Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is certainly not unheared off, however if it repeats itself that often and which so little time in between, your vet may want to check if there are other (anatomical) reasons why she gets this. There is known issue where sometimes the vulva is shaped in a way that can cause recurring UTIs. This can be helped through surgery.

Another option is that the first never really cleared up. How long was the antibiotics treatment the first time around? Pacha had one recurring UTI (once at about 8 months, and then it came back at about 11-12 months). The second time the vet put her on a 4 week antibiotics treatment, to make sure the bacteria was completely out of her system. It has not returned since...

Good luck to you and Lani! I know how sad it is when you see your dog is hurting (Pacha would cry very loud every time she'd pee the first 1-2 days, which was a lot obviously!)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lisa,
I don't believe that recurrent UTIs are common in Labradoodles, at least I am not awareof that. I did a quick web search and found an interesting thought: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html
But then there was a person who wrote in to a forum about a severe UTI puppy and the responses were long, involved, but may be helpful advice: http://www.vegsource.com/animal/dogs/me ... 10044.html
And then there is this one: http://experts.about.com/q/German-Shepe ... rd-UTI.htm
Now, none of these may be completely on point, but perhaps one may have information you had not yet considered. I hope so. I feel so sorry for Lani and for you. This is so tough on you both.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael and Jac,

Thank you for the info. Lani has an appointment on Friday for her distemper/leptosporosis vaccine (hopefully w/o a reaction this time!), I will talk to the vet about the possibilities. It is very comforting to know there is a great resource so readily available! Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We sincerely care, Lisa...we are here for you.
Please let us know how Lani is feeling...I'd appreciate an update when you get any news.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi Lisa,
Some UTI's are kinda stubborn, so the first thing I'm wondering is what anti-biotic did your vet give Lani the first time? A penicillin or amoxicillin type? I would expect him to try Clavimox this time...it's stronger; the 1st question I wonder is if the UTI was really cleared up or just kinda calmed down ya know?

What kind of reaction did Lani have to the lepto shot? Does your vet require it? Our vet doesn't recommend it unless you have large animals (cattle) in the area. We do give the Corono vaccine and all the others but not the Lepto. And just like with kids you can't assume your vet will remember Lani's last episode so ask about what is written on the chart! :D

Keep us posted.......

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Maureen, Lani was given clavamox the first time and this time also. I do not remember giving a urine sample to see if it was gone so that could be the problem. There was no blood in the sample but there were a lot of white cells. I will talk to the vet Friday.

Lani's reaction to the lepto - she threw up before we left the office, they gave her a shot of benadryl and simething for her stomach. An hour and a half later we were back getting a shot of adrenaline (sp?) she was breaking out in hives. 2 hours later she was still miserable we called the vet again. We ended up giving her a cold bath and put a fan on her she finally setteled down a couple of hours later and slept through the night.

We have alot of racoons, opossoms, ground hogs, even foxes in our area (even though we are a Chicago Suburb). When I talked to the vet about the lepto we decided to go ahead because of the wild animals. We will have to talk again. Me may not be going to give it to her. He did decide not to give the rabies with it. Our vet is great with remembering everything (or at least reading the chart before he comes in! He even gave us his cell number when our chocolate lab, KC was so sick in Jan and died.) Thanks for the info and concern!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Morning, Lani funally finished her antibiotic for the UTI so I took in a sample to see if it had cleared up. I talked to the vet last night and there was on blood in the sample but quite a bit of white blood cells and the pH was off. It seems she has reoccuring vaginitis and cannot be spayed until after her first heat cycle. :cry:

Thank you to all for the information, having checkedout some of the websites I was not at all surprised at what the vet told me.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa, I am sorry that the news was not better for you and Lani, but I am glad that you have more information under your belt so that you are more able to understand what is happening.

Bayley actually had this problem too...and the vet told me that after her first heat cycle she would be fine...and she is! So, don't worry too much...sounds like things will be looking up for you both!

Thansk for the update!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts