Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to have Canada in the house with this upcoming litter. I have a large kitchen and am thinking I'd use a wading pool as I see several others of you using them for your dams. My question is, how big a pool works best? Canada is a big lab (82 lbs when not preggo) and has big litters (13 last time)
I'd like to be able to keep her and them comfy in it till they're about 3 weeks old. So what would you all suggest?

The space I have available for it is close to 10' wide and longer than that... so space isn't an issue, but I want her to be comfortable and the pups safe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I use the LARGE wading pools surrounded by the tall expen,
its 4ft round, thats allyou need for a large dog
towels for whelping ,
and i have green rugs i bought made specifically for pups so the pee goes thru to the paper, i change them once or twice per day, i need to order more so i need to find the link for the rugs
works well

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Me, too! Nancy....your experience is invaluable to those of us just getting organized and doing testing,etc. to get started breeding.
the pool that is 4 ft. in diameter is plenty bif for three weeks in with growing puppies? I hope so.Some tie on those foam tube floats as pig rails.....where did you get the rugs??? I would like the link, if you can findi it.
I am going to toys r us tomorrow and see if they have any in yet.

thank you, ma'am!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
found it,,i get them at kvvet.com
look under whelping supplies, i get the large one and cut in half
this give you one to use and one as back for when you have to wash it, (i wash it every day)

I use a puppy playpen, after they are 3 to 4weeks old, this has a grate in the botton of it,,i put half rug down in front and that gets them pooping over the back ,, (moms can go in its strong enough to hold them too)
i get those at www.petedge.com or www.jefferspet.com i get the 4x4 size (largest) this prevents them from walking in the poop and keeps them cleaner and less chance of reinfesting themselves with worms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts