Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what other breeders do in regards to vaccinating puppies.
There are so many web sites out there its hard to decipher which is the best information. We thought it best to pick your brains a bit.
Last time we used Pet edge. Fort Dodge 5 way.
If you could submit a great place to order vaccinations we'de love it.
Martha & Tom

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I'm not much help...I get NeoPar from the NeoPar company, and the other combinations or vaccines (when I do give them...I usually have the vet give them) I find at our local farm supply store. I ask my vet what to get and they tell me brand names and what I need and don't need to include.
That's what I'd suggest, asking your vet...but you can get good info from Dr. Fosters and Smith catalogue...probably online too.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have been vaccinating for years and yes, Jac's right, you want to talk with your vet about what you should and shouldn't include in your vaccines. For example lepto isn't usually given at 8 but 12 wks, I believe, because it is harsh to process. Here in CO our vet wants our puppies to get Coronavirus vaccinations, but other places say no, it's not necessary.

My vet is quite emphatic that I do NOT use the Galaxy line. She hasn't really explained and I haven't asked. She prefers the Fort Dodge Duramune line so that's what I give, with Corona.

I look for places that offer FREE SHIPPING on orders over a $$ amount. There are a few of those. Check my website (FAVORITES PAGE) for one that will give an additional $5 off for first orders, if you give my customer number.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ah, that is so special! It is great fun for me to see dogs that so resemble mine, or others! There really are some standard "appearances" beween doodles....and they are beautiful!
Glad you brought this to my attention! Thanks

·
Registered
985 Posts
Also, if you're in an area where Lyme disease is an issue, do some research before administering that vaccine. Our vet likes it; our friend who's a retired vet thinks it's not only not effective but could be dangerous to dogs, since it may affect their immune system and also induce more severe arthritic-like symptoms in dogs who are challenged by ticks bearing the disease vector after receiving the vaccine. I did some research on google and found enough to support my friend's point of view that I told our vet we didn't want it.

The younger vet in his office was diplomatic and acknowledged that his professors in veterinary school were either adamantly for or adamantly against that vaccine, but he didn't offer an opinion.

Leslie

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH NO , I WOULDN'T EVER GIVE THAT ONE MYSELF. ITS NOT RECCOMENDED IN RHODE ISLAND UNTIL AT LEAST 16 WEEKS OF AGE, & BOTH PARENTS HAVE RECEIVED THE LYME VACCINE WITHOUT COMPLICATIONS...HMMM NOW I WISH I HAD KNOWN....
THERE IS TALK OF DOGS NOT NEEDING THE RABBIES VACCINE SO OFTEN, BUT INDIVIDUAL STATES MANDATE DIFFERENT YEARS SPACES BETWEEN VACCINATING AGAINST RABIES. IN RHODE ISLAND IT IS EVERY 2 YEARS. I MAY CONSIDER GETING A RABIES TITER ON THEM BEFORE NEXT TIME TO SEE IF THE TITER IS AT AN ADEQUATE LEVEL ... THAT WAY I CAN PROVE TO OUR TOWN THEIR IMMUNITY & PROTECTION IS STILL WORKING.
THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
LOL I worded that badly, didn't I?
They've all had the disease, and really had a rotten time with it.

So because I know so many who've had it, I gave my dogs the vaccine. We're in an area that's really plagued by lymes. The quickie test to check for lymes was actually developed just an hr from my home by a dr who had seen a lot of cases of it that should have been treated earlier.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
WE use PROGUARD

and the reasons why is there is little chance of reaction
on pup we ONLY use the way until after 16weeks old if they live in area that lepto is high
I order from either kvet.com or jefferspet.com
hope this helps!! :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Rabies? or Yearly Booster

M&Tdoodles said:
OH NO , I WOULDN'T EVER GIVE THAT ONE MYSELF. ITS NOT RECCOMENDED IN RHODE ISLAND UNTIL AT LEAST 16 WEEKS OF AGE, & BOTH PARENTS HAVE RECEIVED THE LYME VACCINE WITHOUT COMPLICATIONS...HMMM NOW I WISH I HAD KNOWN....
THERE IS TALK OF DOGS NOT NEEDING THE RABBIES VACCINE SO OFTEN, BUT INDIVIDUAL STATES MANDATE DIFFERENT YEARS SPACES BETWEEN VACCINATING AGAINST RABIES. IN RHODE ISLAND IT IS EVERY 2 YEARS. I MAY CONSIDER GETING A RABIES TITER ON THEM BEFORE NEXT TIME TO SEE IF THE TITER IS AT AN ADEQUATE LEVEL ... THAT WAY I CAN PROVE TO OUR TOWN THEIR IMMUNITY & PROTECTION IS STILL WORKING.
THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES...
Did you mean yearly booster or Rabies given to often
the first year for rabies is for 1yr, the 2nd year is for 3yrs
Legally i think rabies Must be given in every state

There is talk about over vaccination of dogs and pups for the Distemper parvor lepto ect and they are offering titer tests for those in some vets hospitals not all
Proguard recommends 6weeks, 9weeks and 12weeks and thats it
after that then yes you would be over vaccinating, i dont spare shots on any pups they all get that, then we give boosters still once a year but are considering titer tests in the future ,our shot schedule has worked well for us and our clients, with no side effect thus far

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I KNOW THAT THE RABIES VACC. HAS TO BE GIVEN EVERY 2-3 YEARS ..MY CONCERN IS THAT TITER LEVELS AFTER 2-3-4 YEARS HAS BEEN STUDIED, AND THEY ARE FINDING OUT THAT THE RABIES TITER IS STAYING AT PROTECTIVE LEVELS LONGER & THE NEED TO REVACCINATE SO OFTEN ISNT AS NECCESSARY ....
BUT CHANGE IS HARD...

BUT THE TEST TO DEFINE TITER LEVELS IS EXPENSIVE SO TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERY DOG IS VACCINATED STATES LIKE RHODE ISLAND IS EVERY 2 YEARS. I THINK SOME STATES REQUIRE EVERY 3 YEARS WHICH IS NICE TO SEE...
THERE IS AN INTERRESTING ARTICLE ON RECOMMENDED VACCINE SCHEDULES IN THE NOV 2006 ISSUE OF :
THE WHOLE DOG JOURNAL ..THIS IS A WONDERFUL JOURNAL DEDICATED TO NATURAL DOG CARE & TRAINING..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Vaccinations

Hello,

Just wanted to ask you guys since some of you give your own vaccinations to your puppies, what did your buyers think when they found out you are the one administering the vaccines instead of the vet? I was curious because I had one lady asked me if I do my puppies vaccines like she has some kind of negative impression if I was in fact doing it myself . My vet just passed away of old age, and I am looking for a new one but was also considering the idea of doing it myself, which looks like will some me lots of $$$.

I will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Mhyles
www.coloradomountainlabradoodles.com :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Maila, good to see you here!

I do vaccinate our puppies myself, and I buy the kind my vet prefers, so I always mention that this is the brand my vet recommended to me. Do you give a health record? If so you can peel the labels off the little bottles and stick them on the health record as a kind of receipt, for the sake of your client's vet when they get their second shot.

I also have become quite confident about this, so if you aren't confident, fake it! :wink:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have a vet that comes here to do well pup checkups at 6weeks old
they are given by my vet at that time, or if they cant get here i do it myself,
the reason i have my vet give first vaccine at well pup checkup is because some vets do not believe breeders do as they say ,,of course some dont, its just best that i have a professional back me up ,,what i say they can take to the bank,
Dont you do well pup checkups before your pups go home??

Dont you think you need to find another vet,
no telling what could happen
i would be worried sick if i didnt have a vet ,,fortunaly i have 4 from 2 different practices

·
Registered
106 Posts
Vaccination

Hello! Thanks for your responses. Before, my vet come to our house when the puppies are 3 days old, he checked them all and he took care of the de claws. I refrain from going to the "other" vet's office and take the puppies there because I am paranoid that the puppies will get something-the only time I take the puppies to the vets office is after their first shots, when they need to get microchipped. My vet does not microchip so I have to take them to the other vet's office. The litter that I have right now had been checked by my vet at 3 days old, now that he is gone I thought I will administer their shots, take them to the vet's office to get their microchip done and have their check up too before they leave to their permanent home.

How about you Maureen, when do you get their check ups done?

Have a good day :lol:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My puppies get their first shots when they get their 7-8 wk old check-up. The remaining puppy shots I do. Lepto in not included until their 3rd shot, & I give it as I live in the woods, so the potental for exposure to wild animals is high here. Although we have ticks here, my vet said not to bother with the Lymes vacine, seems it isn't much of an issue here?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Judi,,,just some friendly advice, this coming from a retired vet tech and breeder over 30yrs,
pups need vaccine at 6 9 and 12weeks old, if your vet has not advised you of that , im sorry,,that is even on every vial of vaccine sold,i use intervet proguard 5way only and never ever never do i give lepto to any of my dogs and i dont recommend it given to pups under 16weeks old, the chances of reaction is tooo high,

just google reactions to lepto vaccine and you will be horrified, pups can die from lepto corona or lyme disease shots, i hope i helped in some way

Reguards
Nancy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts