Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of talk on this forum about making sure you walk your dog enough. What is considered a normal amount of walking per day? Dexter is just over 5 months old and I take him for 2 walks a day of about a mile each (I am estimating the distance...I keep meaning to clock it). I guess it takes us ~20 minutes to do each walk (with bathroom time and him redirecting him when he gets distracted) :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Let your dog set the pace, especially at first. Your current pace and distance sounds good.
Often they are excited to go and they don't know they have to come back...and they get tired!
Also keep in mind that weather changes will make a difference...hot pavement on their pads can be really painful in the summer...ice, snow and salt on winter roads too.
Check the foot pads regularly and the nails too. Sometimes nails can become impacted and bleed.
Finally, keep in mind that jogging is out...until your pup is at least 18 months old...so keep the pace reasonable, the length of the walk short at first and protect foot pads...and your dog will love the exercise!
(Also be prpared for aggressive dogs off leash...it happens!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts