Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my puppy has a urinary tract infection by the redness around her area and her pee is kind of like a creamy color. I really don't want to pay another $75 dollars for a test. We just paid for one not to long ago and they can add up. Sooooo, any natural remedies or whatever would help would be so appreciated.

Thanks
Cristina

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Cristina, I don't know of any natural remedys but if you can get a urine sample take it in and tell them you think she has a UTI. They can test the urine with out seeing her and then give you the antibiotic. We have done this before. I was able to get a sample by putting a throw away plastic lid under her after she started to pee.How old is she? Our Lani had a number of UTIs right after we got her at 8 weeks old. Hope she feels better soon, good luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
a lot of vets will give a little antibiotics based on symptoms, call your vet and see if they can do that based on an exam and symptoms. will save you the test money.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I don't know about vets, but my doctor (once I was diagnosed with a nasal infection) knew that I'd recognize the symptoms and let me call in for a prescription when I felt I was getting sick...so, I think that if you do like Lisa mentioned, take a sample in and ask for something, they will help...if not, and you do have to pay, I'd see a different vet and make sure that they were more flexible.
What is important is that maybe they misdiagnosed the problem before and that is why the pup is still having trouble...sounds like it is very painful, so I do hope that you can get some help soon...poor thing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We just had the urinalysis done, which was $28, less than than the office visit of $35. The only other cost was the medicine. I would definately consider changing vets if they insist on you coming in everytime for a UTI. Like Jac said once I knew the symptoms the vet would let me call in for a RX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yogurt?

I'm not saying that this is the right thing to do but has anyone ever heard of yogurt for a uti? my boss actually mentioned today that she uses yogurt when her dog gets one and it clears right up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
uti

we have Banfield as our vet and we called today to find out what are options are and they want to charge us $150 for a culture and sample. It's almost like having a child and I'm not sure it that's including meds. I hope I don't sound careless. But if this is a reoccurring situation, ughhh!!!

I'm curious about the yogurt, what kind and how much daily and how often.

Thanks
Cristina

·
Registered
434 Posts
As a nurse I can tell you that yogurt for a yeast infection would be great, but UTI, I'm not sure about. Here is my thinking....I MIGHT BE WRONG.... A yeast infection occurs externally when the normal microflora (bacteria) that lives happily on your body gets depleted by 'bad' bacteria. By adding the good stuff...acidophilus, lactobacillus ect, you allow it to overcome the bad stuff and all is good. A bladder infection occurs when nasty bacteria (usually e-coli) invades a normally sterile environment (bladder) and flourishes. You can eat all the good bacteria you want, but it strill does not live in your bladder. Does that make since? I'm all for natural remedies if they work, so try yogurt, it wont hurt anything, but antibiotics are quick and very effective if you don't abuse them and you take the entire course...Leslie

G

·
Hi Cristina,
I understand your frustration and don't think you are being careless at all. You seem concerned.
My advice would be to bring her to the vet and have the urine culture done. This will specifically identify the bacteria that is causing the infection. The culture is more involved that a urinalysis and that is why it costs more. When the specific bacteria is identified, then the proper antibiotic can be prescribed. Thr culture usually involves using a sterile needle to enter the bladder to remove urine. This method avoids potential contamination of the sample.
"In dogs, persistent urinary tract infections sometimes occur when a difficult bacterial infection is not treated long enough with antibiotics or the bacteria have found a protected spot in the urinary tract where it is hard for antibiotics to reach it. In this case, there really isn't a time when the dog is free from infection, so the urinary tract infection is persistent, not recurrent. In this situation, identifying the bacteria through culturing the urine and then testing to see which antibiotic will work against it and using it long enough should work to stop the problem. It may take two or three months of antibiotics in some cases"
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dogurinary.html
Yogurt will not cure a bacterial infection. It WILL help keep the good bacteria in the stomach from being killed off by the antibiotic. A tablespoon a day is the recommendation (But I feed Bella a kong filled with plain yogurt daily because she loves it. No ill affects.) Make sure the yogurt does not have artificial sweeteners.
Cranberry (I think you can get capsules) can help keep your dog free from a UTI, but again it will not cure one that is already present. You have to clear up the current infection, then start a capsule a day.
I would also question the vet about possible causes of the recurrent/persistent infection. Is there anything else he should test for while she is there? Would bloodwork be helpful in diagnosing an underlying problem? (Not to scare you, but possible diabetes or kidney problems.) That way you are not paying for an additional visit, only for the additional test.
I am so sorry you are going through this with your poor puppy. Hang in there and let us know the outcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts