Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking to install or have an underground fence installed. We've looked at Innotek, Invisible and Contain a Pet. Does anybody have strong feelings for or against any of these. Also, would you do it yourself or have it done. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Undergroud Fence

Three weeks ago we got the "Invisible Fence" and we are thrilled with not only the results, but the customer service. They came out and worked with our dog twice and they spent a lot of time teaching us to complete the training. Our Gibby is 14 weeks old and had it down pretty much by the end of the first week. As far as doing it yourself, that is simply preference because you can make the border as big or as small as you would like, but I watched them install it and it took them quite some time. It was definitely labor intensive for sure! We also had the same company put it in at our cottage and they did an excellent job there as well. Hope it helps . . . TTARN

G

·
We got the "Invisible Fence" brand installed 9 1/2 yrs ago & we've been very happy! The wires are super strong & haven't deteriorated from the weather (NorthEast). Also, the collars are sturdy & totally waterproof (our Labs swim daily during the summer months with their collars on.) We had to have their repairman come out twice to fix a break in the line (once from a landscaper who cut it with his shovel & the other time when we had a new driveway put in.) They were very helpful with the initial setup & training, came on time & we got next day service to fix the break in the wire so our dogs' safety was never compromised. We'd give them an A+!!
Gabriele, Patty, Daisy & Odie

·
Registered
197 Posts
We have an electric fence and love it. we installed it and trained the dogs ourselves. It is easy but does take some time. It is a well worth while investment. Good luck.

G

·
Hi Callie,

I've had two underground fences. One was professionally installed, but the 2nd time we did it ourselves. Both were PetSafe fences.

Doing it yourself is so easy and a fraction of the price. You don't have to bury the wire. They sell these large staples that you can push into the ground to hold the wire in place. Eventually the grass grows up and covers the fence. We installed ours around two acres in one afternoon.

As far as the training, the professional installers are handy for that because they help you get started. Basically you introduce it with your dog on a leash and the collar set to noise only for a day or two. Let your dog walk into the area to hear the noise, then pull him back and praise. On the third day introduce the correction on the lowest level. Always be ready to pull your dog right back to you. On the 5th day, increase the correction. You keep doing that until your dog does not challenge the fence. Most do not need the correction level very high. They will learn quickly.

We were told minimum age is 4 months, so that's when I train mine.

Some of my dogs got upset about the correction and would not leave the porch for a day or two. This makes you feel very bad, but believe me, they will get over it. Take your dog out into the yard and play, give treats, etc. Let him know that the yard is a safe and fun place to be.

I bought mine through ebay. I've bought extra collars there and also at radiofence.com.

The fence will not keep people, other dogs, or predators out. Never leave your dog unattended inside an invisible fence.

Good luck!

Dixie

·
Registered
689 Posts
We bought ours at Home Depot and rented the machine that trenches and lays the cable (about $50 or so rental). It works great. As for the training we put the flags along the perimeter so Chester knew his limitations. Another suggestion was that when we take him out of the yard always going through the same spot so he knows its "safe". Our neighbors didn't do this so the only way they could get their boxer to leave the yard for a walk was to pick him up...not too easy after awhile. Chester doesn't know when the collar is on so he will automatically stop at the border---even if he's running. There have been times when you could see how tempted he was to run across the street to play with his friends he did it once or twice but learned. Now he just whines. If you are afraid it may hurt the dog try it yourself (my husband did this accidently when the collar was in his pocket---I couldn't stop laughing at that.) Remember it gives an audible warning first. Hope that helps.

G

·
Oh, I forgot about the flags! I did use those in the beginning, and they do help a lot.

Great tip on always going through the same spot. Some of my dogs trust that when they are on a leash it is safe. I do have one dog that is half my weight that I have to carry through. I'm sure that if anyone saw us they would get a good laugh. She's fine when we get to the other side.

Dixie

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm not sure if it is using the same spot to enter and exit the yard or the leash thing. I never thought of that.
Dixie, good point on the not keeping other dogs or predators out. I was mainly concerned with the street and Chester's desire to run across and play with his friends. Oh sure we could do a better job training him but even then the temptation may become too much for him.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay,

We are on to getting an electric fence! Chesterpal, you said you got yours from Home Depot. What brand did you get? We have about an acre of land that our house sits on, so how much wire do we need? Was it hard to go under the driveway? How much was it for the fence itself? How long did it take you? My husband wants to do it himself (I'll need a couple of drinks and a camera :) Thanks,

Kim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine is a PetSafe brand. Got it at Home Depot. We installed ours with the landscape staples (no digging). If you mow really low where you're going to put it down, then staple every couple of feet the sod will grow right over the wire and staples in a couple of weeks. I did it myself and am glad I did because it DOES occassionally require a little maintenance and if you install it, you learn all you need to know to maintain it.

My doods are so smart they know when the collar is on or off. So owner training (as usual) is the key for us. Once the doods are trained, as others have described so well here, you still have to pay attention. EX: if you have a power outage or you forget the collar. However, I love my fence and I have added an indoor transmitter to help the doods stay out of trouble (cat litter!) in the house. It's a real winner, if you ask me!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lisa,

Can you explain the indoor transmitter? Thanks for your insight. What do I do if I install it myself to get it under the driveway in front of the house if I use the staples? Thanks,

Kim

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ours is also Petsafe from HomeDepot. For the driveway we inserted into the crack between the driveway and the curb and tucked it down in there. I know some of our neighbors had theirs installed and the installers put a slit in the driveway then sealed it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
unitedrn: The indoor transmitter is little round plastic box about the size of a dinner plate. You plug it in to any ac outlet in the house. It sends a signal around itself that will activate the same receiver collars that the petsafe fence uses. I have an extra wide archway in an area of the house I want to restrict my doods from (unless they're with me). It's way too wide for a gate. So I bought the transmitter (I think it's called Petsafe Indoor Invisible fence) for about $45.00. I set it on the floor under the sofa that is about 6 -8 feet away from the archway. There's a control knob that lets you adjust the diameter of the signal perimeter. It takes about 5 seconds to set up. Now my doods run up to the archway and screech to a stop. No gate. It's great because my cats can come and go (and so can we humans) but the doods have to stop. I love it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes! It's the same receiver. It IS awesome. It has saved my marriage, my shoe budget and several remote controls. Here's a link where I bought mine.

http://www.radiofence.com/dog_fences_wi ... indoor.htm

It took the doods less than an hour of training to get the hang of it. Now they only go into the rest of the house when they're invited... (I take off their collars and tell them that when they're with mommy, they're invincible!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts