Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Kim26, I just awoke to the fact that you are local. Where are you taking your vet assistant training? I'm somewhat interested in that. Is it mostly office management and billing procedures, or are you getting some heavy duty medical training? What's the math requirement?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'll answer both Sue's and your question here.

I'm taking the course through ROP (Regional Occupational Program) funded by the county so it's free to us (we meet at San Pasqual High School). I'm taking Vet I and II at the same time so I can be done in June instead of taking a whole year to finish . You get a certificate at the end, but, you also have to have 80 hours of volunteer work per class. Each class is 3 hours long, on Monday and Wednesday, and occassionally we have a field trip on Friday. So, I go from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on M & W. I've started doing my volunteer time at the Humane Society and hope to transfer to an animal hospital once I get more experience. The animal hospital's like you to know quite a bit before they let you volunteer.

It is more of a medical course and teaches a little of everything. Anatomy, physiology, restraint, injections, saftey procedures, reproduction, pharmacology, surgery prep., diseases, anesthesia, radiology, etc. The math is pretty minimal. It's tailored to be really easy. It's more like High School than College. There is a separate class for office procedures in Lakeside so these classes don't really get into that.

Sue - I chose this route because it is convenient for me right now (close to home and I can get my feet wet and see if I like it rather than taking a longer educational route). There is a Registered Vet Technician course at Mesa Community College in San Diego and it takes four years to get through it (it's a two year program, but, you have to get your general education requirements done first). The graduates have to take a State Board to get registered. There is also a private technical school that has a Vet Tech. program but they are pretty pricey. You might ask some vet's in your area if they know of any courses that you could take. They seem to be hard to find.

I hope I answered your questions. Feel free to ask more.

BTW, Sue, I didn't get a pm from you.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Kim
Thank you so much for the information, I truly appreciate your input :lol: :lol:
Maybe we should talk to the moderator or someone as I do not understand why we cannot pm each other :cry:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KIM i am sooooooooo proud of you....keep up the great work!!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Kim and Sue, I will check into the problem you are having with PM'ing. Sorry you are having a problem, I will notify Mark immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts