Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy, Riley is 9 weeks old and she is really starting to pull hard on the leash when we go outside. I'm afraid she is going to hurt her throat! Does anyone have any secrets on how to train her to walk on a leash?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi! Congrats on your new baby!! We had the same "pulling" problem with our Abbie (she is 18 months now) when we started to walk her on a leash. We started with the harness - just because I am paranoid of them slipping out of a collar. Well, Abbie seemed to be walking us instead of us walking her....the pulling was out of control!! We finally broke down and started using one of those awful looking prong collars.- and boy did it do the trick!!! The collars looks terrible, but we were assured by her trainer that they do not hurt them.....I even tried it on my arm to be sure! I highly recommend using them (only for training), but one must know how to use them correctly. They are strictly for training. Trust me, dogs are like people to me, so I would never use anything that could hurt them....they work!! Good luck!!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I absolutely agree with using a prong collar. I also agree that they look awful! But they are not. The idea behind them is that when your puppy pulls ahead, the colar tightens and it is not painful but more like their mama's quick nip on the neck to tell them to stop it.
It is a great training tool. They come in plastic too, for animals who are too timid for the full metal prong collar.
There are other methods too, but I found that using the prong collar works magic for us. We tried changing directions, stopping, Gentle Leaders, treats, commands, but nothing worked until we used the collar to enforce the commands. It works for all types of training.
Our dogs now come right to us when we say, "Let's get dressed!" Which means to put on the prong collar...they come and sit in front of us and wait for the collar to be placed. We still reinforce with praise and treats, but you should never give a command unless you can back it up...the prong collar lets you do that.
There is a special fit to them, so be sure you learn how to properly fit them, they are not worn like choke chains.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm all for the prong collar. Chester hears the jingle and comes running because he knows its time to walk. If he was a puller I wouldn't be able to handle him. They do look scary but they don't hurt them...watch dogs playing together and see how rough they play. The prong collar is nothing compare! I think there is more of a choking concern with a regular collar than the prongs.
The praise thing is really the key too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just love the prong coller too! I have 4 large dogs and i can take them all for a walk at the same time when im using the prong coller. Its amazing, cause if i didnt have one, i would only be able to take two at a time.
It is just important to use it properly. But it works wonders!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a prong collar on my last dog. It was wonderful. I was so scared to put in on him but the trainer showed me how to use it and the dog did not mind it at all. When he heard his collar he knew it was walking time.

Our puppy, Biscuit, is also 9 weeks old. He's quite a puller. Last night, I decided to give him a quick correction with his puppy collar. By the end of our walk he was walking by my side. They learn so fast. I was scared I would hurt him with a correction but he was fine. I think he is starting to realize that I am the boss.

What ever works.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was one of those people who confused the two. I have never used one, but I have heard good things about the gentle lead. We swear by the prong collar.....and trust me, if I use it, it's ok. I have been known to be "slightly" neurotic when it comes to my dogs!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I can vouch for Susie's comment! I think that, next to me, she has to be the most protective "doodle mom" around! LOL (That's a compliment, by the way! :wink: )
Our experience with the Gentle Leader was that it took a long time for our dogs to adjust to the "feel" of them. They were always concentrating on the device, not the commands.
With the prong collar, there was no transition. It worked immediately and worked well.
We are able to take all 4 dogs out for a walk at once too...all because of these collars.
Jamie, I would be very surprised if you don't have prong collars in the UK, but if not, you can probably order one on the internet. I see them everywhere!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes Jac, I wear your comment as a badge of honor....I am the MOST neurotic, protective Doodle Mother.....Poor Abbie!! :lol: It is safe to say that if I use the prong collar on Abbie, it is ok! And, it worked immediately!! She was amazing with it! Never once pulled, etc.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree. I have had to put both my pups (6 months, now!) on prong collars. My old dog Bailey used to come running when he heard his collar taken down. He loved it and the doodles are starting to get the hang of sitting still while I put them on. They're a little tricky at first, so I recommend getting someone who knows to show you how to put it on. They are awkward to get onto a wiggling pup, but well worth it. And in my experience the collar gets sort of easier to manage, the links start out really tight and loosen a little over time. My guys still pull a little, but usually it's because I haven't gotten it positioned just right.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I go to class a lot it's like my night out so to speak :lol: anyway for such a young pup I'll try and explain this the best I can

With a regular leash and collar start out and tell the pup Riley Heal start walking if she starts pulling one way or the other gentle jerk her back into position and tell her good heal riley good heal all positive have treats ready stop often tell her to sit and give her a treat. When walking change directions and if she wants to go one way go the other she will pick it up in a couple of sessions with treats. Also remember that there are times when walking that it is okay to let them be dogs let them smell and sniff a little in the beginning before you get the serious walk going. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
we had little success with the gentle leader. in fact, our trainer said the gentle leader does make it physically impossible for them to pull but when you take it off, the pulling will continue. we use a pinch collar (prong) and it does work for us. we get chastised at petsmart bc they are definitely supporters of the gentle leader, but chloe doesn't seem to mind. also, we keep it on her at all times bc our trainer said if you take it off when the leash is off then she will learn to only have to behave when the collar is on. harnesses also are not great bc they actually make the dogs stronger.

·
Registered
689 Posts
We worked with Chester on a "go sniff" command. At points in our walks he has to be by us and be a good boy, then we give him permission to "go sniff" which he does happily, then we have him come back and start walking again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a prong collar that I used with my old dog Ollie, Loved it, would not have been able to walk him without it!

Q: When is a good time to start them on the prong collar. Sawyer pulls on the leash hard when we walk so it sounds like he is going to burst his trachea! He is only 4 months old and I was not sure if it is safe yet.

·
Registered
197 Posts
wow, i ve never seen these prong collars. I did change recently to a haltie, and have had good result. I have stopped using it and luckily my dog remembers the lesson and doesnt pull. But he despiced it, and would rub his head on my leg while walking. I must try to find one of these.
Thanks guys.
tm

·
Registered
377 Posts
OKAY..... Where do I get the prong collar?? We have tried the gentle leader and the halti collar- he's simply not interested- there went a bird! I gotta have some help here. :oops:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts