Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we asked our vet about neutering and he said that he doesn't do it unless there are behavioral problems or medical reasons.
everywhere else is saying that your dog should be neutered-we're confused.
this is quite a contraversial vet though,he wouldn't start vaccinations until 12 weeks and only does the parvo at almost 5 months.
anyone whose dogs have been or haven't been neutered-what are the advantages of both-which is best?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've heard actually that waiting on the vaccines is a good idea...anything beore 8 weeks is useless :?:
As far as the neutering...I'd be afraid that leg lifting or other bad habits would be harder to correct once they started. Supposedly if males are fixed young, they never lift their leg and humping isn't a problem. I don't know though, I have a female. I think if I had a male, I wouldn't chance it and see if anything developed. I'd want to nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Short and simple......find a new vet! :wink: Besides the neutering issue.....parvo is deadly for puppies, so unless you live in a bubble.......
Good luck in whatever choices you make. Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new family member!! :lol:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
gene said:
Short and simple......find a new vet! :wink: Besides the neutering issue.....parvo is deadly for puppies, so unless you live in a bubble.......
Good luck in whatever choices you make. Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new family member!! :lol:
DITTO

and in addition to that - there are too many Unwanted dogs out there, what happens when your dog escapes and gets the neighbors dog pregnant, more Unwanted puppies.

I think the only reason to NOT neuter/spay a dog is if you plan on breeding responsibly JMHO

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm with Gene and Mary on this one - no wonder that vet is "controversial"!! I have never heard a vet tell someone NOT to neuter -and not vaccinating puppies against parvo just seems irresponsible to me.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, my gosh! How ancient is your vet???? (Does he have cobwebs hanging off his scalpel???)
Neutering your pup will keep him safe from unneutered dogs who want to fight with him...will keep him from wanting to find a female in heat...will prevent any unwanted litters...will prevent various forms of cancer...I am sorry...but I'd find a new vet ASAP!
That advice is soooooooo outdated that I would worry about any other treatment or advice this vet would give!
http://www.puppys-place.com/neutering_y ... puppy.html

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I too would find another vet

i had Max neutered at 7.5mos old, peanut spayed at 6mos old
and Jac gave some great advice/pro's cons too

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi -
I noticed that you are from England. Is there a different Standard of Care in England?

There are far too many unwanted pets put to sleep every year to believe that it's ok to not neuter or spay your pet.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Looks like we all favor a new vet!!
For one thing, if you're not planning on breeding the dog.........males can be in for testicular cancer. I bred my Bouvier and never neutered him. He had this cancer.
Our vet uses this as a prime example of why a dog should be neutered aside from all other things mentioned here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
has anyone ever had a healthy obedient un neutered dog?
Also it would be difficult to change vets because he is a friend of my mums-he would do it if the dog displayed unwanted behaviour or medical problems. however when he was out today he tried to mount a friends dog-is this a sign of worse to come?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Neutering is required by law here in Albuquerque. But of course laws are considered mere "suggestions" in most of New Mexico and the dog pounds are bursting at the seams and euthanizing hundreds of homeless stray animals each day.

We had Ozzie neutered at 5 months. The only un-neutered dog I've ever owned was my alpha male Siberian Husky many decades ago. He never had any behavioral problems but was more confident than the neutered male huskies. He eventually had to be neutered in his advanced years due to medical complications.

BTW... My ex-wife once tried to have ME neutered to stop MY behavioral problems, but thankfully she was unsuccessful.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
BTW... My ex-wife once tried to have ME neutered to stop MY behavioral problems, but thankfully she was unsuccessful.
Ok I will jump on this one.............

interesting comment to make to forum with a lot of women
who are now probably wondering just what kind of behavior
was the ex trying to stop..............
bahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well you must be glad she didn't succeed :shock:
theres no such laws here. we originally switched vets because the last one was nasty to me on work experience :lol:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I am just wondering what your vet's reasons
are for not neutering and for the delay in
giving parvo vaccinations?

Can you, at least, get a second opinion from another vet?
I don't think I would stay with a vet,
no matter who recommended him/her,
if I didn't agree with the philosophy, or method, of treatment, etc.

If I were you, I would really look into the reasoning on
both sides of these two issues and decide what makes
the most sense....if that means changing vets, then you must.
I urge you to go ahead and neuter if this isn't a breeding dog.

Parvo is so horrific, for young pups, especially....
Please get your pup vaccinated.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I know you are in a tough situation w/your vet being a family friend, but again I totally agree with the others. An unneutered male not only has an increased chance of cancer, but many dog parks, etc require that the dogs be fixed. You would be limiiting the experiences your dog could have. In addition you pose a greater risk he will run off (he he senses a female in heat). Please consider getting another opinion.

Kirby wasn't neutered (at 1 yr 1 month) when we got him...there has definitely been a change in his behavior since we got him fixed. In addition, his humping of other dogs has almost totally stopped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts