Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about walking our two doodles at the same time.
I would like to walk Toby (6 mo) and Lani (9 mo) at the same time. First has anyone used the adapter that allows you to use one leash to walk 2 dogs? Is this a good way to walk them or should they have their own leash? Second, how do you handle the whole heel thing? Do you keep them at your left side or out front of you? Walking them seperately takes too long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Lisa! I have a coupler and personally, I hate it. I have always walked one dog on each side, and when I put them on the coupler, they still try to walk on either side of me. Then I get all tangled! I walk my dogs alone on the left, but when together, I use the command "other side" to one dog to switch sides. I don't let them walk in front because with my two, if I give them too much space, they will try to wrestle! I would start out slow, bring treats :) and keep it short and positive.

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used that coupler thing before and i hate it too, i think it makes it much more difficult to walk.

I just have one dog on either side of me, or both dogs on the same side. When im walking three or four dogs at once, I let one lead in front, and the others are behind, side by side, with me in front,they never pull. I dont get tangled that way. Someone saw me walking my dogs like this once and said it reminded them of a sled dog team...lol.

Most important in walking two dogs though is having them both trained to not pull and listen on the lead. Otherwise no matter what you try you might get tangled up in leads.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for the input. I am afraid of getting tangled up in the leads and GOING DOWN! They are pretty good alone about not pulling, Toby is much better and has been since we got him. Lani needs reminding but still isn't bad. We do use the prong collars without it Lani is not easy to walk at all, she hurts my back pulling. I will give it a try this week since the weather is suppose to be beautiful! :)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey Lisa this is a good question....I really like a coupler (12" each end) for our girls, but I have to say that we have 3-4yr olds we're walking on it....could that be the difference from all of you guys with your puppies? :wink: I would not try to walk a dog who was still learning about heeling, for all the reasons everyone has mentioned.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I use a coupler, Lisa, and I like it. (I even have one for 3 dogs at a time.) I use it mostly when I have to take them someplace, not on walks...often when they are on their own leash, they wrap around my legs (I have them well trained :? ) but with a coupler, they have to stay together. I like that.
On a walk, it could be bad if you encounter a dog wanting to attack...your dogs would be very limited in their ability to defend themselves...I don't like to think of that, but I do consider it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jac, I would have never thought about another dog attacking and how the coupler would limit their ability defend themselves. About a year ago KC and I were attacked by two dogs while we were walking an it was hard to move away. Luckily the dogs were called off and we got away with out being hurt. Maybe I'll try the coupler on short walks and see how it goes, and then try 2 leads and see which works better.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Let me know what you think...I personally can't take all of my dogs out at once anyway, so I leave the walking to my dog walker and/or my DH!

I am so terrified about the possibility of dog attacks...I think I would be dead...I'd join in to try to fight for my dogs...and I am sooooo clueless, but my instincts would be to protect them!

I have told my dog walker that if they are ever in a fight, try to release them from the leash...I would want them to be able to fight and/or run away, whatever their instincts would be...without the leash tangling up and trapping them. UGH! What a thought!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts