Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELL0 EVERY0NE! Sorry I have not posted in awhile! Charlie is doing great! I am going to look into obedience classes very soon. He is almost 5 1/2 months now. I still think he is only about 17-20 pounds. He is not growing very fast, we deffinately think he will be small!

He has gotten a little bit better on the housebreaking because i have been watching him like a hawk and last night when i was gone he got out
of his X-PEN and didnt pee or mess anything up :!: Today will be day 4 of no accidents!
As of yesterday, I decided not to use the crate anymore. I cant have it in my room because of the smell! Its awful! I clean it out all the time, too! There is no other room for it anywhere else in the house either.

Now for the question.
Has anyone else taken away the crate like this. We decided to keep him in the laundry room at night in his X-PEN and the same for when we are gone. Should I just leave him in the laundry room without it? Will this mess up his housebreaking?

I am also open to other suggestions that people have with not using a crate. What methods do you use? We have always used crate so I am just not sure about this!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry Charlie, but I still think that crate training is the best method of house breaking. You need to restrict that space in order for them nto to want to mess it up. If they can get away from it they will not think twice abotu peeing in the corner.

Why does the crate smell? If charlie has peed in it just clean it out with natures miracle and that should remove any smell...

·
Registered
853 Posts
I stopped using the crate for Doc when he was about 5 months old. It is a large crate but he got so big that he just couldn't get comfortable in it. I started keeping him in the laundry room when I went out (which was not for more than 4 hrs at the most and mostly about 1-2 hrs). He never peed in there. He's almost 7 months old now. Only once he went poop, but, he couldn't help that. At night we tether him to the leg of my son's bed and that has worked great. He hasn't peed or pooped in there either. He now has a pet door and dog run outside from the laundry room, so if we need to leave for longer periods of time, he can get outside to go to the bathroom. That is just our experience and it has worked well for us.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I borrowed a metal crate for Cinnamon to keep her out of trouble while I was at work but we didn't use it at night (Daddy didn't want to hear her cry). We had 2 or 3 accidents at first, but I soon learned that if I got up when I heard her up, I advoided the messes. It was like there was a new born back in the house, and we're empty nesters, so it's been a while. (Notice there is no "we" in the getting up part!)
I will have to say that to all you "parents" out there who use a crate, I don't have anything against crates. It's just not us. It's a personal thing, but if you don't have the time to "watch them like a hawk," it's sure does save on clean up and chewed up furniture. :roll: Cin also spent time in the laundry room until she found out how to knock down the baby gate we put up to keep her in. I think she finally started to behave herself at 5 1/2 months. It could have been 6, but I do know that she was out on her own by that May, which would have been about 6 or 7 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts