Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went camping this past weekend and took Oliver down to the river for a swim. He stuck one paw in and then retreated. :shock: He tried again a few more times and managed to get 4 paws in but gave me a look like "aw mom this water is wayyyyy to cold' lol. :lol: So, I thought Labradoodles loved the water. :mrgreen: Does anyone esle have doodles that are not so keen on swimming? Did they ever become found of water? How should I go about introducing water to Oliver without freaking him out?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Both of wine love water, but it did take until they were 8 months to go all the way in. its like a switch got flipped and they all of a sudden love to swim. how old is your dood?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oliver is 6 months old. Maybe he just needs to get a bit older. My friends Goldendoodle is 5 Months old and we could not keep her put of the water. :) . Not Ollie though. He's cautious maybe?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao loves the tub but unsure of the river/pond type of water. Beau will get his paws and up part of his legs wet. But doesn't just jump in. But mine are still really young. I don't know if that has something to do with it. Beau is 11months and Cacao is almost 7 months.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Brie just started to LOVE water in the past two weeks and she is 14 months old. She is still cautious for the first few minutes. Manchie on the other hand will swim occasionally but he doesn't really love it. He likes to wade in the water but he's only swam 3-4 times. He is the same age... I think it has to be really hot for him to swim.

Neither of them would swim at 6months though

:)
Sarah

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
last summer we got Dex in our pool - he was ~10-14 mos during that time. It took awhile...my husband carried him in first (and we used a life jacket). He was 10 months when we took him to the beach and he would jump the waves, but not really swim. We also got a small kid pool (one of those $10 plastic ones)...we had to work with him to go in that too, but after 1 week he was jumping in and splashing. We would put Dex in the pool (literally pick him up and put him in) and then give him a treat. After a few times he would go in himself :)

We have work to do with Kirby - I don't know if he'll ever really enjoy the water.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner likes a stream but will walk around the tiniest patch of water on the sidewalk and last summer wouldn't go near a kids pool that we bought.

Here is a picture of last summer...he likes to wade :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver was not sure of the whole water thing
his first season, but that drastically changed the following summer
and he is a full fledged water dog...............

·
Registered
424 Posts
Our Sadie LOVES the water. She would spend hours and hours running into the lake to fetch a stick if she could. Even when it is freezing cold, as in ice still in the lake, she will run right in without flinching. She liked it as a puppy too, but it took her a little bit of practice to perfect her swimming technique.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Mine LOVE the water...

Lucas ( 10 months ), was unsure as a young pup... we would throw a stick to fetch on the waters edge at the lake, and cautious at first, but he enjoyed that... then we took him a bit further, again cautious but got very comfortable with chest deep water... then full fledge swim ( looks very goofy at first)... he loves it, and is now a steller swimmer... he will swim 20-30 feet from the shore line to fetch a stick! He would probably go further, but we are reluctant to put him too far out.

Della (4 1/2 months) was born to be in the water! She was less cautious, can care less about sticks, but can swim like a fish! Water seems to be one of her favorite places to have the ZOOMIES!!!

I think we are gonna look into getting them both life jackets ( like Dex), and see if they would like that even more???

With Oliver, just take it slow, he'll get it! Especially as we head into warmer days... also helps if you get in the water too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Boudica hates the water...here was our last try, at a season ending dog pool party. She seems to be saying, "Can't I please get out now?"

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
mtureck said:
Boudica hates the water...here was our last try, at a season ending dog pool party. She seems to be saying, "Can't I please get out now?"

What a darling picture!!! I would say that one is frame worthy!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson doesn't seem to want to go beyond where his feet touch the ground...
But he hasn't really been exposed to water before we got him and we are going to Ocean City in late July, he's seen the ocean onky once before this and he LOVED running through the shallow part.

G

·
Maya likes the water. When she was a pup I threw her in and she had issues swimming at first but has it down now. I have a baby pool for her too and she jumps in and out of that. She will even "bob" for tennis balls!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG Boudica - that is a hilarous photo!! hehe...she looks so sad...kinda like Kirby when we get him wet :shock:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mtureck said:

What a priceless photo. When Oliver is in the water he does the paw in/paw ou/paw in/paw out motion. Almost like he's trying to tiptoe on top of the water. I wish I had got a photo of him doing that. I bet Ollie would be much the same if put in a pool. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
We adopted our dog when she was 14 months old and she was afraid of the water at first. We definitely didn't want to force her into it because we didn't want to cause her to be scared of water, so we tried to gradually introduce her to it. We started with a plastic baby pool from KMart. On a hot summer day, we played tennis ball fetch with her in the back yard, and after she started getting hot, we threw it into the baby pool filled with water. She stepped right in and got her ball. Eventually, she started splashing in the water with her paws, as though trying to dig at the bottom of the pool. I think her swimming instincts were kicking in and she was wanting to swim. She LOVED splashing around. It was SO CUTE to see her doggy instincts in action.

Next, we tried fetching with her in a shallow creek at a local park. She was a little nervous at first, dipping her paws in, but eventually went right in. We then went to a deeper part of the creek where she has to swim a little during the fetching, and were amazed at how swimming was so easy for her.

The next step was a few weeks later, camping by the lake. We threw her ball out into the lake. She became an instant olympic swimmer. She dove right in and swam after it with such focus and determination, as though she had been training for this moment all her life. We kept fetching and fetching with her, throwing the ball out into the lake and she never wanted to stop. She's a different creature going after that ball in the water; she even squeals going after it. She has such a passion for it. If we would let her fetch all day in the water, she would. Now, whenever we get to go to a lake, she acts as though she is a kid at Disney World. :)

Your dog will likely develop the swimming passion too. I would have never guessed ours would be such an olympic swimmer. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts