Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what all of you dog owners have experienced when visiting a vet for an issue and then going back for a follow up? Lucca recently has a yeast infection in one of her ears. We went to the vet and they took a sample of ear wax, cleaned her ears, and then issued a sauve to use for ten days. Total bill on this was $125.00 ...and we were instructed to come back in ten days to see if this cleared up. So.....ten days later we went back in and although better we have to keep using the sauve and come back in seven days.

I thought the follow up visit was going to be FREE.....but, instead it cost $22.00 ..and will cost another $22 when we return in seven more days.

Has anyone had a similar situation? I am just shocked at how much they charge!

I would also like to know what happened regarding your dog's yeast infection in the ear and how long it took to go away...and if it is reoccuring.

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
WOW! I have taken my pets, (cats), in for ear mites before. The vet did not take a sample of wax, but she cleaned her ears and gave me a cream to put in for 10 days as well. I did not need a follow up visit, she just told me to return if I didn't think they looked better and she would give a shot. Anyway, this was during our visit for distemper shot and my bill was only $44.00......I can't imagine what difference the dog vs/ cat would be but I can't imagine it being $100.00 difference....Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Tina...that is the way it is here too. It was very expensive for the testing and the initial treatment.
When my dogs have had yeast ear infections, the follow up visit is not free and neither is the testing nor the treatment if necessary.
I called several vets in the area and they all do the same thing...charge for the follow up visits.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota had a yeast infection and the cost was about $75.00. According to the itemized bill, the cost was largely due to the vet walking in the back room for 20 seconds to look at the wax sample under a microscope! :roll: In addition to a salve, the vet also gave Dakota a fast acting anti-biotic shot which I believe cleared his infection up in a day or two. We were not asked to come back in, but I'm sure he would have charged for a follow-up visit.
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I was upset also when Trystan was in the utah vet because they said I am sure its a yeast infection and then they said but I will look anyway and then charged me for the look at the slide. It was his 3rd one in a short time and the vet said it was allergies (which he doesnt have any) in my opinion I just wasnt consistent enough with the tube of stuff and never got it completely away.

with all that being said the utah vet gave me .......

ok I jut looked everywhere and cant find it - we just moved to Illinois!!

anyhow it did not come in a tube, more like a squeeze bottle and it worked great.

if I would have known about the shot I would probably have gone that route but the other worked real well and its been several months and it hasnt come back.

oh him and the lab get an infection sometimes if they are in the pond to much... I use a liquid ear cleanser to prevent that I apply it after they swim!

·
Registered
128 Posts
could you do this??????

If the salve for a yeast infection is applied to the inside of the ear flap and not something that is poured into the ear canal........then..........could you put Monistat cream there instead? :oops: Seems logical and saves $$$. I think you should always be sure about what you're dealing with but if it cleared up would it work? I don't think it would hurt.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We got both, the ear treatment and the shot...and it cleared right up.

I wouldn't use Monostat...dog's ears are so intricate...and their ear canal is so deep, I would hate to use a product that might build up...and the dog ear cleaner is pretty good...

From what I understand, yeast infection in the ear can be caused by a food allergy...I don't really understand it all...but I know that our dogs with their floppy ears have problems because they don't dry out.

I think I would use the products made specifically for dog's ears...I know that you can mix vinegar (the main ingredient in the dog products, I think) and alcohol, but alcohol would sting if there is an open sore, even a small one...so would vinegar. I prefer to stay with the stuff made for this purpose....just my opinion. Any medical folks or vet techs out there??? What do you think???

·
Registered
279 Posts
A water vinegar solution (1tbsp vinegar to 1 c. distilled water) should be applied after swimming for a dog who is prone to yeast infections. The ph of the vinegar makes the ear canal less conducive to yeast. My doods don't get to swim much, but they get their ears powdered with a standard pet store "ear powder" as a preventative and it helps enormously (also makes their ears smell good). But once the infection is going, the powder just makes it worse.

I've actually had great luck with Lotrimin drops (for athlete's foot) if the infection is not severe. You just drop about 4-5 drops into the ear canal and massage the outside of the ear canal. You can hear it squishing around in there and the doods love the massage. Do it a couple of times a day for a few days and watch very carefully. If it isn't improving dramatically after 2 days, I would go to the vet.

Important note: Do not do this unless you are very VERY sure the infectin is yeast. Lots of dog ear infections are not yeast at all, but bacterial, for which you need an antibiotic. Ear infections can lead to hearing loss and scarring and toughening of the cartilage in the external ear. Plus they hurt like crazy. So go the vet if you're not absolutely sure it's yeast.

Yeast infections have a characteristic "yeasty" smell that is a pretty clear indication that it's yeast, but until you've experienced it a few times you can't know for sure. I am not a vet, or a vet tech. But I had a dog who had yeast all the time for 10 years, unless I was religious about the powdering and the post swim vinegar rinse. He was just "prone" to them, as were both his parents and all his littermates, so we learned to manage it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Great advice, Lisa! Thanks...

And...well, I re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean that you can mix vinegar and alcohol! Sheesh...sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain! I meant that you can mix vinegar and WATER OR alcohol and WATNER....sorry. :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts