Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever had experience with vaginitis or UTI's with their puppy's or dogs? Layla has had 2 UTIs already and is only 11 months. She now has another infection I believe is vaginitis. She also has a "tucked up vulva" which can contribute to this by trapping bacteria.
Also, on and off again the vet has found very few struvite crystals in her urine. She also has a bit of "spay incontinence" we believe.
She seems totally healthy and happy overall, but this particular area seems to be somewhat persistent. The vet has hinted towards a prescription diet for urinary ... but I am not all that comfortable with the quality of vet diets food.
Right now she is on Innova and is doing great on it. Does anyone know of anything they have done or tried for these sorts of things? Supplements? Changing her to some crappy food that has something in it to acidify the urine or something of the sort is my last resort, but I also don't want her to have these infections too often. She is the most happy energetic pup and we have no problems with her exept "between the legs" haha.
Just looking for suggestions...

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Callie also has a tucked up vulva. It's also called an inverted vulva. There are some informative articles online if you Google it.

Has Layla been spayed yet? Our vet has recommended allowing Callie (she is now 7 months old) to have her first heat, as the hormone surge often corrects the condition. I've been told that if pups with inverted vulvas are spayed before their first heat, they won't correct on their own. If it is a recurrent problem, it may be possible to correct it surgically (vulvoplasty), but lets hope it doesn't come to that for either Layla or Callie.

Like you, the quality of 'vet food' worries me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calliedoodle said:
Has Layla been spayed yet? Our vet has recommended allowing Callie (she is now 7 months old) to have her first heat, as the hormone surge often corrects the condition. I've been told that if pups with inverted vulvas are spayed before their first heat, they won't correct on their own.
Yes she is spayed now. I had heard the same thing, but when I asked my vet, he actually kind of recomended against it saying that it would only swell when she was in heat, but then return to normal. He said he was more comfortable doing it before their first heat. I kind of wonder what could have been...it's so hard to tell what to believe. I do trust my vet with what he does, although we don't agree on everything such as diet.

I will mention the cranberry capsules and see what he says.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd ask about the Cranberry extract pills with vit c
Walmart sells them for less than the dog sites on the internet

also try walking your doodle a bit more to make sure the bladder is being completely emptied after a nap, hard play/walks etc

Peanut had one few months ago, cranberry tabs were used she got over hers very quickly , yes was given antibiotics too.

oh dogs cannot overdose on cranberry

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice...going to look into that stuff this week.

I have started to make sure I let her out a bit more after hard plays etc.
I find I get it most times before she falls asleep and has accidents. But sometimes I go out for a couple hours, and that's when they happen most.

She is on antibiotics now, so hopefully I can work on "prevention" afterwards. Really hoping to avoid switching to some crappy food just because it acidify's the urine. THat is my last resort. Hoping to find something in the meantime.
I want Layla to be healthy overall, so I want to keep her on high quality foods as well as help with the other problems. I will keep trying until I get the right mix. As for right now, I better go throw her toy around for her. That's all she's worried about since she keeps tossing it on my lap as I type haha.
Thanks again all for your advice. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts