Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was Ari's birthday - so I went to Petco and bought him a few surprises as well as picked up a Halti to try. Ari seemed pretty excited about it (as with anything new...lol) and he didn't really have any issues putting it on, etc... I read all of the instructions prior to using it.

He did try to paw it off a few times, but a few "leave it" commands and he seemed okay with it. At first I just left it on him and played with him in the backyard, throwing balls and him retrieving them so he could get used to wearing it.

Most of the time he seemed oblivious to it. After he seemed comfortable, I attached his leash and proceeded to walk him up and down the drive way (which he did NICELY).

After doing that for a bit, I decided it was okay to take him around the block. Half way around the block was a breeze. He was being good and seemed okay with the Halti. Then there were these two dogs out in their yard barking like crazy. That's when Ari lost it.

He started flailing around like an alligator, walking backwards (to try and get out of the halti), and pulling really hard. The halti was on properly so he couldn't get it off thankfully. Once he was away from those dogs, he was fine and walked perfect. It's just weird because he NEVER acted like that around those dogs, even when I walked him with his regular collor or choke chain.

Was I doing something wrong? What could I have done to correct this? I don't want to walk him in a crowd of people one day and have him do something like this because he sees something that he wants to check out. Also, is there a certain side of me that Ari should be walking on? I typically walk him on my left-hand side as it seems more comfortable for me, but I'm not sure if this is correct (or if it even matters).

Thanks for any replies!
They're much appreciated! :)
Kari & Ari

·
Registered
162 Posts
It may just be an adjustment to a new way of being 'restrained.'

He figured that this new thing was holding him back from protecting you or something along those lines. Has he had issues with other dogs on walks before, or just today?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kari -

I'm a new dog owner so I don't have tons of experience with this. We have used the Halti on Gunner and it gave us much better control. He could not pull as much and would heel at the walk. The difficulties we had were that if he did see another dog (or whatever) and started pulling it would rub the hair off his nose to the point where he was getting a sore. He also would take every opportunity to try to pull it off his nose. (As we have only had him three weeks - he's a rehome- he has not yet learned a leave it command.) So. we ended up discontinuing the use. At the moment we are using a prong collar (which I initially resisted), but Gunner behaves so well when it is on that I hardly ever have to make a correction.

Regarding the walking side, I have learned from dog training books that you are supposed to walk your dog on your left side. I have not yet seen an explanation as to why that is, but I've been doing it anyway! There must be some logical reason.

Sara

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I bet it is an adjustment thing. Dexter threw a few "temper tantrums" when we started using the gentle leader, but he got over it pretty quickly :) Maybe bring some treats on your walk...if he starts jumping around ask him to sit and get him walking nicely and treat him.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the replies! I suppose it was more of an adjustment thing for Ari. I kept working with him on the Halti this past weekend and I think he has finally accepted it. :)

As long as I keep him busy, he seems okay with it now.

I walked him A LOT this weekend and even took him to the park. The halti really seems to be working now. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
We got a Control Ease collar last week. It is basically the same as a Halti. Bailey tries to get out of it every once in awhile also but as the week has gone on he has gotten better for sure. The book that came with it says to always be positive with it (lots of praise and treats when on) so that he looks forward to having it on.

He also gets a bit excited when dogs or people walk by but it is much better then when he just had the martindale on. He is so controlled now that I almost feel bad that he can't just be his ol' puppy self. But for now it's necessary.

I'm not sure about why dogs are supposed to be on one particular side either and have always wondered. I walk Bailey on the opposite side - more comfortable for me for some reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts