Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My groomer recommended when I bathe Nezzie who has a thick curly coat, that after wetting her down I cover her chest and trunk with dawn detergent ...Then take the slicker brush and comb her out....I havent tried it yet . She did caution not to use it on her head so it wont get on her eyes...She says it works wonders....she uses it on all her poodles and poodle mixes with the curly hair ....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I've never heard of that, Jackie! Let me know if you decide to try it and how it works. I suppose that you rinse it after combing it through...wouldn't that sort of tangle the coat again? (Maybe I am just dense...but enquiring minds want to know! LOL)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol....yeah Im sure you wash it out ... However she never did say that !

·
Registered
197 Posts
I took a course in Professional dog grooming and learned there to use sunlight as a cheap source of flea shampoo. I have yet to see a dog react to it, but I do know one doberman that has sensitive skin and would never try it on him. I also use sunlight on Cocker spaniels that are older and full of oil, it works great. I know some groomers use Palmalive. Dove is probably milder. On my own dogs I use baby shampoo on the face and ears, rinse it out good , than sunlight the body. Then they are squeaky clean. When I was grooming for others I stuck to the professional shampoo's unless it was a really oily dog, just incase they had sensitive skin.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
g'morning!
oooh, Dawn has such grease-cutting properties, this is interesting.

Molly what about the part where people and dogs have different Ph levels in our skins? This is something I've been told by a groomer-friend.

Maybe this is a good place for me to share a bathing tip I have found:
Most of the dog-shampoos I buy say they are able to be diluted several times, so I started diluting them in water, and then pouring on the soapy water all over our puppies and dogs. Well: VOILA! it is SO MUCH EASIER to get the soap spread out over the pet's body when it is well-diluted in water! And saves on soap too, of course.

Maybe this is too obvious to others but starting with a soapy dilution has hugely helped me with the bathing part of breeding

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
A long time ago, I had a vet that suggested Ivory dish soap for the control of fleas. I guess the stuff smothered them and Ivory was mild enough for their skin. I will have to say that it worked. When I gave my dog (and cats - not an easy task) Ivory soap baths, the fleas would fall off dead. However, once dried, the fleas were back. But that's my input on the whole dish washing detergent thing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I ve never ran into a problem using the baby shampoo, but your probably right. I now that they make tearless dog shampoo as well. When I groomed I used Aleo Dirty dog and diluted it and it worked great. My friend buys a paste and loves it, not sure of the name??

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning...

This is an interesting thread. I have heard about dogs having a different ph factor too, but I often wonder...seriously, what do dog shampoos have that people shampoos don't? I mean, what makes them so different for the ph factor?

My mother used to wash all of her dogs (all of my life she did this, still does) in human shampoo and she has never once had a problem with itching, flaking, shedding, etc. Her dogs always look great...shiny coat, healthy skin...

Sometimes I wonder if the ph factor argument isn't just another reason for us to spend MUCH more money on dog shampoo! (Although, I admit, I use dog shampoo because I don't want to find out the hard way that I am wrong. :roll: )

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used Suave shampoo on Bandi since she came home. We have never had any type of reaction. I figure if she can swim in the salt water of the Gulf and the lake water around here (the polluted end of the Mississippi River), she won't have trouble with a little human shampoo.
Really guys! These dogs sniff each other's butts, and they eat dead frogs, lizards and snakes (mine does anyway...)
And flea & tick shampoo has some god-awful chemicals in them!!
I believe our dogs are made of sterner stuff than we give them credit for!!! :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
any conditioner will seperate the fur from tatting, if you do this before shampoo it will make the grooming easier

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is so interesing to know about the detergent, because yesterday we were buying our puppy supplies in advance of our vacation and in Petco the puppy shampoo was $10.99 for a small bottle! That's more expensive than my own Aveda shampoo which I feel majorly guilty about buying - no way should puppy shampoo be more expensive! I did find a cheaper one in the supermarket, but really, no need for it to be so expensive!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey DoodleReady, please email me and I'll give you a link for a BARGAIN place to shop online!

My groomer-friend did seem insistent that we should use DOG products on dogs (as opposed to Dawn, etc) but perhaps that is part of her formal training, and also because if she used Dawn and it caused flaking on the pup she would be blamed. <?>

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Maureen...send me that discount place!

I usually buy my products at www.petedge.com and they have a ton of products...really good ones...and the gallons dilute to make something like 10 gallons of shampoo...and they are only about $17 (plus shipping).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
yup, they're a great place but www.petsuppliesdelivered.com is also a good place - and their shipping is more reasonable than petedge. www.jefferspet.com is another good one, but after calculating shipping I usually end up at www.petsuppliesdelivered.com

PLUS: mention my customer no. 14320824 and you'll get $5 off your first order! :wink:

it looks like a brazen plug but I really find them very reasonable on basic stuff, especially shampoos and latex toys :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts