Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little venting!

So, I've wanted to get another pup for about 6 months, but my husband wants to hold off until we have more space. We are now in the process of buying our first home (so exciting!) with a big yard for Uma and a lot more space for us. I wondered over the the breeders site where we got Uma and...low and behold...her biological parents had another litter in November and there's a few little girls up for adoption!!!

Our vet has recommend us going with the same breeder b/c we are so insanely happy with Uma. So, I thought this was a done deal, but now my husband is saying he doesn't want a puppy in a brand new house!? what's a gal to do? I don't want to get the pup if he's not 100% on board, but it's been 2 years since her parents had their last litter and I don't want to miss this little girl.

Here's a pic...

She has chocolate points and green/gold eyes. I need her!

·
Registered
670 Posts
He saw that pic and he still doesnt want her?? Is he CRAZY?? :D
What a little cutie!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhhhh she's a dollbaby!!! how can your hubby say NO to that face :shock:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Katie I can so totally understand! When I wanted to get Dante my husband pulled the "I could live the rest of my life without getting another dog". It had been 7 years since I had lost my dalmation and we had agreed that when the kids were older we would get another dog. He argued that it wouldn't behave like he wanted it to, it would scratch the wood floors, etc. I reminded him that when the kids grew up and looked back on their childhood they would not remember pristine wood floors but would remember having a dog. But I didn't want to get a dog if he wasn't 100% on board as I didn't want him resenting it. He finally relented.

So we got Dante and I was very careful in his training. He doesn't chew things up, I crate trained him, and never allowed him on the furniture. Well who do you think throws toys across the wood floor for him to chase instead of keeping play time on the carpet? Who do you think lets him lay on his lap on the couch? And who do you think even let him on our bed this week? Sometimes I think men are impossible!!

G

·
Amen! Men are impossible! I would put the pic up on the fridge or bathroom mirror or something so he could look at her everyday. Plus are you moving into a newly built home? IF not try the arguement that you both will want to redecorate the new house in a few years when you have some equity so it is better to get the puppy now so if (remind him Uma had no accidents) there are a few accidents you will be replacing flooring in a year or two anyway so it is better to have accidents on the old stuff not the new stuff!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwwh...she's so cute!

I don't know what to tell you about your husband...what exactly are his concerns? Do you have the time to commit to 2 doodles?

My husband wanted a 2nd doodle more so than me so I was the one getting convinced :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Make him an offer he can't refuse :wink:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
mtd885 said:
Make him an offer he can't refuse :wink:
I would say sweeten the deal. And if he is like mine just wait till he is in a really good mood. Then ask. It worked for me.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Awwww.... She is a real cutie! But you already have one just like her!!

Maybe your husband is holding out for a different color?

Deb

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
HEY STOP THE MUSIC :shock: YOU ACTUALLY AGREE WITH YOUR HUSBAND :D GET THE DOG NOW BEFORE YOU MOVE :roll: Whats all the fuss?

·
Registered
462 Posts
mtd885 said:
HEY STOP THE MUSIC :shock: YOU ACTUALLY AGREE WITH YOUR HUSBAND :D GET THE DOG NOW BEFORE YOU MOVE :roll: Whats all the fuss?
That might not be such a bad idea. I don't know how much longer you're going to be at your current place, but, she's still small enough that being in a smaller place won't be that problematic. Also, you could get out some of the puppy problems at the present place, rather than have them happen in the new place.

Good luck. She's beautiful.

·
Registered
985 Posts
After we had to put our Great Dane down DH told me that he knew I was going to want another dog but please, he didn't want to discuss it for awhile because he was too heartbroken. Normally I'm the one who pushes the idea of a new dog anyway, so I just quietly went on my way researching labradoodles. I had seen a photo of a black doodle in a NYTimes Magazine article on designer dogs last winter and had fallen in love.

When Chouette was born and it was time to put down a deposit I told DH that I had found a puppy I wanted and I needed to make a financial commitment now, so what did he think. He told me to get the dog since he knew I wanted it, and since marriage is a two-way street, but he made it clear that he didn't want to hear about it or talk about it. He said that he really hadn't wanted another dog because it would tie us down, and because it was nice not to have to take a pup out at ten o'clock every night when he just wanted to crash. So until she arrived at the airport he had no idea what we were getting, and then he was worried because doodles are water dogs both ways and we live on a river!

But of course when she came he gradually and grudgingly fell in love with her, and now talks about how adorable and what a sweet girl she is. It does help tremendously that she's so good. But even when she was evil as a wee thing, he would reassure me that she was just a puppy.

If I were you I'd remind DH of his initial commitment and also remind him of all the times you've acceded to his wishes! I think Uma should have a sister!

Good luck!

Leslie

G

·
Katie,
When I thought I wanted a second dog, I let hubby know. He was not so sure...One night I printed out the photo of the dog I wanted and brought it upstairs to show him. Since he was already asleep, I put it on the bed and went to sleep. In the morning , he said, "Wow, I didn't know another dog was so important to you that you would actually sleep with the picture! If it's that important to you, let's get him." :lol:
So maybe you just need to honestly let him know how important this is to you, it's not just a passing whim, but something you feel VERY strongly about.
(PS: I never did get the second dog, I got cold feet!)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I absolutely agree that the puppy needs to come home NOW so that she's trained by the time you get to the new house!

I am sending good vibes your way!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, the rationale that getting the puppy soon
while in the old house~ makes very good sense...
although, with a puppy you may need to reinforce
potty training at the new....

Having two, in some ways is easier....
as they play together alot!
But, Doodle 500's become a bit more rambunctious....
Outside play together takes its toll on the pansies....
Things Coco never ever did before, she does now....
digging to China with Abby~ for one.........
( I have heard that it is because they are bored that they dig,
but I think it is instinct, partly, and besides,
they are having a blast together....I put a little poop in the
holes they dug and they have stopped that....)
The can of pennies is a God-Send for times like these, too!

Now, don't get me wrong!!! I LOVE having both these girls!
It is a commitment to raise a new puppy....and since Coco
is only 14 months old...she is still a pup, too...so vigilance, patience,
diligence, consistency, Time and Training are paramount!!

I think getting a new one now is better.....
before the rush and work of a move.....
it also will give bonding time before
everyone is thrust into an adjustment.....
Just thinking out loud....and chattering!

I think you Need the puppy.....
so am hoping your husband gives in!
Just really think about the timing and be honest
with yourself as to what would work out the best.....
don't want your husband to have regrets
for giving in.....as others have said, and mine is no exception,
they change their tune once they have the new love around for a bit.

8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok most of you know i was the meanie in my house for 5 years and had 1001 reasons WHY NOT to get A DOG (again) hahhaa
so i kept to my word and got 3 :shock:

For us i have found that having 2 and now 3 doodles, well they do keep each other company having a blast playing and for some reason there is more of a balance as well as seem more content.
Dont' ask me why--but i get more work done with 3 than i did with one.
OH, Dave, my son and I work as a team. They'll help walking them while i do the training with them reinforcing it.

good luck and i am with the others: start training a new puppy in the old house first :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We got Kirby as an older dog, so my opinion will be a bit different than others...but honesly most of the time, having 2 is not any more difficult than 1. These are the times it's more difficult:

1) Walking 2 is more work than walking 1
2) Going out in public (to the store, park, etc) is more cumbersome with 2
3) Some people don't mind you bringing 1 dog to their house - 2 is another story...if you go on vacation it's more trouble to find doodle sitting for 2.
4) Food/vet bills are more

Besides that I really don't find it more work. You throw a ball...2 doodles chase it :) You lay on the sofa...2 doodles lay near you. They def do entertain each other, but still want us to do things with them (but so would just 1 doodle).

Ok I'm done rambling :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks like I"m late to this conversation. I just got my second dog - Charlie my doodle. We already have Elsa our 2-yr old Golden. Starting with anew pup is another commitment. Like having our second child. Yesterday we had a fun bout of diarrhea. Today he peed in the house. He's six mos. Thought he was progressing on house breaking. All that said, I really wanted a second dog. So, hang in there.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I agree you need her.

Your husband doesn't read this does he???? Once, when I absolutely needed a dog, I gave my stepdaughter the money to but me a dog for my birthday!! It worked . . . sort of. My husband was furious--with her for being so presumptious. And then at me after I confessed . . . but once "our" new dog was home, well, he stayed with us forever!!! :D

OK, maybe not the best idea, but it did work! :oops:

Use your imagination. you'll get that little girl!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts