Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bodzin got ahold of some pens and my fingernail file today. By the time my husband got to him, he had two blueish front feet and the plastic end of the file was gone. We found the other parts of the pen, but I cannot find that maybe two inch plastic part of the file. It is only about 1/3 inch wide and not very thick, but I am concerned. It has been 4 hours as of 1:30 eastern time on Saturday since he ate it (which I am assuming that he did). Should I induce vomiting? Or should I wait it out?
In puppy proofing my house, somehow he found some stuff somewhere to chew on!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...well I can tell you from our experience that items our doodles eat do not come back up for 1-3 days. 2 opinions:

1) Just keep a close eye on him...make sure he keeps pooping like normal, eats and drinks normally etc.
2) Call the vet today (since it's Sat and they may still be open) to see what they say. Since most normal vets would be closed tomorrow you may want to get an opinion.

My feeling - it doesn't sound like it is very wide so I bet it will come out one way or another...

uggh...why do they have to eat everything???? Keep us updated.

P.S. I would not induce vomiting unless your vet says to do so...we were told items could get lodged coming up...I think inducing vomiting is more for if they eat something poisonous.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks..

Most of you know that I am about to add another to my brood here, so believe me... I am going through the house again and eliminating any tempting chewables that may still be out.
I will watch and poke his poo to see what happens!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sometimes Sadie comes walking in with stuff I have NO idea where she got it from. Don't beat yourself up too bad...I think doodles can twitch their noses and make objects come to them!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I used to work as an ambulance attendant (EMT) so know a little bit about this from dealing with human kids. LOL DO NOT induce vomiting as you might be forcing a sharp end to come up and cut or get lodged somewhere that will cause more damage.

As the others have advised, just watch for any sign of obstruction, bloody stools or pain. If a pup's belly hurts they will do a lot of long body stretching... might whimper or go off their food. If this starts to happen get him in to the vet ASAP.

Otherwise I'd just watch for it to work it's way through on it's own. Most often these things do work their way out in the end. ;) I know of a kid who swallowed a straight pin and passed it without causing any damage... so I hope your Pup will do the same.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so far no plastic in the poop unless I have missed a dump somewhere..... and everything seems to be working normally... who knows?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts