Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age can you start a puppy on an underground electric fence? My puppy is around 13 weeks and is 27 + pounds. He is very receptive and learns quick.
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
215 Posts
electric fence

Do you already have an electric fence? I had a lab growing up that did very well with an electric fence. I don't think we got it until she was about 6 months old though. We had the company 'Invisible Fence' come and install it and they teach you how to train them on it. They put about a million flags in the ground where the fence is, and we had to shake the flags and say 'no' when she got too close to the fence. Then we would run to the middle of the yard and play so inside the fence = good, fenceline = bad. I would say that you could start training your pup to stay away from the fenceline, but 13 weeks just seems so young to shock her yet. I would say that you should wait a little longer to leave her alone in the yard, but you could start training her now. We used a long (30') leash until my dog was ready and knew to stay away from the fence. Hope this helped. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

G

·
The earliest you are supposed to start pups on the invisible fence is at least 5 months old. It's terrific - we've had it for 10 years & would never be without it. It's very important to take the time to train your pup properly so there are no accidental escapes, otherwise they'll figure out that they can endure a short zap & then escape to freedom. As far as my dogs go, they think they're safe from zaps only when they have a leash on as they leave our yard. Dogs are smart but also superstitious - mine think the leash is what "protects" them. They have never been allowed out of the yard without one on. They don't think of the collar as the source of the zap so that way if the collar is ever broken or lost, they won't think they can take off for parts unknown. They wear their special collars from the time they wake up until they settle in for the night. They only come off during the day if we are taking our dogs somewhere on a leash.
Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. I think 5 months sounds like a good plan. I already have the fence installed and it works wonders for my other two dogs. Cant wait until Murphy (my pup) is old enough for it.
Thanks
Terri lynn

·
Registered
215 Posts
Shannon-
Haha thanks! It's sad to see her all grown up! You should have seen her at the dog park yesterday- she was covered from head to toe in mud! Happy holidays!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would love to see those pictures.. LOL.. hey we are trying to plan an indoor romp for February at an agility place that another LD owner goes to.. If you are interested, I can keep you posted on the day and time. We are hoping it works out, but not sure yet.. Yes, i am amazed at them all grown up. Sad, and happy at the same time. I look at Phantoms puppy pics, and now he is a year old.. They grow up too fast!!! :lol: Summer is a beautiful color!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, count us in! That sounds wonderful... I wonder who will have more fun... the doodles, or us? Keep me posted!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks, count us in! That sounds wonderful... I wonder who will have more fun... the doodles, or us? Keep me posted!

Bridget and Summer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts