Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as most of you may know, I was planning on moving into a house within the next few months. I just received a call from my new boss in Atlanta wanting to know if I would be willing to move to be closer to him. This would be a great career move as well as a much needed personal change. The only downfall is that I don't think I will be able to keep 2 large dogs.

I know that some will probably look down on me A) for jumping at an opportunity to get a breed that I had never researched and B) for not sticking it through the "terror" years.

I turn to you all because I know that if I could find a great, loving home for Chloe, it will be here. She is an extremely active dog and I feel guilty for keeping her cooped up in an apartment her whole life. I myself am not an active person. I just think that Chloe deserves so much more out of life than what I am willing to provide her. I used to wonder how in the world people can give up their pets and I never would be able to give her to a stranger, etc. But to be honest, you guys feel like friends to me. Everyone has been so helpful and friendly here and I look forward to reading new posts everyday. My heart is heavy right now but I can't keep being selfish and I need to consider the reality of the situation.

So, with all of that being said, I am just going to throw this out there and see if any of you would be willing to provide a loving home to my Chloe bug. I live in Mississippi. Please do not look down on me because of my decision. She is extrememly intelligent, very loving and most of all, a good friend. She was recently spayed and is housebroken (except for a few accidents when I am not paying attention).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
already have a 95 pound Chase and a growing 52 pound Chloe but now I want a Yorkie puppy! I originally wanted a Yorkie before getting Chloe but my "ex-turned-best-friend" said "what if I get you a labradoodle"? So along came Chloe. Am I crazy to even consider another dog? Those of you with 3, is it a competition for your attention?

My mom and coworkers all think I am nuts but I knew that I could turn to you guys for an honest opinion Smile Laughing Smile

I think you need to really think about why you want to exchange Chloe for a Yorkie puppy. Maybe one thing at a time. I know you want to do the best for Chloe and I think that should take priority. As to whether you should get a Yorkie, maybe taking a sabatical from getting another dog and taking some time to get settled in your new place would be wise.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually posted that before I heard about this new job offer so I would not be getting another dog at all. I am so sad right now but I just keep thinking that I have tried and tried to accustom Chloe to my lifestyle and we just don't really "mesh" if that makes any sense. :(

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That absolutely makes sense.

When I was single, I adopted a Kerry Blue Terrier, "Sadie Sue Fur Person", probably between 3-5 years old. It was a great choice and worked very well.

I then purchased a Bichon Friche probably 1 yr old to keep Sadie company. That was a disaster. The little Bichon needed someone to be home with it all the time. It was the sweetest dog but the two didn't bond. My Kerry was happy with the amount of time I could give her. the Bichon needed more...I advertised in the paper and a Dr. and his wife responded. They were retiring and had recently lost their aged dog. It was a perfect match. The little Bichon got to travel with them in their motorhome, go on their houseboat at Lake Powell be with then all day everyday.

Only you know what is best for you and Chloe.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

G

·
Autumn,
I would jump at the chance to relo to Atlanta and improve your career opportunities. But I would also make sure my dog could go with me. Since Chloe is not meshing well with your hours worked, you probably would have to give her away EVEN if you decided to stay put.

It is very difficult to have a dog with high energy and not be able to give her the exercise and time she needs. You probably feel guilty EVERY day and that is hard. If she is placed with a loving family, you will feel sad, but you will know that you did the right thing for her.

You can see if Shannon can help you get Chloe placed: email shannon at poomixrescue dot com. She is wonderful and she can tell you if she has a match for Chloe close by.

This is a tough decision, I am sure, but I know there is a family out there just waiting to get the opportunity to have a dog like Chloe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
annieG said:
That absolutely makes sense.

When I was single, I adopted a Kerry Blue Terrier, "Sadie Sue Fur Person"
Thanks for the smile :). Love the name. I hope that I can find a wonderful match for Chloe and I will not settle for any less. I am afraid to put an ad in the paper and I wanted to come here first because I know that there have been some placements made here. Chloe cost $800 and I have put alot of money into her (vet bills, etc) but I am not in this for money at all. I just want my baby to have a fun and happy life!

Chase is and has always been content to lay by me on the couch and he does not mind being left alone.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Autumn,
I know that this must be very hard for you and I hope that you will be able to find Chloe the home that's right for her.

Any chance your "boyfriend turned best friend" will take her? I think this serves as a good example of why pets should NEVER presents.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have already asked him and his fiance just had a baby so that is out. She wasn't exactly a present since I was in on the whole process but I agree that people should definitely do their research first. Not to mention that I did not "meet" Chloe before I went to pick her up and had already put a deposit on her. Had I known how hyperactive she was beforehand, I probably would have reconsidered and saved myself this terrible heartache and empty feeling that I now have. I know that not everything in life is easy and this is definitely one of those moments where you know that you need to do the right thing.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Autumn i am sure you feel between a rock and a hard place with Chloe.

Your career though is what affords you to even have a dog...and an advancement enhances your career even further---it's your future.

With Chloe ...you may want to give Complete information : the good, the bad, the great and not so great, the quirks, the real likes she has etc
don't hold back.
AS this can ensure a right dog to the right person.

The gal who brought Kirby back to my breeder cried her eyes out but when i talked to her i got so much information which enabled me to foster and WORK with the few quirks and fears Kirby had. LMTOTH2 aka Leslie adopted kirby and to-date it's been so heartwarming to see KIRBY being with a family that truly loves him and works with him alot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Annmarie, as always you have been a tremendous help.

Chloe is not afraid of anything...well except for when Chase barks :lol: . She loves everyone (even the vet!). She is 6 months old (as of November 2nd) and last weighed in at 52 pounds. I have had the issue with her coat but I am currently giving her fish oil capsuls to see if that corrects the problem. I believe that it is eczema and from what I have read, it is often an issue that is outgrown with age. She is very loving and very active. Loves to run and retrieve tennis balls. She seems to have outgrown the nipping stage and her worst habit is counter surfing. :lol: :?

Ok, I have tears just saying all of this about her.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Great advice Annmarie...Absolutely, be very upfront. That is the only way that Chloe will find a forever home. The more information you provide the easier it will be for the person adopting her to know what her needs are.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Autumn, I am glad that you have realized that Chloe needs a different situation than you can provide. It would be a shame to keep a dog just for the emotional reasons and not do what is best for them. I'm sure there will be a family that will love her, quirks and all. All the best to you in your move and all the decisions you have to make.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Autumn, I wish you the best for both you and Chloe. Finding her a good loving home will make it easier for both of you , I'm glad you aren't just dropping her at a shelter. There is someone out there who has the time and lots of love to give Chloe, just be patient in finding her a forever home.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
This has to be so hard for you
and I am sorry you are going through it............
Hopefully she will find a new Happy Home very soon.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts