Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I really need peoples assistance. Little Scout (4 months) has just all of a sudden (in the last week) begun to wake up and whine/scratch/cry at ever earlier moments in the morning.

Since we got her, she tended to wake up slightly before 6am. This isn't really a problem, because if i am going to walk her in the morning it has to be at about this time, so it works out pretty well. But lately its getting earlier and earlier. On Monday it was 5am, tuesday 1.50am, wednesday 2.30am and last night 3.00am. And she is properly awake too. running around like you would't believe.

She sleeps in the laundry, she is a bit big for the crate now so the crate is open and the laundry shut. We've tried giving her access to the dog door so she can take herself out if she needs to go, but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get her to sleep through the night like she used to?

I tried to keep her up longer than usual last night but it still didn't work. I'm okay with it, i can get back to sleep easily and with a crying puppy in the background, but my partner is getting very frustrated indeed.

I am in dire need of help.

One other quick question, we do have an insulated dog kennel left over from the last owners of our house, winter is coming in Aust where it gets to about -5 degrees C (22F). Is this too cold for her to sleep outside in winter?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Spenno,

I know this is going to be hard on your partner, but ignore her. If she's been able to get your attention she'll keep it up. Good attention or bad, she doesn't care.

Try getting something that makes "white noise" to keep your partner from hearing her. Static from a radio or TV will do the trick. The first time will be the hardest on Scout, but I'm guessing within a couple of days she'll get the hint.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Yup - if she is not having to go potty I wuld ignore the whining or she will keep it up, knowing she gets your attention

I personally would never have a dog sleep outside but it prob would be a good idea to have the house outthere in case she does go out the doggie door and cant figure out how to come back in it

But - if she is outside she will probable wake up out there also and there is the possibility of her barking outside to get your attention, so really it's best if you can ignore it and see if she goes back to sleep

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tough love time... just gotta ignore it until she realises that you decide when it is time to wake up I guess...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
IF your doodle doesn't get attention usually the behavior stops

and yes it can take awhile as every dog is different.

the only dogs i'd let sleep outside are huskies and alaskan malamutes as they love that or up north here they do and are made for it.

can you crate your doodle and put a blanket or towel over it?
Beau tried doing the same thing barking like a madman at 5:30 to 6am

we took water up earlier than usual, made sure he eats by 6pm and no later and he got the hint ...we will get up at 6:30am and not before.

he goes to bed around 10 to 10:30pm...took a week and he adjusted to OUR schedule.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Please dont make your dog sleep outside, even it was 52 degres F. Doodles were not made for extreme weather, they were bred for nonshedding hypoallergenic service dogs. Most service dogs are inside dogs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could you have Little Scout sleep in the same room with you instead of in the laundry? She might do better if she's near you. Also, be sure to take her outside to potty before you go to bed at night.

I wouldn't have her sleep outside in any weather. Doodles seem to be very much "people" dogs and do much better inside with their family.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would get a bigger crate and put her in it with a blanket covering most of it, turn off the light and shut the door. If she cries in the middle of the night, get up and take her out (just in case), don't even look at her, just put her right back in the crate and go back to bed.

Earplugs for your partner. It's basically the doggy version of CIO (crying it out).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is she getting walked enough so she doesn't have so much pent up energy? My husband takes Rosie out at 10:30 for a walk. He crates her around 11-11:30 and she is quiet until I get up at 5. Usually she is knocked out in the spread eagle doodle sleep pose when I get up in the morning.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi,
I just want to check a couple of things.
Little Scout is 4 months old. How long has he been sleeping thought the night?
Has anything in his diet changed?
Is he still getting the same amount or more exercise during the day?

If these things are all ok then you probably have a puppy who has figured out how to get more playtime.

Let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you don't want to crate Scout you can tether her to your bed so she doesn't roam. That's how we trained all of our dogs. If Chouette bounces up for some reason I just tell her to lie down. Not that she does that at this point, but you have a lot more control if you're right there. You can also try handing Scout a chew toy to keep her busy, but she may not fuss if she's that close to you.

And don't worry, this too shall pass!

Leslie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts