Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) Tanner was put on Flagyl for the inflammation and also prednisone. He is also eating a specially altered protein diet.

I must say that I am amazed. While he is peeing buckets due to the prednisone, he is pooping very little. Finally eating and utilizing his food. His bowels are not rumbling, he is very satisfied with his kibble and canned food (the first time ever). I am using his kibble as treats too as he is not to have anything else for 4 months. The only negative thing I have noticed is that he seems more tired than usual. The vet said this AM that it could actually be pain....IBS is very painful. If he continues to be lethargic, she will give him something for that.

Tanner is also getting better with his fear aggression which I am wondering if in part it wasn't because he was feeling so awful.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Annie that is such encouraging news!!! i hope Tanner continues to do well and get his energy level back.

if he wasn't feeling well to-date possibly that could be a cause of his previous reactions.

keep me posted :D

PS HOW are YOU feeling annie?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
That's very good news. We were totally overwhelmed at the "dog food only" diet at first, but it really is ok (we didn't think Dex could live w/o treats - we were wrong) :)

I totally think his behavior could be due to not feeling well! I have witnessed similar things with our doodles (especially Dexter). I hope this continues to work for him :)

P.S. When is he getting that haircut?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haircut is set for Monday.

DH and I are disagreeing on the tail. He said he doesn't want him to look like a feather duster....I hate to see that beautiful hair cut off. :p :p

I am kinda nervous to see how skinny he is. I think he lost quite a few pounds when he was sick.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Good news about Tanner!

When Charlie was small, I only used his kibble as treats and he was perfectly happy about it. To add some variety, you can put some canned food and some kibble in a blender and mix it up. Then form the "dough" into small treats on a cookie sheet and bake until firm.

Charlie is getting ready for his summer haircut too. I've been thinking a big fluffy tail on a skinny hairless dog would look strange.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annie, that is wonderful news !!!!

We trimmed AB's tail once and it looked like a pencil :shock: so now I leave some "duster" on about the last 1/2 to 2/3 of her tail

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Oh Annie that is awsome news ,, :D
I know you are breathing a sigh of relief

I have not had a dog ever diagnosed with IBS, now me on the otherhand,,LOL I know what he is going thru,

give that beautiful Tanner a hug from auntie Nancy
hugs to you too :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Great news on Tanner!!! That prednisone is hard on them with the peeing and constant need for water.
Good Luck.........Hugs from Bogart

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Thank goodness they have found Tanner's problem - IBS can be painful, but thank goodness it's treatable! Give him a hug for me!

We've been leaving Tyke's "feather duster" alone when we get her hair cut. My sister's doodle got shaved down very close last year, and his poor tail looked so pitiful! Maybe you could get the groomer to take some of the length off without totally shaving it!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tanner is still doing great. We have gone to every other day on the Pred... and then will do every third day until they are gone.

He is eating eagerly (first time for a long, long time). He is pooping normally, he is starting to do doodle 500's again and he is sleeping through the night.

I don't think it gets any better than this :wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Stay on the mend Tanner!! Cut Tail???? Who cares, just get better!!! :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts