Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to crating and only do it for short periods when we leave the house. So far I've never put water in the crate. But as Bailey gets older I think there may be times when he is crated for 4 hours or more if we go out or other things. Do you put a waterbowl in the crate with them or how long would you let them go without water? If you do put a bowl in there, do they tend to knock it over? Or, if they are bored, would then tend to drink more water and they increase the chance of peeing in the crate?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
The Labradoodle book says to put both food & water in the crate. I have never had either in the crate with any of my other dogs.........so I don't think I'll do that this time either.
I can't see how they wouldn't knock it over..........and it would increase their peeing........I don't think 4 hours is too long...........hmmmmmmm.........it'll be interesting to see what others say.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I never put water in his crate when he was younger.
I would tire him out and then give him water and then take him
out to do his business and then crate him for 4 hours.
I tried the water in the crate once but he just knocked it all over the place
you can get the bottles like you use for hamsters to avoid the spillage
but I just found giving him some water before and then he was fine.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
We use the bottles for Tyke - her breeder always did, to keep the puppies from splashing water all over the place. She actually prefers it now, and looks like she's not really sure how to handle water in a bowl if you give it to her! When I have to leave her, I just hang one on the side of her crate.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
lindamarie said:
The Labradoodle book says to put both food & water in the crate. I have never had either in the crate with any of my other dogs.........so I don't think I'll do that this time either.
I can't see how they wouldn't knock it over..........and it would increase their peeing........I don't think 4 hours is too long...........hmmmmmmm.........it'll be interesting to see what others say.
just remember poodle and lab guorge their food typically ,free feeding is a safer way to feed in my opinion food left out all the time,
and fresh water really needs to be available to them at all times espeically puppies

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't mention that I pull the pen's gate out so it's bigger when Rufus uses it for longer periods of time. The picture shows it when we fold a few sections in for when he has freedom to go in and out or we are only keeping him in it a short period of time. We had a crate for him but he outgrew it. I wouldn't even keep him in it but he eats everything he finds if we're not watching and I'm afraid he'll choke on something when I'm not home.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Mary that looks like a great idea! I'm going to work on this!
So....he likes his little bed in the living room and retaliates in his crate. This way, we could put his living room bed in the pen and he'd maybe feel more comfortable?
How big is that pen?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I will look for one of those side attach bottles for the times he may end up in the crate for long periods. I didn't know they existed for dogs. Four hours or under though, I think I will continue to just put him in there with a bone and a toy, without the water, as I have been. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i did as Sue ...and just yesterday i was looking at the hamster vs ferret water bottles wondering myself about them

thanks!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The pen has 8 /2' sections that are 4' high which are all linked to eachother. They were folded flat in the box and the only thing I had to do was attach them at both ends with the clips that were included. The picture I posted showed it with 2 of the 2' sections folded in. I bought it at PetSmart for $89. The water bottle is actually from the rabbit section and only cost about $4 or $6. Rufus doesn't use it as much now since the cold weather, but did use it quite a bit when it was hot. It's funny because he would go in his pen and lick the bottle even when he wasn't confined and he had his bowl of water available. I think it was his way of telling me he wanted his water bowl changed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts