Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We took Spike to the Pet ER yesterday after a sudden onset of unsteadiness/dizziness/falling to the side and nystagmus of his eyes. It was very scary and disturbing to see, lasted less than a minute and happened 3 times at home and 2 times in the ER. He never vomited but was obviously disoriented and needed lots of cuddles and reassurance.
After blood work and exam which were normal, the Vet said it is probably Vestibular syndrome/disease. There are a few causes but she started treatment for the easiest to treat...Inner ear infection. She couldn't see far into his ears due to hair and cannot see the inner ear anyway.
He is has antibiotics and Meclizine for the dizziness. He has had a several episodes today worsening this evening before the meds were due again.
He is eating well and has played and walked on the leash this morning.

I am planning on taking him to my own vet tomorrow because i am TERRIFIED this is something more sinister.
I slept downstairs with him last night and plan to again tonight because he needs me. I am so very worried for him.
Apparently everything i have read says this can last up to 2 weeks if it is an infection or inflammation. It can also affect older dogs for no reason other than age. Spike is 9 so he doesn't really fit into older dog age yet.

If he doesn't improve with the antibiotics, he will need a brain scan to rule out a tumor.

He has had ear infections in the past but never these symptoms.

Has anyone had ANY experience of Vestibular issues with their dog ?

Thank you for any insight!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

We took Spike to the Pet ER yesterday after a sudden onset of unsteadiness/dizziness/falling to the side and nystagmus of his eyes. It was very scary and disturbing to see, lasted less than a minute and happened 3 times at home and 2 times in the ER. He never vomited but was obviously disoriented and needed lots of cuddles and reassurance.
After blood work and exam which were normal, the Vet said it is probably Vestibular syndrome/disease. There are a few causes but she started treatment for the easiest to treat...Inner ear infection. She couldn't see far into his ears due to hair and cannot see the inner ear anyway.
He is has antibiotics and Meclizine for the dizziness. He has had a several episodes today worsening this evening before the meds were due again.
He is eating well and has played and walked on the leash this morning.

I am planning on taking him to my own vet tomorrow because i am TERRIFIED this is something more sinister.
I slept downstairs with him last night and plan to again tonight because he needs me. I am so very worried for him.
Apparently everything i have read says this can last up to 2 weeks if it is an infection or inflammation. It can also affect older dogs for no reason other than age. Spike is 9 so he doesn't really fit into older dog age yet.

If he doesn't improve with the antibiotics, he will need a brain scan to rule out a tumor.

He has had ear infections in the past but never these symptoms.

Has anyone had ANY experience of Vestibular issues with their dog ?

Thank you for any insight!
I know this was two years ago..just saw in my research. My ALD is 1 1/2 years. Diagnosed inner ear infection/ruptured ear drum and vestibular disease. It's been 3 days...today he almost seems worse. Like he can't see. Am I being impatient? How long until your doodle was better? Appreciate any info you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts