Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this because I want everyone to be aware of the new changes to the Assembly Bill 1634 (Healthy Pet Act). This Bill was re-referred to the Committee on Local Government. The bill will be heard at their hearing on July 11th at 8:00am in Room 112. AB 1634 will be a special order of business. We have no time to lose!

(Please read the Bill carefully because all of the major points are "hidden" in ambiguous terms, but are legally binding to the following results:)

1) In order to breed dogs in California, a breeder must obtain an intact permit. This permit is good until Jan. 2012 BUT allows ONE male and ONE female, per household and allows only ONE litter. Then the breeder is finished. Period. All of the language in this bill refers to how one might GET an intact permit, but does NOT extend any breeding beyond the ONE litter. There is one exception, see # 3 below. (I believe that you can have one litter per year, but I am not certain.)

2) That one allowed litter MAY NOT BE SOLD, it must be GIVEN away.

3) The only exemption to this is for breeding of LICENSED guide dogs. We looked it up. There are 3 (yes, THREE) licensed guide dog organizations in California. The Guide Dogs of America, The Guide Dogs for the Blind and the Guide Dogs of the Desert. Any other charitable organization, any other service dog, police dog, hearing dog, etc. must comply with the one litter, one time rule.

4) Every breeder in the State will be virtually stopped. That means that every vet in the state will be severely impacted by lack of revenue because good breeders spend, literally, thousands of dollars for each litter and countless amounts for testing breeding stock.

5) All of the citizens of California who want a dog will have to import that dog or puppy from out of state. Shipping fees are an added expense. You won't have the right to see your puppy before you buy, you won't be able to meet the parent dogs or see where they are born or raised.

6) Puppy mills and puppy brokers all over the nation will rise up to take up the slack of the lost breeders in California.

7) Puppies will be born without regard to their health, welfare or care and then shipped to trusting new owners in California

8) There is nothing to regulate ferral cats, nothing to regulate the faulty mentality of owners of pets who believe that they are "disposable". Nothing required to educate people. (Oh, but they DO require a tiny box that the dog can live in, but it must be able to stand up and turn around in it...still, you can keep a dog in that box. (Kennel)

9) Vets will most likely be required to report any intact animal brought into their clinic, meaning that more people will avoid getting vet care and vaccines to avoid being cited for having an "illegal" intact animal. Much fewer animals will be licensed because the owner won't take the dog for rabies vaccinations. Rabies cases may raise.

10) For most of you getting this notice, this means that YOUR dear pet would not have been born if this Bill had passed last year.

11) Caring, responsible breeders will be put out of business. I will be put out of business.

These things may not be important to you...but I hope that they are...because if this bill passes into law, I will not be breeding any more dogs after April, 2008. I will not be alone. This is not just mixed breed dogs that are affected, the bill restricts breeding of ALL dogs.

I believe that you have a right to choose and obtain a loving family pet. I believe that I have a right to carefully and responsibly help to create those pets. I believe that you should be able to buy or obtain a pet in California. I believe that this Bill is such a clear example of government interfering with our personal freedom that it is a very frightening future we face...this is not just about dogs and cats. It is about individual rights and freedom and the gaovernment's interferance with them.

And the saddest part is that this bill will NOT prevent stray animals in shelters. It will not save lives. It will fail in the very basic sense of its purpose.

Please, if you feel that this Bill is wrong, contact your representatives today. We have no time to lose.

The following is from the AKC web page at: http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/C ... center.cfm

ALL CLUBS NEED TO SEND NEW LETTERS! Also, as the bill was amended please reference the bill As Amended June 27th. Letters must be received by July 3rd. Please immediately send your letters of opposition to the Local Government Committee:

Senate Local Government Committee
ATTN: Peter Detwiler
State Capitol, Room 5046
FAX: 916-322-0298

AND

Senate Republican Local Government Consultant
Ryan Eisberg
Legislative Office Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Fax: 916-445-3105

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone wants to use part or all of this letter to make contact, please feel free to repost.
Here is what I wrote to the Committees (Similar to the above only, hopefully, cleaned up...no typos!)

I respectfully ask that you firmly oppose AB 1634. This is a Bill that is poorly conceived, poorly written and contains not only terribly misplaced logic, but may impact the Constitutional Rights of breeders under the Negative Commerce Clause of the United States. (California breeders sell and ship puppies/adult dogs out of state.)

The stated purpose of this Bill is to make breeders pay for the costs of shelters and euthanasia of animals. Yet, if passed into law, it will take far more personnel and a much heavier cost to enforce the provisions of this action. This bill will NOT prevent stray animals in shelters. It will not save lives. It will fail in the very basic sense of its purpose.

If you sincerely want to decrease the number of dogs/cats in shelters, the first step should be to put an immediate stop to importation of stray animals from other areas as shown here: www.petfinder.com/shelters/CA583.html.

Although AB 1634 continues to go through changes, it remains ambiguous, confusing and absolutely misguided. Examples from the latest version of this Bill follow:

1) In order to breed dogs in California, an intact permit, through a large list of qualifying factors, is required. This permit is good until Jan. 2012, BUT it allows ONE male and ONE female dog or cat, per household and allows only ONE litter. Presumably, this means one litter per year, but it is not so stated. There is one exception, see # 3 below.

2) That one, allowed, litter MAY NOT BE SOLD. It must be GIVEN away. (Perhaps the authors meant to say that the litter could be sold OR given away after the animals are 8 weeks of age, but it is not so stated.)

3) The only exemption to this is for breeding of LICENSED guide dogs. There are 3 (yes, THREE) licensed guide dog organizations in California; the Guide Dogs of America, the Guide Dogs for the Blind and the Guide Dogs of the Desert. Any other charitable organization, any other service dog, police dog, hearing dog, etc. must comply with the one litter, one time rule.

4) When breeders are put out of business by this Bill (and they will be), veterinary offices will be severely impacted by lack of revenue. Good breeders spend, literally, thousands of dollars for each litter and extensive fees for testing breeding stock.

5) California citizens who want a dog will have to import that dog from out of state or rescue one from a shelter. Few shelter dogs are temperamentally sound or healthy. Shipping fees are an added expense. Citizens won't have the right to see their puppy before they buy, they won't be able to meet the parent dog, see where they are born or raised. They won't know their breeder or have the protection of the laws of California for legal recourse against out of state breeders.

6) Puppy mills and puppy brokers all over the nation will rise up to take up the slack of the lost breeders in California. Puppies will be born without regard to their health, welfare or care yet they will be shipped to trusting, new owners in California

7) There is nothing to regulate feral cats, nothing to regulate the faulty mentality of owners of pets who believe that animals are "disposable". Nothing in this Bill requires education of prospective owners, nothing that requires accountability from breeders, sellers or owners. These are the issues, ladies and gentlemen.

8) Vets will most likely be required to report any intact animal brought into their clinic, meaning that more people will refrain from obtaining vet care and vaccines to avoid being cited for having an "illegal" intact animal. Much fewer animals will be licensed and the owner won't take the dog for rabies vaccinations. Rabies cases may increase.

This is a hastily written Bill, being unduly rushed through the system, without regard to the consequences of its poorly drafted clauses. In the interest of fairness and justice, I implore you to eliminate this Bill. In the alternative, put the matter on hold and assign a FAIR committee to study the claims made by the proponents and reasonable solutions.

I don't believe that the proponents can prove the numbers they are using to support this Bill. I think that they take the numbers from the largest populated areas and multiply them by the number of shelters in smaller populated areas. I do not believe that their numbers are quantifiable. Their claims are shocking. Their videos of innocent animals being put to death are sickening and heartbreaking.

But this is so much more than an emotional issue. It was NOT the reputable breeders that put these animals here. Good breeders will offer their time and expertise to find solutions, given the opportunity.

I believe that California citizens have a right to choose and obtain a loving family pet. I believe that breeders have a right to carefully and responsibly help create those pets. I believe that California citizens should be able to buy or obtain their pet in California, under the protection of well conceived California law.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update...letters were due July 3 (never give us enough time to properly respond) and so Detwiler's fax was turned off. I still got mine through to Eisberg.
The danged Bill has been udated again, on the 3rd...I've not had a chance to review the changes, but will keep you posted.
I plan to keep writing/sending anyway...plus I am going to start calling and I want to write an article for news agencies...maybe SOME will print it...and even one will help!
Here is a link: www.saveourdogs.net
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
keep me posted Jac since the 3rd was teh cutoff date. I will help in any way possible!!!! I find this so hard to believe !!!! :evil:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Following along; will help however I can. Good karma on you, Jac.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for putting up with my postings about it...it is such an important battle for us that we need to get the word out and the forums are my best way...so thanks for understanding and for supporting me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts