Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice on what I should expect when walking Charlie (our 14 week old doodle) on a leash. We have both the retractable kind and the standard leash. We used treats to get him going, but tend to pull him along (that is what it feels like to me) until we can get him away from the house. After that, he is fine with the walk. Then, there are times when we are getting closer to home when he wants to really pick up speed. Plus, there is lots of sniffing around (which I would think is normal) but causes my husband and I to get tangled up with the leash if we are both going for a walk with the pup. Sorry this is long, but I'm looking for some guidance with the whole leash training thing. Thanks!

G

·
Hi Jenny!
I use the retractable leash on walks in the woods. I use a 6 foot regular leash on walks around the block. The walks around the block are to give Bella exercise to use up her energy, so I do not let her stop and sniff every 2 minutes. I make sure she goes before we leave the yard and then we just walk. I don't let her pull. When we walk through the woods I let her run and sniff as much as she wants. She seems to understand the difference in the walks. I try to do one of each every day. I also used the Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness for Bella. It worked wonders (until she chewed through it! ) I am waiting for the replacement, but she actually is doing very well with her regular collar and leash now. Maybe the harness helped alot. It not only stops pulling, but helps in getting them to walk next to you and follow YOUR lead.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I cna't believe I'm reading this. I have the same problem with Calvin. He, for some reason, needs to be practically carried to some imaginary line past the driveway, and then he will walk o.k......As soon as we turn around to come home he practically drags me back. I am waiting for my gentle leader to arrive in the mail, hopefully Monday. I have heard and read good things about it,so I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes....Keep pluggin away, it will get better, I'm told..Leslie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts