Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with undercoat in F1LDs. I think Gus is going to be a little shedder. Either that or has been shedding his puppy coat from 6 months old until now, about 10 months old. Time will tell....When we brush him he fills the brush a few times, and it seems to come from an undercoat. I guess he has an undercoat like a lab.

Shed? Who me?

No way dad....well maybe a little

Hershey doesnt shed, also F1LD. When we brush her next to nothing comes out in the comb and she seems to only have her top coat. Do poodles have undercoats?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Great pics !!

AB is an F1B - has never shed but this spring, I am getting much more hair when I brush her than normal and it is soft and fuzzy and appears to be "undercoat"

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
AB is an F1B - has never shed but this spring, I am getting much more hair when I brush her than normal and it is soft and fuzzy and appears to be "undercoat"
It's funny - Dex (F1B) has also been losing more hair this year than last. I don't know if it's an age or weather thing. It's still not bad, but I do find some tumbleweeds. Kirby still doesn't shed one bit!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Gus seems to have the same type of coat as Ozzie. Yeah... It looks like a Lab undercoat and it sheds out like crazy.

Ozzie pronounces it German style: Und, der coat!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
As much as I love to see and feel the silky fleece coat of my F1B pups (and adults), I honestly would trade their coats for F1 shed any time! F1 shed is usually light and they are soooooo much easier to groom and care for! (I know that I didn't answer your question...just trying to let you know that I am dealing with 6-8 dogs with matting and burrs and stickers...and poop dingle-berries! What I wouldn't give for 10 F1s this summer!)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jac said:
As much as I love to see and feel the silky fleece coat of my F1B pups (and adults), I honestly would trade their coats for F1 shed any time! F1 shed is usually light and they are soooooo much easier to groom and care for! (I know that I didn't answer your question...just trying to let you know that I am dealing with 6-8 dogs with matting and burrs and stickers...and poop dingle-berries! What I wouldn't give for 10 F1s this summer!)
I'm loving the once or twice a week 10 minute brush maintenance plan. We appreciate the feel etc.. of higher generation coats, but we love our scruffy F1s. I'm just wondering if the presence of an undercoat is more the norm or not, and if it is the shedding coat?

·
Registered
247 Posts
i wonder about this too. shaia is suddenly shedding. i think it's seasonal and blowing puppy coat. she's an F1. never shed at all and now there us hair everywhere. i can't get away from it. it's all over whatever i'm doing, including trying to eat or cook. half of her coat is still thick and lustrous and curly and half looks wiry or "blown out" as my bf calls it. i'm just trying to patiently wait and see what happens. i really love her coat now though, i hope she doesn't end up with bald spots or something.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut who never sheds ...was losing her undercoat that is untill she got clipped down to a 1/2in yesterday hahhaaaaa

Beau blew puppy coat from 6 mo to 8mos old and does NOT shed at all

Max sheds minimally but lately we're seeing lots of black fuzzies , i think it's the weather/seasonal

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jac, I deal with poop dingle-berries with Jett, an F1! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't worry about Gus. Jett's coat is like that, and I do find hair tufts on the floor, but she doesn't leave hair on clothes, furniture, etc. like a shedding dog does. I brush her with an undercoat brush and handfulls come out, I don't know where she hides the stuff. :wink:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what kind of undercoat brush do you use? I have heard good things for the furminator, but we're waiting until he is over 1 yr to make sure his adult coat needs it before we buy one. they're expensive here.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have one of each. Calvin is a shedder BIGTIME. He sheds all the time winter, summer, whatever. Lots and lots of fur all the time!

His sister Madge does not shed at all and has that curly cottony-soft poodle fur that mats like crazy! I had to shaver her to the skin a few weeks ago because she was so bad. I agree with Jac on the grooming issue. I LOVE Calvin's coat-shed or not. Easy to care for and never mats!
Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, Gus is so much like my F1 girls and they had those "feathers" too...and they both did shed a lot their first year, now Bayley hardly ever sheds and Lexie is very light.
They shed seasonally and after they finish nursing, but otherwise not bad at all.
Frankly, I have never understood an undercoat! LOL I do see, in my younger pups, that baby fine, fluffy "down" under their hair...so I guess it is an undercoat...but I see that much more in my F1Bs and fleece coated dogs...that is usually what causes the mats!

Vicky, isn't that funny...but at least with F1s you can see where you are cutting!!! Yikes! Those sissors do cut close sometimes!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver who has never shed, is growing in a longer coat
and the first time ever there was hair in the brush!!!!!!!!!
We are talking about a tablespoon full so I still consider him to be
non shedding....................

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have to agree with Jac. Poodle coats are a lot of work! When I brushed Moses and chip (purebred poodles) with longer coats I'd get some hair on the brush, but very little. My labs shed like labs do... the f1's out of them so far shed very little if at all, but are such a breeze to groom in comparison to a poodle! As far as ease of grooming and having to live with them in the house, give me an F1 anyday!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Toby spends a couple hrs. each day at the dog park and has
become quite popular with other dogs..he s just so friendly,
always looking for another dog to romp with..

i find it necessary to brush him then use a wipe on him nearly
everyday..he sleeps in bed with me and if i don t clean him
up good im wheezing all night.. :(

·
Registered
337 Posts
Here is the undercoat rake/dematting comb I use. The picture shows the dematting blades but you just flip those down and the undercoat rake pops up on the other side. It is a handy two-in-one tool. I don't use the undercoat rake on Copper when his coat gets longish as it seems to tear his coat, but it works wonders on Jett.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GD9FG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts