Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this site. I am a 30 year old unmarried guy. I am only considering dogs that shed minimally and that are hypo-allergenic. I have read a lot about goldendoodles as well as labradoodles. Which dog would you say I should get being that I am a young guy? I like to run and would love to have a dog that would go running and such with me. Is a "doodle" an appropriate dog for someone like me?

Thanks!
MJ

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The BEST dog for you!! You won't go wrong Goldendoodle or Labradoodle! They're energetic, loving, energetic, smart, energetic, cute as a button, energetic, love to run and play.....did I say energetic?? :wink: Honestly, you can't go wrong with a doodle!! :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi MJ,

I'm a labradoodle-owner-in-waiting. My puppy is due to come home with me mid-January, so I have some book-smarts, but no experience with doodles. All of the research I've done points to a labradoodle or goldendoodle being a great choice. If you're looking for a dog that is non-shedding, you'll probably want an f1b or a multi-gen.

Also, if you want to take the pup running. Please do a little research on that. I've read that it can be detrimental to the pup's physical development to take it on serious runs before it's 12 or 18 months. I'm a bit sketchy on the data, so I'll see if I can find some links or sources for you that will shed light on this aspect.

I'm new to the forum also! Welcome! You'll find everyone here is friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree...I have been browsing through this site for about 2 weeks now and find that everyone is on here to help others out! You are all passionate about your dog and the labradoodle!!

I do prefer the look of the F1 over the F1B. I would prefer a straighter coat and more Lab looking than poodle.

G

·
Hey MJ:

Did you see the post below about count chocula? He is a little older so a lot of the little puppy stuff is out of the way. I got Maya when she was about 3.5 mos and she was really easy to potty train and I only had to wait 2 weeks from when I got her and then she was fully immunized so I could take her in public (training and dog parks and daycares) without as much worry of her getting sick. They are great dogs and very energetic, love to play and run. In fact they need this exercise or they get a little destructive.

I did ask my vet about running and they said that you need to wait until 18 to 24 mos before you take them running for log periods (like on a 3 mile or longer jog). This is because of hip dysplasia. Before that time they are still growing so they could get hip dysplasia. Since I am a worry wart Maya will not be runnin with me until she is 2!!

Oh and by the way Maya is a combo of both a labradoodle and a goldendoodle so if you can't decide to get one or the other like I couldn't you can get both in one dog!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Where are you located? Tink has some F1's that are straighter coated and about 4 months now. Great looking pups but not ready to run for quite a while.

If you really want to run with your doodle right away you might want to look for a rehome situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am located in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I don't have to run right now, but as the dog gets older. I will not go on long runs either until the dog is matured. Thank you for the info, but the running thing will not steer me away from a LD or GD.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thinking of Tink was a good idea. She's in Wisconsin I think? I wonder if she ships?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to her site and I would love one of her pups! I sent her an email...hopefully she responds and ships!!!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well... I'm young and unmarried and I have two doodles... They fit with my life perfectly - and I am pretty active. Our dogs go everywhere with us :) My daughter is seven and just adores them... and they, her!

Welcome! I really really hope you get one of Tink's puppies!!! I'd been eying them myself wondering if I could swing another pup before Christmas... but then I remembered why I don't do winter puppies!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
hmz819 said:
Hey MJ:
Did you see the post below about count chocula? He is a little older so a lot of the little puppy stuff is out of the way. I got Maya when she was about 3.5 mos and she was really easy to potty train and I only had to wait 2 weeks from when I got her and then she was fully immunized so I could take her in public (training and dog parks and daycares) without as much worry of her getting sick. They are great dogs and very energetic, love to play and run. In fact they need this exercise or they get a little destructive.
Yes, don't forget about Count Chocula. I think he's adorable and would be tempted myself, except that DH is just coming around to having ONE doodle! I hope he finds a good home soon!

Leslie

·
Registered
94 Posts
Elk21 said:
Thank you for the info, but the running thing will not steer me away from a LD or GD.
Hi MJ - Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to steer you away from a GD or LD. My research convinced me that they're wonderful pets. Someone else mentioned that running with a dog when it's too young could increase the chances of hip dysplasia. This was the information that I discovered, too. Anyway, it's not specific to GDs or LDs. I think it's true for any of the dogs that are prone to HD.

Anyway, it sounds like you're committed to being an excellent dog owner. I'm sure you'll do all the right things for your puppy!

:) :)

PS. My husband's family lives in North Olmsted, Ohio - not too far from you. We're headed that way for the holidays! Hope the weather is nice.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Small world... all these Ohio people :) I lived a few years in Westlake!

G

·
I think we can all forget about the weather being nice in Ohio for Christmas...unless that is you like freezing cold and possibly sleety snow. Ah I can't wait to go back can you tell? We will be in Middleburg Hts and Hinkley for Christmas.

G

·
Yup. Luckily Maya is great in the car and sleeps the whole entire way. No joke. However that makes for one rambunctious puppy when we get there. I would not be without my baby during the holidays. Although my other baby Morgan will be staying here. She hates the car.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I hope you have some Snow for Maya to play in !

Annabelle also sleeps in the car when we travel, once we are on the road for about 10 minutes and she realizes we are Not going shopping, she lays down and sleeps, once in a while she'll pop her head up and look but sleeps 95% of the way.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts