an example. I knew from reading this forum to tell the Groomer NOT to shave her face ... but to have to tell them NOT to trim the eyelashes? I guess I'll have to add that to the list of specific instructions.
(Ebbe looked beautiful after her grooming ... very happy with the job done.)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I took the same set of instructions to three groomers...highlighted what I wanted done...I think only the last one even bothered to look at them...you may remember that Tanner's eyelash were at least 2 inches long :twisted:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Welcome Linn and Dan :D

Add Dexter to the list of booger-eyed doodles. I literally GAG when I have to scrape out a dried eye cookie (I used my thumbnail...ick I'm gaggin even thinking about it....
)

BUT. I was in Petco yesterday, and I saw this eye cleaner for dogs. I didn't buy it but I'm assuming that it helps with that. I'll give it a try myself.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hahahahaha Lynn...I hope you're not a nurse!!!! Your post just cracked me up!!!! And I gag when I have to take a pill with water!!! hahahaha...tomato juice or orange juice with lots of pulp for me to push those suckers down!!! hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, embarrasingly I can't figure out how to make a picture show up under my name ... all of my images are too large!! I'm trying instead to post a picture via photobucket, so we'll see if this works. :)

Here is Dan, looking a little scruffy after playtime at the park.

And here he is with his favorite pal Titus the bulldog. (They're the same age and last week both lost a tooth on the same morning!!)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
aw come on now....maybe your doodles think YOUR eye boogers are gross too? :roll: :lol: ahahhahahaaaaaa

if they really bother you...just get an old washcloth and wet it with warm water and lightly rub the morning boogers away :D

and LINN....save a picture to YOUR DESktop ok? then go to profile and hit the browse button,,,,select the picture you saved on your DESKTOP ...it should work

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Gene and all...
I know ... I know ... I know :oops:
I see all the fun photos and want to share .... will definitely get the Food Guy to show me the ropes SOON.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Raleighsmom said:
Hahahahaha Lynn...I hope you're not a nurse!!!!
Funny, I used to be a respiratory therapist. I have seen every secretion, excretion, exudate and transudate that the human body can throw at you; not to mention a variety of internal body organs too. The only thing that ever ever got to me was vomitus - I'd have to leave the room. And now I guess you can add doggie eye boogers to the list.... :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts