Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my labradoodle, Sofie, this Tuesday. In the future I would be interested in possibly volunteering some of her time in some capacity. Has anyone heard of doing this? I wouldnt know where to start. Knowing of the labradoodles intelligence and demeanor, I think it would be great for her to be involved in something that could bring happiness to others and good for Sofies social life :D
Mike
P.S.- I've been dealing with Virgil Cox from outwest doodles in Kansas www.outwestdoodles.com. He's been great and most helpfull. He kept me updated with progress and photos, even when I didn't ask for them.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think that would be a great thing for you and your doodle. Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new addition. Here is a website that may help you in what you are trying to do. I have heard of quite a few people doing this with their doodles.

http://www.tdi-dog.org/whatdo.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Mike,

I read your post and I am also working on getting my Labradoodle, Sawyer involved in a service roll. I live in South Florida and there are so many Seniors that live alone and would love the company of a lovable doodle. Of course, we have got to get through obedience training and the rambuctious puppy phase!

There is the study done recently that shows how heart patients were benefitted by visits with dogs even more than from people. Isn't that amazing? Although it is not a huge surprise to those of us that have experienced the comfort of our best furry friends.

Thanks for the excellent link Shannon. I think it is a wonderful way to socialize your dog and let someone else share in the pleasure of hanging out with your dood! Besides, doodles always make people smile :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing the link about therapy dogs. The photos on that site brought a tear to my eye, especially the one with the child. I would love to get Sadie certified as a therapy dog. She always brings a smile with her lovable face. She loves to be petted and people love to pet her because her coat is so silky soft. What a great thing to do with your dog.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you much for the great website and the advice. I have beginning puppy school already set up for Sofie. We have alot of work to do before taking on a venture like that. I want to train with her alot this first year and I think she will become a great condidate for a program like this. Thanks again everyone!
Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mike,

What a great idea. I have thought about that as well. I have Sofie's brother, Bruno. He has been with us for almost a week. He is the greatest. Very mello and only had 2 rough nights in his crate.

Wish you the best with Sofie.
Julie - Phoenix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts