Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I asked for some advice on underground fences. I appreciated all of the comments and installation tips I received. We finally got the fence installed this weekend. I read the training procedures which called for about 14 days to get to the point where you could leave a dog alone. It didn't recommend removing the leash for the first 3 or 4 days. Anyway, we were amazed that after a couple of hours, which included about 3 corrections and one run through the boundary, Wilco was trained. We're still not leaving him completely unattended but I'm confident that the hard part is over.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was five months on May 19th. I've actually had the fence for a couple of months but had read that it was best not to start training until at least 5 months.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's great to hear. Murphy is just now 4 months and I was planning on waiting until he was 5 months to start also. I am glad to hear it seems easy to do. Have you completly gotten rid of all the flags yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I'm going to leave the flags for the recommended time. There is a point where you start to remove every other one. I was home at lunch and he walked into the zone but quickly backed out.

The great thing is obviously the exercise he is now able to get off the leash. We're in a subdivision so everything has been limited to long walks on the leash with a trip a couple of times a week to a nearby park. We were still nervous having him off the leash there because he has started to venture further out. You will love it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
We've been using an underground fence with George and Gracie for 5 months now. It has been an amazingly wonderful addition....we are on acreage and have no means to fence. Twice we have expanded the "fenced" area and each time the doods have made the adjustment in a matter of hours. They run like crazy right up to the invisible perimeter and then stop short. Now we have a couple of indoor transmitters that work with their collars so we don't have doodles in the kitty litter or on the good upholstery. I can't recommend them enough.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester loves to chase the skateboarders and bike riders who come past our house. He runs right up to the electric fence then runs along with them. He gets to the end of our yard and slams on the brakes. We have all sorts of torn up grass where he skids to a stop. I think the skateboarders and bike riders find it funny now but at first it probably scared them to death seeing this blur coming toward them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bmac said:
He was five months on May 19th. I've actually had the fence for a couple of months but had read that it was best not to start training until at least 5 months.
I don't know anything about the fences but I wanted to tell you that my Buddy and your dog have the same birthday - December 19, 2005!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts