Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have not been here for quite awhile, but I thought I would check in and see if anyone has any advice for me. My 'Maya' has had another urinary tract infection (this makes 3 and she's 2 years old). She completed a script of antibiotics but it didn't work and she had to do a second script of more potent antibiotics. Good thing she takes pills easily. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any tried and true secrets they can share about how to prevent recurrent infections. I feed Maya Performatrin Ultra, which she tolerates well...has poodle tummy a bit too.

Any ideas?
MJ

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We only have male dogs, but I think I remember reading some w/female dogs feed them cranberry tablets...I think feeding some yogurt may help too.

Of course that will not clear up the current infection - hope the meds do the trick!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Me...leslie is talking about ME feeding Peanut Cranberry tablets with vit c
that helped her while i got the antibiotics and kept her on it while she was.

it helped her UTI which was bad or rather she had to pee every 15 min till she was on antibiotics
and you can't give them too much cranberry either...i bought mine at Walmart as online Cranberry tabs with ester c for dogs cost $$$$

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
Maybe I'll give the cranberry a try, good idea. At least maybe I can prevent a repeat infection. How much do you give?

MJ

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't know abut UTI in dogs but my daughter has had them all her life. The docs say that it is due to the shape and position of her urethra and bladder. I would assume something similar could happen in dogs...their Achiles heel.

My daughter finds that drinking cranberry juice everyday helps...I believe it changes the PH of the urine making bacterial growth more difficult.

I definitely would give the cranberry tablets a try :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts